PDA

View Full Version : Spyder mr2 sniper barrel?

Inquisitor
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Does anybody know a good sniper barrel in the 20" or so legnth that will fit and is on the market?

ViperX
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Don't mean to be rude here, but why bother with a "sniper" barrel? Anything over 14" and you are just wasting air pressure. Have you ever attempted to play with a 20" barrel, manuvering is impracticle and you aren't going to benefit any except maybe a hair more accuracy and that's stretching it. I'd play a round or two with someone else's 20" marker setup before spilling out the dough$$ to buy one yourself and end up not liking it. I had an 18" and promptly sold it after it's first use.

But to answer your question, look into the J&J line of barrels. I believe they may make a 20". I personally own a 14" and the J&J edge barrel system(apex as well). The J&J edge won't fit in the shroud but their standard single piece barrels will.

Good luck!

QuiGonKen
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
lol well i have a 20" barrel...not because i wanted a sniper barrel, but b/c i couldnt find a barrel that didnt flare in the end lol...

but SP tactical comes in 20" and 16" so u should check it out..im pretty sure i have the 20", it takes a while to get used to but its done me well so far :D

Inquisitor
03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Hmmm i am going to have to consider that viperX, it is pretty accurate now but out of curiosity what is the point of having that apex thing at the end of the barrel?
I am quite new to this and yeah just wondering

Glasher
03-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I have a J&J Barrel with a mounted Apex device on it if I need to turn into sniper mode I juts put my apex in flat line mode and voila

Inquisitor
03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
I still don't know how that apex part works?

tygger91
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Its a Little Ramp system that basically puts a spin on the paintball. You can twist it in various directions.

The ramp will kinda launch the paintball as it exits the Apex barrel "System" and spin it.

The spin will make it travel and than curve in your desired direction.
You can make the paintball shoot and curve left, right, down, and etc..

I believe this happens when the paintball looses forward velocity and the spin velocity kicks in and curves it. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Apex can be mounted on many barrels, with Electric Tape. Its just and attachment you can stick on, like a shroud, but with performance enhancements.

My friend has an Apex, and I believe the Sniper Mode with the long flat shots work very well. He probably gets at least an extra 25-30 feet over what I am shooting.

Great investment if you want to dial in your marker perfectly. When you can mod it up with a different aftermarket barrel, its pretty amazing as Glasher can tell you.

The stock barrel has not been notorious known to be the best. They are similar to stock tippmann barrels... which honestly, stink...

EDIT**** J&J all the way baby! Great barrel, 14 inches all you need. Great Price! Got one on my gun, and its dam accurate.

yod3r
03-14-2007, 10:50 PM
not meaning to hyjack this thread or anything but how exactly do you mount an apex to a j&j barrel

ViperX
03-15-2007, 09:09 AM
The apex tip comes directly off of the apex barrel which gives you the option to put it on a similar style barrel that has a straight tip on it. You can get creative and use electric tape or you can make your own shim to get a snug fit on whatever barrel you decide to move it to. There is also a company that makes an adapter for it so you can mount it on a different barrel.

Personally and this only my opinion, but since it really doesn't matter having a better barrel if you use the apex full-time when you play, I say this because a better barrel you're usually trying to get a more stable ball path out of the barrel for accuracy, but once the ball hits the rubber ramp of the apex tip, it isn't going to matter how stable the ball was is inide the barrel.

However, the nice thing about the apex tip, unlike the flatline, you can turn it on or off, that's the only advantage if you are going to mount the tip to a new barrel and plan on using the apex at different times and want the option of playing without the apex features but still have it on the ready. Then mounting it to a better barrel will be benefitial. But if your a player that plays exclusively with the apex on all the time, there really is no benefit to buying a better barrel and mounting the tip to it. The tip will defeat the purpose of the better barrel.

Brandon_MR2
03-25-2007, 08:47 AM
ok, if you want to get a 20" get it. No-matter what people say. i have the 16 j&j ceramic and the 20" j&j ceramic. there is a diff in the two. we tried them both, on the same day, with compressed air, on my gun. The 20" gives more distance and the better accuracy at long distances. At 30' you wont notice anything. It's the long sniper (what your wanting i believe) shots that it helps with.

If your using Co2 i wouldn't waste the money.

And what the guy said before was right. you wont be doing backflips. then again if your looking for a sniper im guessing your planning on sniping. Not running around trynto dodge paint.

If you decide to get the 20" i hope your happy.

Inquisitor
03-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you, What I am going to do is buy a 16" barrel "trinity accurate barrel" and go from there. 20" might be too big and yes right now i am using Co2

Taillo
03-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a 14" trinity barrel and it is worth more than what i paid for. (30$ Can), im pretty sure you will love the 16".

Im still keeping it as a cqb barrel, but its because i am building a scenario sniper gun out of a spyder classic and i will go for this barrel: http://rap4.com/paintball/os/spyder-sniper-barrel-p-2760.html

Anyone knows something about it?

Inquisitor
03-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't know anything about the RAP4 sniper barrel but where did you buy your trinity barrel?

Taillo
03-26-2007, 12:30 AM
At Big Foot paintball, a local field.

Ace24
03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Not to burst any bubbles here... but there is no such thing as a paintball "Sniper." Sniping is the act of shooting someone or something at long range. Which is not possible, no matter how much you wish it was, in paintball.

A paintball sniper is someone who lies in the bushes with a guile suit on, waiting for someone to pass by, or come in his sights, then waits for the opportune moment to fire so that the one shot he takes, takes the guy out, and his team mates around him do not know where the shot came from. Causing a panic in the squad and disrupting any strategy they had.

To do this, you do not need a 20" barrel... (which might I add, does nothing but waste air... which is crucial in a scenario/woodsball game)

I would recommend the J&J Ceramic 14". It is what I have on my MR1 and it has served me well on my other Spyder as well. The Ceramic coating makes it so that if you break a ball, chopping or barrel break, you can just shoot through it and clean it out with that first paintball. Nothing sticks to the inside.

If your looking to make a Sniper MR2, get a 14", a red dot sight with a raised rail, and a remote... thats pretty much all you need.

ViperX
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Thank you Ace, nice to see someone out there that "gets it"

People stop buying into the overplayed longer is better marketing ploy.

One of you mentioned in this thread that the longer barrel gave you longer distance? That just isn't true, only way it can be true is if the ID on the barrels were different causing a different performance of the ball in the barrel, in that case your velocity was not the same as when you used the previous barrel. CHANGING BARREL LENGTHS MEANS YOU ALSO HAVE TO ADJUST FOR VELOCITY!!!

It's simple people, any ball traveling the same FPS(feet per second) when exiting any barrel is going to go the same distance with only one exception, putting a back spin on the ball like the apex and flatline systems do.

The only advantage you will get with a longer barrel is a bit more accuracy and that will be at the sacrifice of using a larger volume of air to push the ball out the barrel to reach the desired FPS when it does. That accuracy will be better spent $$ wise getting a good paint to bore match using a barrel system for your marker. Which allows you to be more flexible when playing another field that may only allow for field paint, what will you do then?

Plus some of you who dream about those one-shot, one-kill will not keep your position secret with those long sniper barrels which all have limited or no porting whatsoever(to compensate for the increase in velocity needed to maintain a decent FPS) they will be LOUD!! Louder than your average 14" ported barrel. And if your in this thread and most likely an MR2 owner you already know this is a problem with this marker being loud by nature as it is.

And why would you want to make an MR2 a sniper when it was made for higher rates of fire?? It's like buying a SAW and turing it into a pistol, it doesn't make sense. Sell your MR2 and buy an MR1 or get a pump if your that head over heels about a sniper. Then you can put a 30" barrel and use up half a 20oz CO2 cylinder to push a single ball out.

Otherwise you are just wasting your money! Now take an old dude's(me) advice who's been there and done that and found out the hard way.

Picchi
03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I have found a use for a 20" barrel believe it or not and it's not for sniping really, but it works well when you are sticking it through a ton of brush that your short barrel won't get through. I only used it for one day and it was effective in the brush. Movement wise though, it's like carrying an 8ft pole through your house, but if you play in a real open area it might not matter.

Picchi
03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=ViperX]
And why would you want to make an MR2 a sniper when it was made for higher rates of fire?? It's like buying a SAW and turing it into a pistol, it doesn't make sense. /QUOTE]

By the way ViperX....lol on the analogy.:D

Inquisitor
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I was just looking for an accurate barrel and I will either get an J&J, APEX, or a Trinity barrel.

Jarhead
03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I was just looking for an accurate barrel and I will either get an J&J, APEX, or a Trinity barrel.

Buy a J&J and attach a Apex on it. It works like a dream on mine. I get the qualities of the J&J and the accuracy and distance the Apex adds.

Ace24
03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Trinity Barrels are not that good. Your best bets are the J&J or APEX... or if you wish to go another route... a barrel kit. Empire, Smart Parts, and J&J make good ones from my experience.

Viper, you hit the nail on the head with that post haha.

To what Picchi said,
Yes it does make it easier to shoot through brush... as does it make a nice bunker push-a-sider when trying to play tight in speedball... But is that extra length really worth the consumption of air it takes to pass the ball through the barrel just so you can push things, or poke through things?

Glasher
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Ace and Viper are totally right, only way of getting more distance his apex/flatline but you lose accuracy, my friend got a 20" barrel for his BT Assault that he wanted to convert into a sniper and as if BT marker wasn't energy eating enough the barrel just made it WAY wrost. I suggest to use the apex if you wanna go "sniper" style and shoot at a bigger distance. But ya it mostly consist of behign silent and do 1 shot kills wich his why a guillie suit and a silent marker is best suit for "paintball snipers"

Inquisitor
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
thanks, I think I will prob buy an Apex it look really cool and I have a guillie suit my uncle made and it is pretty good. It hightened my chances of a bounce off, when I played with it the first time my first couple of hits were a bounce off.