Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Veteran Forum (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!! (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15999)

STRIKEFIRST 03-24-2008 05:33 PM

Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!!

I was at my local shop today and a guy on there staff team comes up and says hey I hear you have a 6 year old...of course the proud papa I am, I'm like hell yeah check her out...she loves golf and paintball...yadda yadda yadda...he says mine turns 6 on monday...

AND he says why don't we put these two together on a midget kids team...I laugh it off...first I have never heard of anyone under 8 playing second the wife would never ever ever go for it.

Uh...MY WIFE WENT FOR IT.

She thinks it's a great idea!!! WHERE IS THE WOMAN I MARRIED?

If there is a "youth league" that young...would you let your 6 year old play?

I can only assume you would use brittle paint and a low velocity?

My world is upside down...My wife went for this...I'm speechless...not to mention a six year old who over heard everything and wants to know what gun she'll shoot!!!!!

Someone out there give this Dad some direction!:confused:

Hossy 03-24-2008 05:37 PM

Re: Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!!

Isnt there a law or something that you have to be atleast 9?
atleast thats the way where I live. I would try to wait a few years, or atleast make your daughter learn the rules, and the importance of following them.

EDIT:
the last thing we need is another one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DQdxX6ttU

Critical 03-24-2008 05:40 PM

I'd do it. Especially since it would be all kids her same age/size. That would eliminate a lot of the danger posed by older/more aggressive players.

Make her play pump.

Team Ramrod 03-24-2008 05:41 PM

yeah, every insurance waiver ive seen requires that the person be at least 10yrs old to play. might want to check it out. personally, i think its a little young to be playing, but i suppose with all yours close supervision and velocities turned down you could get away with it in your own personal renegade field.

Sandman_Bravo 03-24-2008 06:25 PM

The primary reason (I was told) that 10 years old is the minimum age is that:
1- masks don't fit correctly and snugly on smaller heads
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.

vikingshadow 03-24-2008 06:31 PM

^^^I thought the minimum age was 10 yrs old - I know it is at our field, anyways.

I wouldn't let my 6 yr old play, only because I believe they are incabable of understanding certain aspects of the game - and honestly, I wouldn't trust them with common things like safety, courtesy, and I really don't think they can handle the pain as well.

It's been proven that children below a certain age aren't capable of certain things...we're talking kindergarten/1st grade here. Shoot, I've seen 4th and 5th graders not be able to follow the rules of the game very well, and some just can't handle getting shot.

Speaking as a father of two girls that I wish would play the game with me, I wouldn't put anyone under 10 on the field - what? We have to start them early now?

SpyderMan723 03-24-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman_Bravo (Post 190676)
The primary reason (I was told) that 10 years old is the minimum age is that:
1- masks don't fit correctly and snugly on smaller heads
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.

I can see the mask thing playing a role..

but have you heard of PADDING? stuff a few pillows under their shirt and send them out to battle!

Sandman_Bravo 03-24-2008 06:34 PM

^I'd rather be a responsible father and wait until they are ready to play.

SpyderMan723 03-24-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman_Bravo (Post 190680)
^I'd rather be a responsible father and wait until they are ready to play.

Understandable.

My dad was pretty responsible when he took me to my first game....:dodgy:

(tried to change modes on his pilot and shot me in the back at point blank range.)

:( I made sure mom heard about that one.

bigred76 03-24-2008 06:45 PM

I have to agree with Vike. Their minds are just not ready for it at that age. It could be done if there was a ref for each child, and the requirements included all the padding out there that's available (neck protectors, slider pants, arm pads, knee pads, chest protectors, headshields, etc), as it would prevent any injury that would seriously harm the child. Given, it is a bit excessive to some, but these are LITTLE children we're talking about.