PDA

View Full Version : MR1 customized stock options

Jack The Knife
03-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Hello!
I'm new to these fora and new to paintball.
After many hours spent reading about the net to find the marker that will suit me best, I ordered a MR1 and I'm very excited about getting it.

I have read about the design flaws the MR1 carries; the stock getting in the way of the goggles in particular, and that many have cut off the 'top rail' in order to use the sights.

Of all the photos I saw of the modified stocks, almost everyone had the 'top rail' completely removed. Some said it would not break while others said they broke it easily.

Is it possible to just bend the top rail down and glue it onto the 'bottom rail' to make a it a bit tougher, instead of completely removing it.

My question is: does the rail bend without cracking if heated?
Will the suggestions on the photos below work, or will the rail just break into pieces?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

The Knife

(I know the photoshopping is crude)

Crimson.Soldier
03-13-2007, 08:52 AM
I was going to attempt that, but I felt that heating the stock would weaken it more than just cutting it off. My stock has been fine, and if you wanted to strengthen the stock I was thinking that you could take the top rail and remove it and then bolt it or mount it between the bottom rail and the top of the back part of the stock.

Syder Sniper
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I cut the top rail off the stock of my gun and it does not weaken the rail. it now gives me more room to look around and does not get in the way:D

Ace24
03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I cut the top of mine and it snapped in my face when I poked out from behind a bunker... I had a nice gouge in my cheek from that peice of ****. Oh well. Proteam FX stock here I come.

Hob Hayward
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
It was only a POS because you made it one :p.

Given the option between a new stock and trying to mod the stock first, I'd see if the mod to the stock one worked, and if not, oh well, a new stock was in order anyways.

Though, M4 stocks won't help you out for seeing directly over the top of the gun, they come straight out the top, just like the stock one.

Ace24
03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
It's not my fault that they made it out of a cheap composit recycled plastic so that when I cut the top rail, it destroyed the structure of the stock.

Though, M4 stocks won't help you out for seeing directly over the top of the gun, they come straight out the top, just like the stock one.
They go down further then the stock one does... and usually when you get one of those stocks, you have a red dot sight or "scope" up top, elevated. It usually doesnt matter.

Jack The Knife
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I finally got my MR1 on wednesday. I was as excited as a kid on christmas eve who had just gotten a MR1... ...

When I look at the stock I know I dont want to cut it. For one it will surely become more brittle, as Ace so painfully experienced.
And it would not be comfortable to aim because I would have to keep my head below shoulder level which would be awkward. Plus I would not be able to rest my cheek against the stock as one usually does while aiming a rifle.

I have therefore decided to fix this in another way.
I have made a prototype of the modification to prove the concept which will lower the stock enough to aim the marker with the mask on. Photos included.

Keep in mind that this is just a crude prototype, but it will give you an idea of how I intend it to look like and work.

I will make two types out of different materials. One out of reinforced birch, and the other out of fiberglass to see which one is easiest to make.

If anyone is interested I can take photos of the process in case anyone want to make one for themselves.

(Sorry for any typos as this is the second bloody time I write this due accidental deletion of my original post upon completion.)

alam3503
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
that looks pretty good....keep with it

rubber_band_man
03-18-2007, 09:21 AM
where could i get a good replacement stock?

Sandman_Bravo
03-18-2007, 10:42 AM
JCS:

http://www.bp-usa.com/CloseOut.htm

Good luck.

bmxroadie
03-18-2007, 11:00 AM
how do you intend on using the velocity adjustment?

Jack The Knife
03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Since the modification completely covers the rear end of the marker, I will need to take it off to adjust the velocity.

But taking off the mod differs nothing from taking off the stock where it sits originally. Just the same one screw which hold the stock in place, plus one more option.
Neither the marker nor the stock are changed in any way.

Progress is coming along nicely and I think I can post some photos of it some time next week. Maybe tomorrow night if I don't have to work late.

DRAGON
03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Your mod is a good idea Jack. Wouldn't bother with a finished product of wood. It's just not going to last. I'd use either delrin or a metal like aluminum. Attach the stock with a recessed screw/bolt reinforced with some sort of epoxy or strong glue. Once you set the velocity screw, you normally don't need to mess with it afterwards -

Jack The Knife
03-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I prefer aluminium as well, but I could not get hold of a big enough piece, and I didn't want to spend more time looking for one either.

I know it has to endure severe stress, but I am positive the wooden one will hold. It is not just cut out of one piece of wood like the prototype is. It is made out of reinforced laminated birch. While birch by itself is pretty tough wood, once you laminate it, it gets very strong.

In case it should break, I have at least learned something from it. I will in any case make the fiberglass one as well. Should not take too long since it will be the second time and most of the trial and error is done.

rubber_band_man
03-18-2007, 01:02 PM
how much did it cost u to make that?

Jack The Knife
03-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't know yet. Not much, though.
You don't need a lot of materials to make something this small. I'm fairly certain you could get most of it for free if you ask around, since all you really need are scraps.
That is what I did for the most part.

rubber_band_man
03-19-2007, 06:01 AM
it looks good
i would be mega interested in buying a solid metal one

alam3503
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
now i am pissed...i just bought a stock online for 70 and bp lowered their price.....I might just have to buy one from them also....but the 70 looks great

Ace24
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Nice job! I cant wait to see a finished product.

Jack The Knife
03-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm almost done now.
I just need to do some cosmetic adjustments to make it look more like a part of the gun, and apply the reinforcements.

I am really pleased with how this turned out. It is very comfortable to aim this way and it feels sturdy even now.
I can't imagine why Kingman didn't make the stock this way in the first place.

I do not know where to start describing it, so I think I'll just let the photos do the talking for now. (Sorry for the bad quality. 39kb limit.)

If you have any questions, fire away!

1/2

Jack The Knife
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
2/2

graphics360
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
man, you should sell that design to a company and get a % of each sale.... i bet youd make some fast cash

Jack The Knife
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Hehe. Thank you.

I doubt I would be able to do that.
Don't know how to. Interesting thought, though.

Crazy Cracka
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
My solution is to not use it at all. Simple and makes your gun look like a MAC-10.

rubber_band_man
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
hey jack can u send me plans with demensions and everyhting?

graphics360
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
^hes gonna steal your design and sell it off!!!:busted: :busted: :busted:

rubber_band_man
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
no i would really like to make one myself... possibly even a metal one

Jack The Knife
03-24-2007, 02:38 AM
I finally finished my modification on wednesday. Sorry for the delay.
I was out sleeping in a snow cave with my students from thursday to friday, and the glue had to set anyway so...
Took a bloody long time to make it, though. But I like working with these kind of things so I use it as a means of recreation.
Better than sleep!
If I only had the patience to put this kind of time into studying...

Anyway. Here it is. Only needs a coat of paint, which it will get by the end of this weekend.

(Again, sorry for the bad quality. 39kb limit)

Added: The attachment is reinforced with an aluminium shell fastened by aluminium rivets and a strong epoxy resin.

Ladykiller
03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Are there any stocks compadable that don't need modifications?

alam3503
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
rap4 has some but they are loose from what i hear
trinity paintball has one that is ok....little loose also
and Bp-USA has a few for the MR1

rouge1
03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok.
Hereís a base I made for the Stock. I uses the back screw of the grip base and the quick disconnect pin for support. Itís quite sturdy tanks to the dual support.

lilc
04-01-2007, 07:26 AM
...M4 stocks won't help you out for seeing directly over the top of the gun, they come straight out the top, just like the stock one.
Actually, there are M4-type collapsible car-stocks out there (like this Hittmann) that install in the striker channel and give you a small but appreciable amount of extra room (especially right behind the receiver) as compared to the original fixed MR1 stock.

http://www.pbase.com/image/75238704.jpg