PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on this one

ttam13xlpb
03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
ok..me and my friends got a team up a while ago and we arent bad.we will be playing a few tourneys this summer and hopefully work our way out of the begginer league...anyway i have been thinking about what to do with my marker and i have come up with 4 choices...either save up and buy a rail this summer and already have a good marker,upgrade my spyder pilot and use it until we get in the open or novice division,finish this year with my near stock pilot and buy a nice high-end gun next season,or buy a vs2 and upgrade it to use for awhile?..just need an opinion on this to see what yall would do in this situation,i have a pretty good idea about what i want to do but on the other hand i dont know:confused: all of(or most anyway)are upgrading to ions..i dont really like em all that much so i was looking at the vs2,also i was wondering if the vs2 close competition for the ion,both completely stock.
thanks for the help in advanced guys:D........and oh yeah its a public poll thanks guys

HelpDeskHustler
03-17-2007, 06:35 PM
either get the rail now, or buy a high end later, or buy rail now, trade for h.e.g later, or buy rail and up. so since 3/4 of mine invole the rail... get the rail is my answer

Rails are SICK.

vikingshadow
03-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I say get the rail, and forget about getting a "high end gun" later. Rails are fast, light, have all the modes you need on the stock frame, and the only thing, if any, that you might need to upgrade is the trigger, although some people like it. VS2's are nice, as are some Ions, but the Rail blows them all out of the water. I'm not going to compare the Rail to the PM6 or PM7 because honestly, who cares? It does EXACTLY what a tournament gun should do with ease of maintenance and use.

I have a Rail and it slings paint just as well, if not better, than my Shocker ever did - and that's a shocker with MEGA upgrades, compared to an almost stock Rail.

I really need to get a video up on this beast.

ttam13xlpb
03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
ok thanks i was going tword the rail i was jw what some of you thought about it.....i would really like to see that vid;)

Backmanshooter
03-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I'd stick with a pilot unless you feel it lacks what you want in a marker. Pilots are great markers. But its up to you. I'd go with a Rail myself. ;)

HelpDeskHustler
03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm buying a rail because of vikes review. but im gonna ultralite it.

08Lud08
03-17-2007, 09:04 PM
I used my friends rail and that gun rips stock. Some people may think the stock parts suck but they aren't that bad, Id take a stock rail over any upped ion any time.

Theheroguy
03-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Stick withthe pilot until you realy get into the thick of things

vikingshadow
03-18-2007, 05:43 AM
I'm buying a rail because of vikes review. but im gonna ultralite it.

:thumbup: Glad I could help!

I've been thinking of getting an UL frame, but don't know if I want to drop the 200 bucks on it. The stock frame is great - really comfy, so it's mostly that I just want to upgrade it, but I have small hands and would really like to try one to see if it really is all that much better.

If you're thinking of an UL barrel, I'm not so sure I would go that route. I know they're good barrels, but I'm of the same school of thought that was rather prevalent a few years ago - any aftermarket barrel is good, and if it's over 50.00 it's sort of a waste, IMHO.

ttam - good decision! Honestly, this gun serves it's purpose wonderfully whether you get thick into tournaments or not. You'll definitely like it. However, on the off chance you won't, I've noticed that resale has not dropped much at all on these guns. It's a win-win situation!

Theheroguy
03-18-2007, 06:11 AM
oh I was under the assumption that hewas tourneyball or noball at all don't know why I thought that

Oscum Guy
03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
:thumbup: Glad I could help!

I've been thinking of getting an UL frame, but don't know if I want to drop the 200 bucks on it. The stock frame is great - really comfy, so it's mostly that I just want to upgrade it, but I have small hands and would really like to try one to see if it really is all that much better.

If you're thinking of an UL barrel, I'm not so sure I would go that route. I know they're good barrels, but I'm of the same school of thought that was rather prevalent a few years ago - any aftermarket barrel is good, and if it's over 50.00 it's sort of a waste, IMHO.

ttam - good decision! Honestly, this gun serves it's purpose wonderfully whether you get thick into tournaments or not. You'll definitely like it. However, on the off chance you won't, I've noticed that resale has not dropped much at all on these guns. It's a win-win situation!

me: small hands shooting a timmy. lol.

HelpDeskHustler
03-18-2007, 11:37 AM
i'd like to give vike all of the credit, but mainly it was him saying it didn't suck, since i trust his judgement, and then these vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9ggUfwLfI
-gave me an idea about fieldstripping and shows off the UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfbghGKSbg8
- a great video review.

vikingshadow
03-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I watched that second one before I bought mine also. Helped me make up my mind after that. I'll try to get a video made this week (Spring Break, YES!) and then I can post it to help others decide one way or the other.

Seriously though, back on the topic of the thread, the best way to decide is to just hold and shoot one. If you're like me, unfortunately, you don't have the opportunity to do this so you're just shooting in the dark when buying a gun - pardon the pun. My suggestion to the threadstarter is to go to your local field and see if you can shoot those guns and decide from that.

HelpDeskHustler
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
vike, if you do get a UL frame get alot of well lighted pics, cuz all i've seen so far is a bunch of bad pics of the UL on the pmr

vikingshadow
03-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Will do, but it might be awhile. I need to be able to justify the added expense for no added performance. Who knows? I may change my mind this week, though!

MVS1
03-18-2007, 05:56 PM
get the rail and a good on/off asa w/bleed off. barrel kit wouldnt be a bad idea but the stock one is pretty accurate and as long as you stick with paint that has matches your barrel youll be fine. i talked my buddy into getting a rail and he palyed it for the first time this weekend and i was really impressed. one thing he was pleased with is how much less paint he used with the same number of kills if not more that he would get with his 06 electra. he no longer has to spray paint to get kills. as for the ul frame, save your money for tourny fee, better hopper, etc.

ttam13xlpb
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
ok i probably will get the rail..the only thing keeping me from knowing it for sure is that i will probably only have around $1000 to play on this summer,and that has to cover the rail and tourney money and practice money for paint and everything else

ttam13xlpb
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
ok so as yall know my plans were to get the rail this summer but im not sure if my budget can take that big of a dent or not.i will have about $1000..i already plan on buying something not paintball related that will cost me about $150 then the cost of tourneys will probably be around $400 so we are only looking at about $450 to spend on paintball so i still need to buy some other gear too so take another $100 and i have around $350..i mite need to go with the vs2.sooo..almost all of my other team mates are getting ions and i dont really like them as much as my pilot.the pilot is probably my favorite gun i have owned and i would like to stay with the spyder if i dont upgrade to a way better gun.how does the vs2 stack up against the ion in speed?