Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   FEP Quest (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12548)

NeedForSpeed 08-13-2007 10:15 AM

FEP Quest

Just for the heads up.
Once I get some stuff done around here, I'm going to be posting a review up on an FEP Quest for all those interested.

I’ll bring the Quest to the field and nobody will know what it is so I’ve decided to write a review to let people know why I shoot a Quest and why it’s defiantly worth a try to any paintballer.

How it works animation:

First Impressions –
Comes in Tombstone shaped box with barrel and all the items you need to maintain it. With mine I bought a goldmember, classic rail/asa, and bionic headlock all nicely packed

Size
Its smaller then it looks and with two trigger frame positions it is great for small hands and large hands alike. After moving the trigger frame forward on backward on the body I settle with the forward position on mine and note that the simple moving of the frame really makes a difference!

Compared to an Alias Timmy and an Empire II. Note that the markers are techincally the same size but when you move the trigger frame foward on the Quest, makes the Quest profile much smaller.

Weight
It’s light but all markers are these days. Not the lightest marker out there but it is well balanced. I swing it back and forth from the bottom of the frame and it feels great. With a 68/4500 tank, barrel, and halo I am really impressed with the feel. I favor its feel over my intimidators. After comparing it with different markers at the field I feel that it’s one of if not the greatest feeling marker out there. I just wish the trigger frame was a tad thinner but I don’t usually wrap my hand around it anyway so that doesn’t matter.

Trigger
I’ve used many triggers on many different markers and this magnetic trigger just blew my mind. It’s very smooth and tight. After messing with its 3 point adjustment it feels great. Well done FEP.

Simplicity and Maintenance
Takes me about 1-2 minutes to strip, clean, relube, and put back. 7 o-rings in the whole mechanism. Easy

Barrel
14” two piece .689 smooth bore, matches marker, and kit can be expanded upon.
never used though due the fact that I have other barrel kits.

Gassing up
First time I screwed the barrel in, hook up the tank, and listened. Got no leaks. Here I will also voice one of my few complaints. The ASA’s that FEP offer do not come with an on/off ASA. It’s not necessarily needed but I’m think about buying one. I’m hoping FEP will make one to match the marker though. That would be nice.

Shooting
The WAS board is easy to use. I get that smooth feel while ripping and no barrel rise what so ever. The marker imo shoots better then my teched timmy's that I’ve worked with for a long while. Without paint the marker is pretty loud but what marker isn’t?
The markers shoots at about 85 psi consistently. People have gotten there makers to operate around 50 psi but I’m not trying that until it’s absolutely fully broken in which I don’t think it is yet.

Efficiency
Extremely good. With goldmember bolt I get around 1800 balls. Thats almost a whole dang case on a 68/4500.

Conclusion
I've been shooting Timmy's for my whole paintball career after my spyder. I've always like timmy's but this marker has totaly replaced my timmy's as I am now selling them. It's pretty cheap right now, you can find one for about $400-$450 and it's a GREAT buy imo. It's a very smooth, efficient, and balanced marker. I've has many markers pass through my hands(besides timmy's of course) and right now, I would have to say I am very happy with this one.

please tell me if you want me to add anything else such as pictures, specification, or comparisons.

note: I did not put those stickers on the Halo, the shells came that way. I got them for very very cheap.

NeedForSpeed 08-13-2007 10:16 AM

Re: FEP Quest

Comparisons

Quest vs. Empire II
Size: Quest is not as long with trigger frame in front position. Hieght is about the same.
Weight: The Quest feels slightly heavier.
Trigger: Quest's trigger is amazing. I like it better then any timmy's
Maintenance: Takes me 2-3 minutes to lube the Quest/check o-rings. Takes longer on any Timmy
Reliability: Quest has never failed me yet where I have had a few problems with the Empire
Feel: Quest is smoother then my Empire II and Alias
Efficiency: Similiar. Doesn't really matter though with all day air. Never really tested it an my Empire II

may have a comparison with an NXT shocker within the next 2 weeks.

oldironmudder 08-13-2007 10:21 AM

ok, stupid question, what is it? :confused:

EDIT: AHH kinda fugly for the first 2 seconds then hmm a strange feeling of niceness

HelpDeskHustler 08-13-2007 11:55 AM

A quest is basically a shocker with heavy reciprocating mass from what i could tell. They try to play off the whole "it's a completely different design" but really the only part that moved is the solenoid.

oldironmudder 08-13-2007 01:14 PM

Well hasnt the high end markers basicly settled down to a hand full of different internal designs?

Tito=PBL 08-13-2007 08:07 PM

ill like to know more about the quest. i havent heard much about them. operating at 85 psi is crazy. my pmr runs off of 150psi and i thought that was low. and 1800 shots that really nice.
hows the grouping on that thing?

HelpDeskHustler 08-14-2007 05:00 AM

ah... i was beaten to it.

NeedForSpeed 08-14-2007 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito=PBL
hows the grouping on that thing?

Using a Powerlyte Sceptor kit and a Freak its ball on ball all day long.

Theheroguy 08-14-2007 08:54 AM

I love ques t atleast 5 at oa everytime I go
the trigger is better than a critical imo and its so simple to maintain
also I love how the slider frame lets you move the reg farther and closer away from the trigger frame

ross * pilot 08-15-2007 08:27 AM

vid vid vid!