PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna do it.. getting rid of the vhs!

QAZ123
02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Well.. I'm tired of looking at them so it's time to toss all the vhs tapes I've had. Anybody have any good ones that are/were hard to part? A couple that I think I'm gonna keep till I find them cheap on dvd.

The Lost Boys (yeah it's not going anywhere)
All three Might Ducks
The best of Red Skelton (surely I can find something similiar dirt cheap on dvd)
Forrest Gump (eh.. it'll probably get tossed)
1992 Sports Illustrated swimsuit video (watch it first.. then toss it)

That's really it out of the 80+ tapes I'm looking over at the moment.

Anybody else have done the same thing?

JB.

VS3 Sniper
02-24-2007, 08:52 AM
yea I did that like three or four years ago.

Hoppy11
02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
My family actually still has all of our VHS tapes, that haven't been lost or what not. My dad still tapes sports with vhs.. we don't really watch any of the movies on vhs anymore though, lol.

QAZ123
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
I remember housesitting for a family a few years back. They told me where there movies were in a closet. I opened it up and this closet was nothing but vhs tapes. I'd almost say over 500 tapes total. That's gotta suck that they are worthless now lol. Sadly that's what will happen to dvd's shortly... maybe sooner than we think.

Sooner or later we will just have a memory box and be able to download any movie we want older or newer and save it.

JB.

xsgmike66x
02-24-2007, 10:24 AM
The only vhs movies that my family still has is all the original Disney ones and some other oddball ones that someone wanted to keep and home movies, there not worth didly squat thought :-\. We still use VHS for recording the security cameras. But for TV we use DVD recorders. Also we have the machine that changes the VHS to DVD so if we want an old VHS we have onto DVD we just transfer it. Got rid of all the VHS tapes years ago though.

DRAGON
02-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Well.. I'm tired of looking at them so it's time to toss all the vhs tapes I've had...........

Wish my local library would get that attitude. 50,000 VHS's and 200 DVD's. Heh, by the time they get 50,000 DVD's they'll be obsolete and replaced by the latest USB technology. 1 stick, 50,000 movies lol -

QAZ.....it's about time dood! - :o

QAZ123
02-24-2007, 08:45 PM
QAZ.....it's about time dood! - :o

Me throwing away The Lost Boys on vhs is like you throwing away a July 1991 issue of APG magazine.. Just not happening!

Ok.. almost the same... ok.. not really.:confused:

But if you ever decide to do that just send all the mag's my way K!

JB.

DRAGON
02-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I gave some to Jessica Sparks(editor of APG) last year at the Super7 Tampa. 1 from like '88 or so had a pic of her on the cover. She said it was a very rare copy. We became instant friends. Almost as though we knew each other for quite a while. I went through the same thing as you with my old 8 tracks(whoops, do you even remember those?) I gave a bunch of them to my cousin....reluctantly -

calebh
02-25-2007, 09:15 AM
lol one of my friends has a truck with an 8track player in it. he's still got a few he plays in it.

we still have all our VHS tapes. dont know what we're gonna do with em all tho. there will probly be a few we'll want to keep. forrest gump will be one i want to keep anyway. i love that movie.

vikingshadow
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
We have all our VHS tapes as well, though we never watch them anymore. Just can't bear to part with them!

Grease - the first VHS my wife and I bought (back when VHS players were still in the 200-300 dollar range!)
The Lost Boys
My entire Star Trek Series (yes, I'm a geek...)
Braveheart
Titanic (my youngest daughter absolutely LOVES this movie!)
Stargate
The Faculty
Indiana Jones Trilogy (probably older than some of the members here!)
Young Guns (the movies, not the paintball thing!)

Dozens more - just can't get rid of them. Who knows, maybe I might pop a couple in today and watch them for old times sake!

Oh, and Dragon - I remember 8 track players - my friends and I had the carry around portable kinds. My first album was a Queen album (Another One Bites the Dust was on it....don't remember the name of the album, though) and it was 8 track. Get this, my dad and mom actually STILL have a stereo system that has a record player, dual cassette deck, radio AND 8 track player from Pioneer. They got it when I was in 8th grade, I think, back in 1980. They sure built things to last, back then!