PDA

View Full Version : Zip Kit

old_dog
03-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I can't seem to get the search engine working correctly, so I'll just ask.

What is a Zip Kit?

OD

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
T-1 Kit, The one kit.

What it does is it transforms your spyder into a FASOR type gun (Forward Air Spring Operated Return or something along those lines). Its like a timmy, but rather than having air move the bolt/ram back and forth, the air only pushes the bolt/ram forwards, while a spring pushes them back. The wrath, Dangerous Power Fusion, The One Dragun and a few others all operate in this way.

Might want to talk to ace about it, he spent quite a while working on his T-1'd Fenix.

old_dog
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
thankyou.
So if I understand correctly, the kit changes the function from blow back to spring back.

What does this do? Does it make the marker reload/recock faster?

OD

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, with the ZIP kit, your gun becomes electro pneumatic. It'll run at around 200 psi, so its quiet, its also consistent. But in reality, its probably not much better than a well tuned LP Spyder, then again, neither is an Ion.

Compared to a normal spyder, it'll be accurate, consistent, quiet and potentially have less issues dealing with recocking problems. However, it needs to be used with HPA.

Edit:
http://deadlywind.com/tech/marker_animations/timmy_animation.gif

Imagine that, but instead of air pushing the ram back, theres a spring.

bellez77
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Would a FASOR cycle faster than a full EP gun?

08Lud08
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
It can probably cycle at 25 with upgrades. Mine can do 20 stock.
But in reality, its probably not much better than a well tuned LP Spyder, then again, neither is an Ion.
I would disagree, it is a lot better than a well tuned lp spyder and its alot cheaper.

old_dog
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
umm ??
Would the boys notice any difference in performance?
I have already otterized all of my sons markers and we are already on HPA good info thanx
OD

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
No. Sadly, the spring keeps the gun from cycling as fast as just air. You need a qev to cycle above 15 cps with a FASOR and max CPS is definitely lower than that of a timmy, though there aren't any real other differences.

08Lud08, my imagine has no kick and can cycle as fast as any other gun out there. Its also dead on accurate, so pray tell, how is a FASOR way better?

08Lud08
03-01-2007, 01:36 PM
My gun doesn't have a qev and shoots 20bps stock. I put my gun on auto 20 and it shoots 20 auto with my eyes off and paint but my gun is an odyssey o2 so it has a different noid than a t-1. It has the same noid as a wrath. The problem Ive heard with t-1s are they have bad noids so that may be the cycling problem.

If your spyder has almost nothing stock and all good quality parts then I would just stick to that. if your planning on going lp and you want to have a good quality lp gun like hob's its gonna cost alot unless you already have the parts.

hob Im saying its better becasue of price.
05 Imagine - $65
Palmer stabilizer - $100
Maddman Rocket valve - $40
Trinity Front block - $30
IPS Sunbear Bolt - $49.99
Dark Horizon titanium striker - $39.95
WorrGas 50/3000 + redz cover - $60

Thats about $324 without the tank. A fasor cost about $150 and has almost the same quality plus you'll never have recocking problems.

old_dog
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
ok I understand how the Zip kit works
I think I'll save some money and not go this route.

I'm very pleased with the way our markers are working. I guess we have to find something else to do with the spare parts.

Hob .. thanx for the diagram, as they say "a pic is worth a thousand words"

Otter .. (if your around) I've read your pages but my son has memorized them. KUDO's

OD

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
You're quite correct, but I didn't pay all that for the gun, I got alot of parts used.

In any case, LP'ing a spyder is not a worthwhile investment, but it is enjoyable to some (like me).

I payed:
05 Imagine - $110
Palmer stabilizer - $85
Maddman Rocket valve - $25
Trinity Front block - $35
IPS Sunbear Bolt - $30
Dark Horizon titanium striker - $20

Though that is $305, lol. Well in any case, I love my imagine.

Have you actually confirmed that you go 20bps out of your odyssey? Just because they advertise 20bps, doesn't mean you get it. Also it could already have a QEV installed, maybe integrated into the noid itself?

Nenkitsune
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
i get 20bps with my em1, stock, at 290fps. i tested it at the field's chrono. i unloaded a full q-loader out of it (100 rounds, i counted them ^^) and it did 20bps, very easily, without chops. (full auto btw)

08Lud08
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Have you actually confirmed that you go 20bps out of your odyssey? Just because they advertise 20bps, doesn't mean you get it. Also it could already have a QEV installed, maybe integrated into the noid itself?
on the lcd you can choose the cap on semi and auto from 6-20, when I shot it over the chronograph the bps showed around 20 but thats not that accurate and I shot it compared to my friends ion that he had on 15 bps psp and mine shoots faster than that so I can say it shoots 20. do I use it all the time? no I use semi or auto at 15, why waste soo much paint. Its stock so it could have a good venting noid because It doesn't have a qev. For me it was a good upgrade to buy my gun, first off it is $150 brand new, already lp, and has eyes, everything I wanted. When I went lp with my old spyder it was loud and still unaccurate. But If I wanted to buy another spyder I would buy a vs2 because Its already lp stock and has eyes.

samus129
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
will this kit give you more shots per tank and will work in a vs2

Oscum Guy
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
it will not work in a vs without really serious mods.

samus129
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
k thax

Ace24
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
i get 20bps with my em1, stock, at 290fps. i tested it at the field's chrono. i unloaded a full q-loader out of it (100 rounds, i counted them ^^) and it did 20bps, very easily, without chops. (full auto btw)
I've heard those red chronos lie for the BPS.

:)

I was sort of unhappy with my Zip kit when I purchased it. I got more out of the T-1 kit then I did the Zip kit. The actual Dragun One parts will serve you better then the Zip Kit (remakes).

Although, I do have to say. I like the spring for the ram from the Zip kit better. It is slightly lighter, and less tense then the one from the T-1 kit. I have a delrin ram, so I dont need the heavier spring.

With patience, time, and fine tuning... it will come out nicely. I love my T-1. But I'm still saving up for a '06 - '07 Cyborg. (The T-1 is sort of fragile... and has alot of exposed hoses, and the QEV is exterior... leaving it vounerable to be damaged... so I want a gun I can go nuts with and not worry about breaking so much.)

You can look in my profile and click on my T-1 link for a view of mine.

EDIT: I forgot to leave the specs of my gun... just to give you a glimpse of what it can do... if you deside to go that path.

Dragun Ultra T-board
Break Beam eyes
Delrin T-1 Ram
Zip Kit Spring
CP On/ Off ASA w/ Rail
CP Shorty Reg
Modified stock bolt
Virtue QEV
Magnet Trigger Mod
Empire Barrel kit 14"
Trinity Clamping feedneck
Spyder Fenix '03 Body (custom painted)
Bob Long 0-300PSI guage

My gun shoots at 180PSI efficiently and consistantly at +/-4. I dont really know what the BPS is on it... since I don't really do that... I play with a 50 round hopper alot or my egg. (don't play alot anymore... once you start working at a paintball place, yo uno longer have time to play... :( )

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't be so afraid of the air lines on a T-1 nearly as much as I would be for an autococker... But still, no one has any real issues with AC airlines going. Not to mention an exposed ram, 3 way and LPR all sticking out of the front of the gun.

Ace24
03-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not worried about that... I'm worried about the line that goes into the QEV. I dont want to break the QEV off because if I do, I'm screwed. (It was custom fitted into the ramcap... it would take me forever to find another ramcap and mod it and so on)

Hob Hayward
03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd find a better way to mount the QEV then, why not mount it in the frame?

Ace24
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Because the hoses don't run through the frame... That would mean, I would have to mill hose slots in the frame, then mill a rectangle and an area for the....

There is no way to do it... it's not possible.