PDA

View Full Version : Home annodizing?

Hob Hayward
02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I ran across this ( http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml)this last night and I got to wondering if I could anno some stuff myself. I have a car battery charger so thats not an issue, and they make it seem like sulphuric acid isn't too hard to get. I was really really surprised at how easy they made it sound as compared to the stories I've heard about how difficult/impossible it is to do it yourself. (Obviously one would have to test it out on a piece of scrap before doing anything to the body or any other parts)

Has anyone else here tried doing their own ano before?

shunut
02-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Never done it myself but doesn't really sound to incredible difficult to do. I, however, won't be trying it any time soon. I'll leave my anodizing up to professionals so I don't hurt myself and so I get good results.

turbo chicken
02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
i did ... and i ended up spending more money than if I had sent it in to a professional ... and the results were mediocre at best ...

calebh
02-20-2007, 08:32 AM
nitric acid? that's some nasty stuff. i wouldnt let that out of a chemistry lab. sulfuric acid's not as bad. the possibility of making chlorine gas? definitely making hydrogen gas? unless you're a chemist, take it to a proffessional.

Insomnia
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
If you do annodize it, make it like the Aurora Autococker. Be careful though as I've heard the fumes it gives off can be hazrardous to your health. If you don't know what the Aurora Autococker is just Google it. I think it involves running between 20,000 and 40,000 volts through the body.

calebh
02-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Be careful though as I've heard the fumes it gives off can be hazrardous to your health.
you've heard? it only says it in the article... hydrogen's flammable, chlorine's poisonous, and you sure dont want to breathe the fumes of nitric or sulfuric acid. hence the
unless you're a chemist, take it to a proffessional

but, if he's willing to do it, an aurora spyder would be pretty dang cool

Hob Hayward
02-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I've fiddled with hydrogen and oxygen gases often enough before without any issue, and I'm not too worried about safety, I'm looking past that at the possibility of doing it at all.

08Lud08
02-20-2007, 06:56 PM
The first couple of tries its going to come out bad but once you get it set up and have mastered it, it may come out good.