PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Terminology - A wifes disliking

STRIKEFIRST
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Well I turned on my Greg hastings max'd the other day and my wife hears my 5 year old daughter say..."Let's Mow Some Faces"...Obviously this new phrase came from me and not the video game...

My wife wasn't happy.

So hears my question to you...especially some other people with kids...

What Paintball terms do you consider "offensive" and is "mow faces" one of them?

Sandman_Bravo
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
It's not "offensive", but I don't think my wife would want to hear it coming from any of our kids either. I think if you were in the company of some of your buds and your daughter said it, it would be laughed off. (Just remember to explain that nice little girls don't say that) In front of the wife and... well you got the response I would have. I guess it's mature-agressive type phrases and that's what a wife finds offensive.

TheRedBarron
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
That sucks, last time I was with my wife she mentioned somthing about killing fools, she also once said lets rape some noobs, and regularly says mow faces. My daughter Makyla who is now talking repeats everything that we say, I dont see a problem with it outside of the rape comment.

vikingshadow
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, I'm very outspoken on how the sport should be perceived by those not actually playing it, so I find any reference to gangster'isms and paintball inappropriate - not offensive, but totally unnecessary.

Contract killers (I don't care if Hybrid has it or not), straight killers, mowin' *****es, shooting someone in the face, etc. IMHO are all unnecessary and actually do more harm in the eyes of the public than good. Face it, we're the new sport on the block, and as such, we have a lot to prove to the world if we want to be taken seriously. How do you expect to be taken seriously if you act like that? That being said, you can't go all thug and be respected.

Most people at my field know that when my kids are out there, they better watch themselves. Of couse, most kids cool down when I'm out there anyways due to my position in the school and they don't feel appropriate. However, there's this one kid who's taken to calling me "Bryce" and it's rubbing me wrong right now (he's an 8th grader...)

Oscum Guy
03-12-2007, 03:10 PM
bryce? thats just random and stupid?

she also once said lets rape some noobs
wow.

calebh
03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
im with vike on this one. mow faces? rape noobs? kill fools? ya, you're cool...

marvin-martian
03-12-2007, 03:30 PM
this is making me miss sac :(

Theheroguy
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
sac? I can see the other ones but not mow faces

Backmanshooter
03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
She probably took it literally.

Taking a lawnmower to someones face.

marvin-martian
03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
sac was a member here who is/was really agg.

anyway, some of the phrases are fun to say, but when you actually think about it youll see how dumb it is.

vikingshadow
03-13-2007, 03:45 AM
bryce? thats just random and stupid?

Hahaha, that's my first name!

I tell all the 5th graders when they come through that they aren't allowed to call me by my first name until the get to 9th grade (the middle school here is 5th - 8th) as a sign of respect. He hasn't done it at school yet, but I'll definitely make a point of letting him know about it if he does. Shoot, even my best friends kids don't call me Bryce, even the ones in high school!

Back to the topic at hand, I understand that each generation has it's particular venacular, and I respect that. However, when it comes to paintball, I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. I just think you can say "I shot you" just as easily, and nicer, than you can say "I raped you, *****!"

bamf-hacker
03-13-2007, 05:24 AM
My son says lots of fun things, but my wife thinks is it funny :)

Well it is kind of funny.

DisIsMyUsername
03-13-2007, 08:02 AM
buahahaha lets rape some noobs.. i love IT :rolleyes:

STRIKEFIRST
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
im with vike on this one. mow faces? rape noobs? kill fools? ya, you're cool...

Mow faces is the only expression I use that may be considered offensive.

I would never you use ANY of the others you mentioned...for god sake I've got a 5 year old that watches me play!

And who wants to be "gangsta" on the field...Those guys get bonus balls.

TheRedBarron
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Now I would like to set myself straight here, my wife and I are very professional on the feild. when pep talking our team is when things get vulgar or ignorant, it hypes up the team, when on the feild there is no form of trashtalking or anything of the sort.

clickclicksplat
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Now I would like to set myself straight here, my wife and I are very professional on the feild. when pep talking our team is when things get vulgar or ignorant, it hypes up the team, when on the feild there is no form of trashtalking or anything of the sort.

Yeah, I found it rather amusing how many f-bombs are dropped in pre-game pep talks of the pro vids I've seen.

Theheroguy
03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Hahaha, that's my first name!
I just think you can say "I shot you" just as easily, and nicer, than you can say "I raped you, *****!"
hahahahaha :lol:

Yeah, I found it rather amusing how many f-bombs are dropped in pre-game pep talks of the pro vids I've seen.
ever seen dynasty

DriverJ
03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I've always thought the mow faces phrase was stupid... but the contract killer hybrid grips, back plates etc... don't bother me its when the kids on the field try and act gangsta. I don't mind some trash talk on the field, but its best to keep it under control for the image of the sport.

just my .02

nbishop66
03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I must be old to. When I'm out there and someone takes me out with an exceptional shot, I'll actually tell them it was a great shot, good job! It must just be that us old guys are from a generation where respect was taught to us by our parents. I'm trying to instill that in my 14 year old as well, he doesn't talk crap, or swear when we play. Granted one day he was really ticked off after getting bonus balled at our local field and started to get out of hand with his language and I made him sit out a game.

TheRedBarron
03-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I learned respect, I was not taught it, I respect other ballers on the feild when playing, albeit, if I do not get respect I do not give respect. It may be the city boy in me, but if someone is acting like an asshat on the feild to me or my team, I am going to do it back, only classier and with humor. If you just sit back and take it you are not bettering the sport, you are showing those kids that they can do it without any retaliation, so they will do it more often. The same goes for wiping, and playing on. IMHO. Maybe it is a mix of the tourny baller and the city boy in me I dont know but that is the way I see it, I also fire my team up and what seems to do it the best is similiar to that of Dynastys pregame speaches.

STRIKEFIRST
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I learned respect, I was not taught it, I respect other ballers on the feild when playing, albeit, if I do not get respect I do not give respect. It may be the city boy in me, but if someone is acting like an asshat on the feild to me or my team, I am going to do it back, only classier and with humor. If you just sit back and take it you are not bettering the sport, you are showing those kids that they can do it without any retaliation, so they will do it more often. The same goes for wiping, and playing on. IMHO. Maybe it is a mix of the tourny baller and the city boy in me I dont know but that is the way I see it, I also fire my team up and what seems to do it the best is similiar to that of Dynastys pregame speaches.

The country boy in me was taught about respect even if it meant a boot in my butt (which happened on several occassions from my grandfather!) I was also taught that you don't have to respect those who don't respect you. Cheating of any kind doesn't cut it, and asshattedness (new word!) better not be allowed to be let go.

My grandad has a family rule IF someone ELSE starts it, YOU finish it...of course that comes in verying degrees and requires the use of common sense and doesn't mean you go around portraying the role of "barney bad butt" (that would earn you another boot in the butt).

I hate cheaters...if you're out...you're out...be a man and for god sakes don't be a tit baby!:D

druid
03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Barron and I share a common ideal. "You get what you give" when it comes to respect. That goes for the paintball field, as my neighbor or as an inmate at the prison. I can be a person's best friend, or their worst nightmare...it depends on THEM. Now, having said that:

My language is some of the most foul of sewage there is....and that's only if Jess (daughter) didn't do the dishes...

I don't know strikefirst at all, nor do I know his mannerisms - but I'd think it's just a case where "strikefirst's" wife is being hypersensitive to certain words or phrases...especially around the child. NOT that it's a bad thing, young children shouldn't have to hear that kind of stuff...

At the same time...wait until the child gets to school and starts learning new and colorful words from the other kids...:D...that's going to give her an aneurysm :D :D

STRIKEFIRST
03-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Barron and I share a common ideal. "You get what you give" when it comes to respect. That goes for the paintball field, as my neighbor or as an inmate at the prison. I can be a person's best friend, or their worst nightmare...it depends on THEM. Now, having said that:

My language is some of the most foul of sewage there is....and that's only if Jess (daughter) didn't do the dishes...

I don't know strikefirst at all, nor do I know his mannerisms - but I'd think it's just a case where "strikefirst's" wife is being hypersensitive to certain words or phrases...especially around the child. NOT that it's a bad thing, young children shouldn't have to hear that kind of stuff...

At the same time...wait until the child gets to school and starts learning new and colorful words from the other kids...:D...that's going to give her an aneurysm :D :D

She goes this fall...My wife will stroke out...Though when I'm mad I can make a sailor blush.