PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy

vikingshadow
03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok, this isn't paintball related, but I don't think we have a miscellaneous section (or at least I didn't look very hard for it!)

I'm looking for a convertible Karmann Ghia, in any color, in any shape so long as it's not totally rusted. For those who don't know, it's a small car that was around from about 1956 - 1974 that was sort of a cross between the Volkswagon company, the Karmann Carriage company, and I think Porsche had his hands in there somehow.

Anyway, I've decided to expand my repertoire of hobbies and skills to restoring one of these beauts and then tooling around town in it. Be the cool teacher with the weird convertible and the wind blowing through is thinning and quite sparse hair. They are very rare, and tend to be very expensive when restored properly. I've seen some go for as high as 40,000.00 and not even be completely restored!

I'd like it to be as close to Oklahoma as possible, but if I have to take a road trip, so be it! I don't expect anyone here to have one, but if you HEAR of one that's for sale, let me know! :D

Muddytaco
03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
i acutally think i know where one is at, let me double check.

EDIT:

Found it, I saw it after posting my dirtbike yesterday. It would be about a 7 hour drive to houston from OKC.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/285140005.html

edit2:
found one in tulsa:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/280418610.html

MVS1
03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I'll check and see if my uncle still has his. Bought it for his daughter but she like the Acura more (chicks:rolleyes: ). Anyways I'll let ya know, by the way the weather here in So Cal is beautiful so it would be a nice top-down ride until you hit NM at least :D.

old_dog
03-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Check out ebay.
There are quite a few fully restored 65 - 70 Ghia's (buy it now) for less than $10,000.00

OD

vikingshadow
03-12-2007, 03:48 AM
found one in tulsa:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/280418610.html

Yeah, I saw this one and it's pretty cool. Check out these pictures of it that I found....http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=392637

Seems most of the ones I've found are actually in California, so maybe I could talk my wife into taking a "vacation" there....;)

I have looked at those on ebay, but I just feel a bit like they aren't completely on the up and up...don't know why, but yeah.

Thanks guys! Keep em coming!

bamf-hacker
03-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Linky here (http://www.carmodel.net/zoomPage.php?MjI1OTY8Oj4wPDo+YWRkVG9DYXJ0KCdSMGhKU VR3N1BrMVNReTB0WVd4c0xUQXRNekF0TVMwdycsJycsICcnLCA nJywnJywgJ2FkZC0xLTIyNTk2JywgJzAnKQ==)

You can get that one and the wife wont kill you :)

vikingshadow
03-12-2007, 08:11 AM
hahaha! Yeah, she'd like that one. Right now, she's just rolling her eyes at me when I talk about it....but that's gonna change, I'm sure!

MVS1
03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
If you don't mind me asking , Why a Ghia? I understand that they look pretty cool and are definitely unique, but they had quite a few flaws. Overheating due to air-cooled engine, electrical issues, not the most robust/reliable transmission and finding parts for them can get pretty pricey. If it's that you just always wanted one, that's cool. I learned my lesson the hard way with my first High Performance jet-boat, I always wanted one and didn't want to listen to folks tell me all the pit-falls. Happy Hunting.

old_dog
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I have to say that ebay was great for me.

My wife had always wanted a Mercedes 380SL (1985 to be exact). I found several on ebay with lots of pics. She chose a "buy it now" for $5900. Then I had to pay for trucking it to TN. from SoCal. In the end it cost me $6400. Which I think is an excellent price. The car is flawless.

If you use your smarts on ebay you shouldn't have any problems finding the exact Ghia you want.

good luck on your hunt

OD

vikingshadow
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
If you don't mind me asking , Why a Ghia? I understand that they look pretty cool and are definitely unique, but they had quite a few flaws. Overheating due to air-cooled engine, electrical issues, not the most robust/reliable transmission and finding parts for them can get pretty pricey. If it's that you just always wanted one, that's cool. I learned my lesson the hard way with my first High Performance jet-boat, I always wanted one and didn't want to listen to folks tell me all the pit-falls. Happy Hunting.

Well, it's a rather long story, but don't worry! I won't elaborate!

I was working for a local company several years ago and had to deliver some things to a house. We opened the garage and there sat the nastiest, dirtiest, funniest looking car I've ever seen. It was in a very sad way, but the owner came out and was talking about it to us. The more he talked, the more interested I became in it. Over the years, I thought about how much fun it would be to restore one.

I thought it'd be a cool car just to mess around with, not as a main car, but just a fun car. So, recently I've been researching on the internet and it seems that this is quite a big deal - complete with car shows and such.

Now, I've always wanted an old Willey's Jeep, but the Karmann Ghia is just striking my fancy right now. I figure to restore one, then if I don't like it or whatever, I can sell it and start on another car.

I have to say that ebay was great for me.

My wife had always wanted a Mercedes 380SL (1985 to be exact). I found several on ebay with lots of pics. She chose a "buy it now" for $5900. Then I had to pay for trucking it to TN. from SoCal. In the end it cost me $6400. Which I think is an excellent price. The car is flawless.

If you use your smarts on ebay you shouldn't have any problems finding the exact Ghia you want.

good luck on your hunt

OD

Yeah, I suppose ebay could be good - my previous statement was inappropriate. I'll keep an eye out there and see what happens.

Critical
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
If you find one you're interested in, check out www.vwvortex.com, it's a website that is huge into VW's and would be able to answer any questions you might have about particular things to look for/watch out for.