Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   my dilemma (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16794)

DFSniper 05-11-2008 03:56 PM

my dilemma

so for those of you who don't know, i'm a first year college student working for almost minimum wage, meaning i have very little money to spend on paintball. a few days ago i decided to build a budget timmy off of a GZ body (haven't bought it yet.) i was thinking about the total cost, and realized that i may be better off financially if i just bought a used timmy for under $200 or possibly a 2k5 for under $250.

what do you guys think i should do?

Hossy 05-11-2008 03:59 PM

Re: my dilemma

just buy a timmy
they are cheaper, and you can stay on your studies and work and not worry about certain parts to come in and stuff, as well as working on it.

vikingshadow 05-11-2008 03:59 PM

Like I mentioned on PBN, it's not about the gun or the cost. It's the building that makes it special. If you REALLY want to make a spimmy and it takes you 5 years, then so be it. In the end, it's all yours and not someone elses junk you just happened to buy, just to strip the parts off and bolt onto a spyder body.

However, if you need a gun desperately and soon, then I'd go with a Timmy.

Edit - do you really spend that much time thinking about your belly button? :devil:

second edit - someone's going to wonder what the heck I'm talking about....

Hoppy11 05-11-2008 04:03 PM

Honestly I would save some money. Getting new markers is sweet I know, even after the one time I played this year I was like man I need to get back into this because it is so awesome and addicting but after two years of college I gotta say just save some money. I have run into so many binds where I have to call my parents and just flat out ask for some money because I have to eat/put gas in my car and I am that broke.

I also always try to have at least 500 in my savings account because I know if it really comes down to it I know I have that there but I try not to touch it.. actually I went most of this year with my savings at or above a grand. I would suggest trying to do something like that.

So I am defiantly saying save yourself whatever money you can.

DFSniper 05-11-2008 04:04 PM

i have 3 working guns right now, so i doubt i'll NEED a gun anytime soon :D

i keep thinking about it, and i kind of want to go the classic route (GZ body, 2k2 clamshell, dualies, etc). i've been searching IO's b/s/t looking for deals and trying to come up with a grand total.

edit: hoppy, i still have my entire student loan from this year ($3,500) for emergencies, so i'm not too worried about that, but thanks for the advice.

oldironmudder 05-11-2008 04:21 PM

When I went off to college, I took my TL+, tools, & classic frame with the idea Im gonna build a sweet classic timmy over the next year (one year diesel college). Within two months or so I found out it would be harder than I thought. Little funds, the studies & the after hours fun proved to take alot more of my time & money than I thought.

In the end I just built a solid blowback and blew than money on other stuff, many are to stupid or just bad to name.

Well, I some how forgot what I was really gonna say so..............

Vike does have a good point, if you build it, it will be yours & not just a cheap marker you picked up.

DFSniper 05-11-2008 04:29 PM

well, this will be a summer project, so i'll be trying to pull about 40 hours a week starting next week, which should give me about $800 a month. what concerns me is not knowing how much financial aid will cover next year, because last year my dad's pay was tax free (he was in iraq for 14 months) so i got everything paid for because our family had $0 taxable income.

Hoppy11 05-11-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFSniper (Post 200415)

edit: hoppy, i still have my entire student loan from this year ($3,500) for emergencies, so i'm not too worried about that, but thanks for the advice.

You only have to take out a loan for 3500?!?!?! Damn... wish I could go to your college, I could pay for that out of my pocket easily.

DFSniper 05-11-2008 04:37 PM

lol. $119 a credit for in-state. i spent about $1600 first semester and $1900 second semester, not including books. D paid like $800 per semster! community college FTW!

irishwarrior 05-11-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingshadow (Post 200413)
Like I mentioned on PBN, it's not about the gun or the cost. It's the building that makes it special. If you REALLY want to make a spimmy and it takes you 5 years, then so be it. In the end, it's all yours and not someone elses junk you just happened to buy, just to strip the parts off and bolt onto a spyder body.

However, if you need a gun desperately and soon, then I'd go with a Timmy.

Edit - do you really spend that much time thinking about your belly button? :devil:

second edit - someone's going to wonder what the heck I'm talking about....

What are you talking about?

I would save and that way if you see something that catches your eye and you want that more, you have the cash to get it.