Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Veteran Forum (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welts? (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=20103)

paintballkid0206 05-25-2009 02:17 PM

Welts?

I went paintballing last weekend, and, while inspecting my welts, I got around to thinking. Why are they shaped like donuts? They are only red/bruised in a ring, the center seems untouched. You would think there would b some redness, at least, in the center, because that's the spot that first gets hit. or, once the ball hits, does the force spread out as the ball breaks? anyone have an explaination?

Critical 05-25-2009 04:36 PM

Re: Welts?

I've never done an in-depth investigation, but I would assume that your skin basically does the same thing that water does when a rock or something gets tossed in, with the waves and stuff that you see in the high speed film, and that's why the ring, because it's what moves the most, as opposed to the center which only gets pushed in.

slim and shady 05-25-2009 04:52 PM

Its just the way the ball breaks if you shoot something solid like plywood then go take a look at it it does the same thing. For the most part there is little to no paint in the center but there is a "Ring" of paint around the hallow middle. I would emagin you welt in this same manner because of the way the impact spreads out. Cant say for sure though, could be way wrong :)

Hoppy11 05-25-2009 05:19 PM

Send it into mythbusters.

Paintball Freak 05-25-2009 05:41 PM

^
^^
l
l
l
Exactly what I was thinking!

I want to see Adam get shot, and Jamie the one to do it... lol

bamf-hacker 05-25-2009 05:53 PM

They already had paintball on Mythbusters and besides the paintball welt is not a bustable myth.

When the ball hits you the force spreads out quickly and the resulting bruise is from the skin moving. If you get hit on a boney spot you are more likely to get a solid bruise.

Paintball Freak 05-25-2009 07:42 PM

I was just wanting to see Adam get lit up, it didn't really care about a myth lol

kramernator 05-26-2009 01:38 PM

or... how bout this,
its really hard to explain, so sorry if this doesn't make any sense...

when the ball hits you, the round front face (part that hits you first) is weak, (its a simple concept, domes are not a strong shape) resulting in little or no welt. but the sides of the ball are stronger, so they push on the skin, or maybe cut it a little, and that is why the welt is circular.

ok so the red is the face that will hit you (the pinkish tan), so the red is also the weakest spot on the ball, and the blue, is the strongest spot, so thats why it will make a ring.

let me know if you know what i am talking about

RSX99 05-26-2009 02:41 PM

May be just me but I'm pretty sure a sphere is structurally sound.

DFSniper 05-26-2009 02:44 PM

makes sense.

i tried looking up time warp videos on youtube, but i couldnt find any good ones. just the paintball shot to the eye and the one where the girl gets shot at 320fps...