Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   GuerrillaAir Regulators (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13634)

druid 10-31-2007 08:09 AM

GuerrillaAir Regulators

About 8 months ago I got a (Click it) GuerrillaAir ***U Bottle Regulator and the box was perfectly square and the reg was securely packaged in a plastic blister box, in packing peanuts.
I took it out and mounted it on my 88/45. I'll get pics of it later but it came out of the pack, a great looking reg.
The machining was top quality and the anno was perfect. This reg is about as long as the old AA/Armageddon regs of yesteryear.
Installation is easy enough but for those that are unfamiliar with tank reg mounting, you should have your proshop install it. There's a dive shop here that slow-fills my bottles (the Proshop flash-fills them) and it's initial fill was made to see if it holds air in storage. While the bottle was still warm, the gauge read 4600 psi. After the bottle cooled it read slightly lower than 4400 psi. Checking the bottle every other day for 2 weeks....it held every bit of cooled air that was in it.
Playing with it...it's a better reg than I'm used to. My renegade field's not too far from me and we set up a quick game so I could test it. I've used it with my Stage 5'd Ion set to 20 bps ramping, Tippmann M98, 68 Magnum, Trracer and lastly, my Classic Mag.
On the Ion, there was absolutely no shoot-down that I could detect. It was fast and furious to say the least.
The M98 (being the gas hog that is it's nature), ran just as smoothly.
The 68 Magnum is a bit of a different story...it doesn't like HPA and never did - but it seemed to run ok with this particular reg (as opposed to a Crossfire and MaxFlo) even though it wasn't as astounding as it is on CO2.
The traccer liked it ok and the Mag runs great on it.

So after using this one and liking it a lot, I decided that I'd replace my MaxFlo in-line with another reg. The MaxFlo's on my 114/45 and set up for remote. I go to Guerrilla's web page and see that the (Click it) Myth, that is normally $99.95, is on Halloween sale for $64.95 - Oh yeah...this I gotta try.

So I ordered the Myth. Same thing applies about shipping/boxed appearances. Opening the pack, I'm like WTF?!...........this thing is TINY! It looks good, don't get me wrong...but man, is it smmmmmmaaaaalllllllll...

I took 3 pics of it so you can see. I used a yellow thread protector and a U.S. Quarter to show size reference. It looks funny on the 114...lmfao. I have not yet filled it with air but will later this week.

EDIT 14 Nov 2007 - Review of the Myth(TM) posted below.

With the supplied nipple cover:

Nipple cover removed:

On a 114/45:

Oh yeah BTW.........I got a new camera ........lmao.......

MR2 Woodsballer 10-31-2007 08:43 AM

Re: GuerrillaAir Regulators

Great Pics and good review druid

Team Ramrod 10-31-2007 10:53 AM

Screw the review, Druid has a camera now, thats the biggest news of all!!!!!

But seriously, good review, and that reg sure is tiny!

druid 10-31-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Ramrod
Screw the review,

Druid has a camera now, thats the biggest news of all!!!!!

But seriously, good review, and that reg sure is tiny!

....yer so ffffffffffffffffffuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny :dodgy:........... lmao

yeah, thanks. And the Camera's a Kodak EasyShare M753...up to 7.0 Megapixel (adjustable) and it was set at 5.0 MP for these shots.

VS3 Sniper 10-31-2007 07:36 PM

How good is the recharge rate on the myth I heard it was bad on a forum somewhere.

druid 10-31-2007 08:29 PM

well, it's not that it's the recharge rate - per se - The ***U's recharge is damned fast. The Myth is supposed to be just as fast. It's more that it's a medium pressure reg that's output is in the 600 psi range. It may cause shootdown in faster/top-end markers but for what I have...it's perfect.

leed 11-01-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid
well, it's not that it's the recharge rate - per se - The ***U's recharge is damned fast. The Myth is supposed to be just as fast. It's more that it's a medium pressure reg that's output is in the 600 psi range. It may cause shootdown in faster/top-end markers but for what I have...it's perfect.

Yup yup. It will work fine on most markers, though. The only markers I can imagine it having trouble with are Ego's, but I used mine on one, and it kept up fine.

However, within the first two days I used it, it developed a leak from the bleed port hidden behind the gauge. The leak is no longer noticeable (who knows why), but it still leaks out over night. Almost entirely. But Guerrilla Air is pretty good about taking care of it's customers, and I plan to ship it out soon.

druid 11-01-2007 09:40 PM

see now, I have the ***U-88/45 already charged and ready to roll. This is about it's 20th fill and never had the leak you described in your experience. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say dirt got in it or there's a problem with the poppet/seat.

druid 11-13-2007 10:57 PM

OK...review of the MYTH(TM) regulator...

On Sunday the 11th I played using this reg. Temperature started at about 40*F and the warmest it got was about 58*F around noon~ish. On my 114/45, I started with 4200 psi.

* 500 balls put through the Ion. Amount of air remaining was approx 3700 psi. Air used=approx 500 psi
* 250 balls put through the Mag. Air remaining from 3700 was approx 3100 psi. Air used=approx 600 psi
* 50 balls put through the pump. From 3100 psi was approx 2900 psi. Air used was approx 200 psi
* 25 balls through the M98. 2900 psi to 2600 psi. Air used was approx 300 psi. Not only did the marker eat a ton of air, there was recocking failures galore. I stopped at 25 out of disgust for this particular combination of reg/marker.

Air used was calculated to rounding DOWN to the nearest line to the needle.

Use on a highly upped ION as I described below:
Lucky Stage 5 Ion, Spitfire Stage 4 board, CP (long) reg, CP trigger, Trinity on/off, TechT L6v2 bolt, Clippard QEV, 14" Freak barrel, Halo B with rip. Semi and 15 bps ramping used.

It was the bomb with my Ion. The recharge rate was unbelievably fast...much faster than I was anticipating. My Op Pressure for 280 fps was 125 and it absolutely shot ropes. Semi was fast enough so I swapped it to 15 bps ramping. It kept up just fine and my in-line reg gauge never dipped below half of one line (50 psi increment). It looked more like it was 'wobbling' from vibration more than anything else. Absolute A+/10 of 10 for this particular marker.

68 Classic AutoMag:
Here I ran into some trouble. The stock Mag needs a higher psi to operate properly and being that the valve is also the reg...I experienced shootdown. If I fired slowly...<2 bps it worked great. Getting on the trigger though, I would watch the paint fall closer and closer to me in that string. I knew this was going to happen but I didn't think to this extreme. Rating C or 7/10. My suggestion is not to use the Myth with a Mag. Use the HP ***U, Assault or Ambush models of regulator instead.

68 Magnum:
Recharge was alright with the pump because it's a slower action marker. The marker was giving me some crap but again...this one never liked HPA from any bottle I ever used. All things considered...I'd rate it a B+ or 8/10.

Tippmann M98:
Same as the Mag but worse. At least the Mag is tunable wheras the M98 is not. Shootdown was absolutely horrible and to the point of multiple recocking failures. DO NOT use the MYTH with any HP Tippmann marker. You'll be disappointed to say the least. Consider this an F or 1/10 grade for Tippmanns.

So there you have it. The MYTH reg is not for use with HP stacked or single-tube markers. It worked awesomely with the LP Ion. If the Mag were able to work at a lower OP pressure, I'm sure it would have done better at higher speeds.

I'm still happy I bought it. It's a phenominal reg that's really intended for LP markers. Have an LP marker? Get it and son't look back. Have a lower-end HP marker? Skip the MYTH and get the HP regs that GuerrillaAir offers. You'll be much happier.