PDA

View Full Version : Get to sleep covered in probes :)

bamf-hacker
02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, after years of my wife nagging me that I need to see a doctor about me stopping breathing at night, I went and now I get to have a sleep study done.

Tomorrow night I get to go to the hospital in my PJ's and they will cover me in probes and watch me sleep.

If all goes well, they will diagnose the sleep apnea quick and fit me for my breathing machine. If they cant then I will need to go back for a second visit.

Either way I am staying up late tonight so I will be good an tired for the study tomorrow. For some reason I think it will be hard to sleep covered in probes :(

Oh the fun......

Backmanshooter
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Sucks if you do your thing before you sleep..one night you cant do it...:dodgy:

That'd be ackward...People watching you sleep...

bomberpilot07
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
you stop breathing in your sleep? gl with the tests.

bamf-hacker
02-19-2007, 06:17 PM
yes I do... it is actually very common. A friend of mine had it done too, he thought maybe he stopped breathing 5 or 6 times a night (I think I am the same), but after his test they told him they recorded him 170 times in an 8 hour period. He told me that after he got his sleeping mask his life has changed. He is always refreshed and not sleepy during the day. If that is the case for me, I cant wait.

Backmanshooter
02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I dont know this guy, but I watch his movies on myspace. He has the same problem. He had something that went between his eye brows to help him stop. Not completely sure what exactly though.

leed
02-19-2007, 06:57 PM
That's weird, I've never heard of this before. Well, let's hope theres something they can do for you, I'd really be afraid of sleeping one night, and not waking up. Good luck old man! :p

bamf-hacker
02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

shunut
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I use to work for a company that specialized in sleep disorders. We performed these test all the time. I remember one guy stopped breathing for about 4 minutes. We were about to go in but he started breathing again. Sleep Apnea is basically when you stop breathing while you sleep. There are 2 different types of sleep apnea. The first and most common type is when extra tissue in your throat blocks your airway. The second is when your body "forgets" to tell you to breath, which is very rare. Some of the major signs of sleep apnea are: Snoring, Waking up gasping for air, Constantly feeling tired even after a full nights sleep, Falling asleep a stop lights, Morning headaches, and Memory loss. Sleep Apnea is a fairly common thing and can cause many problems. It can cause high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, memory loss, it contributes to diabetes and obesity. Basically with sleep apnea your body never reaches that deep sleep and your body isn't able to refresh itself like it is suppose to do. This stage, REM sleep, is responsible for so much. During REM sleep is where your brain organizes and files your memories for the day. It is also where your body really rejuvenates itself and you burn the most calories during sleep in REM sleep. The only proven long term treatment is a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine. Basically you put this "mask" on when you go to bed and it constantly blows air into you to keep the extra tissue from blocking your airways. The machine really does help those who give it a chance.

Dan, I wish you luck and you know if you have any questions I can answer them. Let us know how things go.

bamf-hacker
02-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Well I had the study done.

They covered my head and chest in probes and even put a few on my ankles to see if I was restless at night. If was a little weird, but I was able to sleep (or at least I thought I was :)).

This morning I filled out the post study questionnaire and I spent a little while talking to the tech. Get this..............

I was awake, (brain not sleeping the way it should) at least 20 times an hour. Let me say that again TWENTY times an hour. That is at least every 5 minutes. No wonder I am always sleepy. Now I need to go back to get fitted and set up with a sleep mask. I cant wait for the new BAMF!!!

Backmanshooter
02-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Damn...You are restless ay mate? :p

At least you're getting help. :waytogo:

shunut
02-21-2007, 05:24 AM
You will be amazed at the difference the mask makes. Give yourself time to get use to it and you'll be good.

Just so you know I've seen patients with 80+ events an hour. So you aren't horrible, but you definitely need the CPAP maching.

bamf-hacker
03-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Well I go back tonight for round 2. This time they will cover me in probes and fit me with a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure). Lets see how I feel tomorrow morning.

I am really excited to get this thing. It is nice to finally have a reason for me always being tired.

Who knows you might all see the NEW BAMF-HacKeR soon. Happy, smiling, NOT Cranky :), ah who are we kidding, I will still be cranky, just not tired and cranky.

Sandman_Bravo
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
How's it going? I'm curious for an update; I have a friend who has a sleep disorder. He had all the same tests done. He went to an herbalist who has helped a lot I guess. Good luck, sleep problems can be a big thing.

bamf-hacker
03-11-2007, 04:36 PM
UPDATE:

I had the mask fitting and pressure test on Friday night. I didn't have a hard time sleeping at the center with the mask on. It was a little weird but not bad. The bridge of my nose is a little sore, but they say that is normal in the beginning. The good news is after they got the pressure right, I slept without waking up. :)

Now I wait for the doctor to get the results and get me over to the DME vendor to get my CPAP machine and mask.

Backmanshooter
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
How long will you have to use it for?

stylinbeaver
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
My dad had one of those. He said it's really hard to sleep with at first, but once you get use to it it's a peice of cake. He doesn't use it any more becasue he almost quit snoring. It helped alot. Them lil machines are expensive though. My dad said they told him he woke up like 1 or 3 times a minute. Woke up real fast and really didn't notice. It totaled up to be alot of time though

Hob Hayward
03-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Thats so weird, I've never heard of such I thing... I wonder if I have it. I rarely wake up refreshed, and my short term memory is less than nothing on occasion.

bamf-hacker
03-12-2007, 04:34 AM
How long will you have to use it for?

forever. It is not a curable condition. You can have surgery to remove the tissue in the throat but i t will come back.

Thats so weird, I've never heard of such I thing... I wonder if I have it. I rarely wake up refreshed, and my short term memory is less than nothing on occasion.

Hob, talk to your doctor. He will send you for a sleep study and DO IT!!! The damage sleep apnea does to the body is serious.

shunut
03-12-2007, 06:36 AM
He is right, the damage it can cause if very, very extensive. Glad to see it wasn't to hard for you to sleep with it on. Can't wait until you start using it all the time.

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
:news:

I have had my mask and CPAP machine for 3 days now... I LOVE IT!!!

She is awesome, yes as you can guess I named her. Her name is Layla. I figure if I need to sleep with her for the rest of my life, that is the least I should do,right?

I am more awake than ever. On Monday, the first night I slept with her, my wife had to check me. She thought I was dead! I was not snoring and did not move a muscle all night long.

The only down side is it is not the most faltering thing to wear. I will get a pic and post it up.

shunut
03-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Awesome. I'm so glad that you are seeing results already, kind of gives you an incentive to keep wearing it, despite the awkwardness.

DFSniper
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
She is awesome, yes as you can guess I named her. Her name is Layla. I figure if I need to sleep with her for the rest of my life, that is the least I should do,right?

"Layla, *duhdunduh* you got me on my knees, Layla..."
ok, not the best lyrics in the world to fit the name, but a great song none the less. you should get her name airbrushed onto her somewhere, lol.

TheRedBarron
03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Pics or shens

STRIKEFIRST
03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
I keep putting this off...I wonder if I can take the test on a weekend.

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
at least by me, they do sleep studies 7 nights a week.

pics tonight Barron, you will be afraid!!!

:)

TheRedBarron
03-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Do you do the Darth Vader voice?

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
LOL yes I do, but not when the CPAP is on. You cant talk.

It is really funny, every time you open your mouth air rushes out :)

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
No Shens, here is your pic:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7453/pict5726dm0.jpg (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict5726dm0.jpg)

pb34
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow thats crazy, nice fishtank in the back btw:D

TheRedBarron
03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
No Shens, here is your pic:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7453/pict5726dm0.jpg (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict5726dm0.jpg)
heh, sweet, so im sure that thing turns the wife on eh? :p

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
instant birth control :)

I guess number 3 isn't going to happen!

vwjimmy
03-22-2007, 05:39 PM
WOW!!!
Straight from looking 18 to looking 80!!!!!
LOL

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Pulls out Ban stick and swings at VWJimmy :)

BrianT
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
it does look a little awkward. but as long as it's helping thats all ways good thing.

bamf-hacker
03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
nah the hardest part is when you exhale you are going against the air coming in. You get used to that pretty quick.

So far no issues, it also helps that I got the top of the line mask. That sexy thing cost $150 just for the mask :) it has a lot of really cool features. So far so good.

yod3r
03-22-2007, 06:16 PM
sweet, i thot those things were bigger tho

Muddytaco
03-22-2007, 07:06 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/pict5726dm0vader.jpg

lol i had to:p

vwjimmy
03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/pict5726dm0vader.jpg

lol i had to:p
rofl :D

shunut
03-22-2007, 09:21 PM
You are brave, I know I wouldn't have posted a picture of myself on a public forum with that thing on.

bamf-hacker
03-23-2007, 04:29 AM
I am AWAKE and Happy, so does it really matter :)

TACO I love it, please send me the original in e-mail.

vwjimmy
03-23-2007, 06:51 AM
YEEEAAAA FOR DAN!!!!
A good nights sleep is everything, isent it?!

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I dont care how much sleep you are getting, I would not wear that thing to bed. /thread

bamf-hacker
03-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Barron you are a ****.

I need that to breath and I don't care what you think.

/Open Thread

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Dude calm the **** down, you dont need to get all pissy just because I said I wouldnt wear somthing that looks as stupid as that.

Go ahead and close the thread, that isnt going to keep me out of it.

Backmanshooter
03-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Go bamf, go bamf its ya birfday its ya birfday :p

And Barron, you said "/thread" ;)

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Who are you to voice an opinion?

Backmanshooter
03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
I am an American...thats my civil right...am I wrong?

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Civil rights are waved when you sign up for my forums.

durrell
03-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Since when are these your forums? You better watch it..you know you're on thin ice as it is already..

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 08:27 AM
These forums are more mine then anyone elses, I spend more time on here then any of you, and I am the only one who isnt afraid to swing my ban stick I dont want to hear that bull**** out here too its bad enough in the penthouse, you noobie mods are pissing me off.

durrell
03-23-2007, 08:30 AM
We're not the ones getting complaints about being "too strict". Maybe you need to settle down and stop being so power hungry. ;)

shunut
03-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Dude, calm down, you really need to leave the hostility in the PH and not bring it to the public side of the board. What happens in the PH stays in the PH and there are better ways to solve your problems than try to get all of us in trouble too.

TheRedBarron
03-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I knew that this was going to happen when Otter chose a bunch of noobs to mod, he should have chosen people who are actually old enough to handle the job, you guys are just running around with your green names not doing anything with them, I am tired of fighting this in the PH, the boards need to know that you guys are the reason that it has been so slow here lately, you dont know how to run forums. **** this ****, I am so ****ing tired of this.

durrell
03-23-2007, 08:54 AM
DO NOT RELEASE BANNED NAMES AGAIN
Do we need to go through training again?

Having a breakdown, Matt?

Where's Otter? This is really getting out of hand..

vikingshadow
03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey - WTF is going on? I thought all this was settled a month ago, at least that's what it seemed!

You guys need to chill out - no one needs to know what's going on out here. Take it back into the PH guys. We've all had some bad days, no need for name calling and getting out of hand.

Seriously though, D, you need to delete those names because we aren't supposed to give out who banned whom out here. We can do this without Otter coming in. And Matt, sorry, but I spend a hell of a lot of time here also, as do a lot of other guys - to call these "your" forums, well, that's just uncalled for.

Can't we all just be friends????

Hoppy11
03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
All of you old people are out of your minds! The young people run the place!

durrell
03-23-2007, 09:46 AM
WTF why is Hopps banned? This is rediculous. He's been around for 4 years and never had any issues..I can't believe this BS.

Drefish99
03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
durrell you have a PM.

durrell
03-23-2007, 09:59 AM
You need to watch what you're doing leaking info from the Penthouse. You've been warned before. If it happens again, we may have to take action and consider relieving you of your moderating duties.

I can't believe I'm being threatened with a "relief of my duties" because I posted up that one of the other mods has practically lost his mind. The way it's looking, I'm in trouble either way..just like I have been all along. If you "old mods" think me and the other guys are doing such a bad job, why don't you just demote us all and find better candidates for the job? :rolleyes:

There's your PM reply, dre.

Drefish99
03-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry but I thought this is why they were called Private Messages....

durrell
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Well you embarrassed me in public by editing my post, so I can do the same.

shunut
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
The only reason they wouldn't demote us is because then they would have to do some work for a change. The new mods seem to be the excuse for everything lately, you guys were the ones that chose us and trained us, so if anybody is at fault its you guys.

vikingshadow
03-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Holy **** - this is getting WAY out of hand. Let's everyone take a break and regain our composure. Moderators, we need to realize we are supposed to be setting an example here. I could give two left testicles for what any of you guys think of me personally - I saw that in the PH, and some of your not so "private" messages, but I'm not going to bring everything out into the open like this!

:mad: TAKE IT TO THE PENTHOUSE!!!!! :mad:

I've sent a message to get this ****ing thread closed because for some reason you guys are really ****ing out there today...

PS - No need to go with the "old" **** - sounds too much like PBnation in here. Everyone has a right to be here, so long as they follow the rules.

durrell
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Well obviously, some believe they're a step above the rest of us..which is the reason for all of this bull. If some would learn to own up to their mistakes, we wouldn't be having this issue.

bigred76
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
*sigh* Not really my place to get invloved, but I'ma put my ass on the line. Take it to AIM, fellas. This will only get worse, and you all know it. Squash the issues and get on with your life. Act like men: we are mature individuals, and you should start seeming like your balls dropped. Bickering in public is not my ideal of a moderator, and that includes you, Dre.

If ANYONE is at fault, it would be the TEAM, not an individual. As I understand it, you moderators are just that: a team.

Close this thread or move it to the Penthouse, please... Just a request on my part, but it's about time someone said it.

Drefish99
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Closed.

Not good to air out dirty laundry. I would have thought you guys would have known better. I guess this is why Otter doesn't ask me who should be mods because right now none of you are a good choice.

Good day.

durrell
03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah, and you're setting such a great example yourself making it look like you're better than us because you've been here longer and have a different colored name. That's exactly what we're all talking about, we're sick of feeling like the lower part of the moderating team when we should be treated as equals. As of now I really wish I would just get demoted, because obviously you guys don't view me as part of the "team" anyway.

Drefish99
03-23-2007, 10:19 AM
How do I cancel my subscription to your issues????

Go cry me a river.

durrell
03-23-2007, 10:22 AM
That's it. I'm contacting Otter to find out about getting this taken care of once and for all. Something has to be done. It's been necessary for a long time and no one has stepped up to do it, but I've had it.

DRAGON
03-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Christ, are you guys still bickering? **Now in the open duh!** :rolleyes: Who the **** banned Hoppy? Who inserted the bugs in everyone's ass? Fergit Otter, Imma be contacting Jason about this crap. Quite frankly I'm getting tired of all the seperation between the so-called....team - :o