PDA

View Full Version : Update on me

shunut
02-14-2007, 05:41 AM
I have had a couple pms asking me about my health lately. I think partially because I closed my eye drilling service thread and said I will not be accepting anymore work for a while. I figured I'd give everyone an update on how I'm doing and whats going on so everyone's questions will be answered.

For those who don't know me I have Cystic Fibrosis and was very sick last year. I had to give up paintball because my lungs just can't handle it anymore. I've been doing okay. I had to do a 3 week course of IV antibiotics at the end of last year, but that required no hospitalization. I haven't been hospitalized yet this year, but February is always the hardest month for me.

As some of you know, I am in need of a double lung transplant. I'm in the process of trying to get on the transplant list but that has been fighting me so far. The hospital that my doctor is head of pulmnology, St. Joes, just started a new Cardio-Thoracic transplant team so I had been waiting for that to open to start the process. Unfortunately my insurance is not contracted with them so I can't go there. The next closest clinic is University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson, which is about 100 miles away, oppose to the 20 mile drive to St. Joes. I was going to go there but I started doing research and now I think I'm going to go University of California San Diego Medical Center. In the past 10 years UCSD has performed over 200 double lung transplants, where as UAMC has only done 37. Also UCSD's survival rate at 1 year is 81% which is on par with the national average. UAMC's survival rate at 1 year is 66%. I want to give myself the best chance possible so I think I'd much rather go the UCSD, luckily I have travel benefits with my insurance so they will pay for me to go there.

So thats what is going on. I'm not sure when everything is going to start but once the process starts I'm not going to have any free time for a while. There is a long list of tests I have to have done before they will put me on the transplant list, so that will take up lots of time. This is why I closed my eye drilling thread. I just can't commit to something and not be able to do it.

Hossy
02-14-2007, 05:43 AM
hope everything works out fine, and you get the transplant!

Backmanshooter
02-14-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope its a success so you can come back and be with us more. :waytogo:

Sandman_Bravo
02-14-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm pullin' for ya!

vwjimmy
02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the update Josh. We are all pullin for ya. I have lots of family still in SD (I grew up there) so let me know if you need anything while you are out there.
:)

timmyshoota
02-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Remember, I get the Spimmy if anything happens. :dodgy:

Don't forget there's always the option of killing Tim for his lungs.

Maxx-Damage
02-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Good luck, hope u make it

xsgmike66x
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Don't forget there's always the option of killing Tim for his lungs.

QFT Wheres Matt when you need him to hunt someone....:dodgy:

I hope everything goes well Josh, I wish you the best of luck.

durrell
02-14-2007, 09:06 AM
You know you're in my prayers man. Good luck. :)

Jegger24
02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Good luck Josh. Hope it all works out quickly for you!

MVS1
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll keep ya in my prayers and like VW I've got family down there as well and their doors always open if you need it.

WhatThaSmurf
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
You're in my prayers Josh.

yod3r
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
jeeze i had no idea that you were sick, im definatly pullin for you and i hope u get the transplant!

leed
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Good luck Josh, we're all pulling for you. And don't worry, if Tim starts smoking again, he loses them.

vikingshadow
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey, as always, you're in my thoughts and prayers. Take it easy and keep your chin up!

It's easier to hit you that way, LOL!

BrianT
02-14-2007, 02:59 PM
get well soon man. hope everything works out.

boomerisnuts
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Best of luck, my sister has cf.
boomer

shunut
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone, your thoughts are much appreciated. I talked to my doctor today and we have 3 transplant centers all in California we are considering. University of California, San Diego, Univerisity of Southern California and Cedars - Sinai in LA. San Diego still looks like the front runner but I'm still doing research as is my doctor. Plus my brother lives in San Diego.

Best of luck, my sister has cf.
boomer

Wow, how old is she and how is she doing?

TheRedBarron
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
The offer to knock a Kenyan off for his lungs stands. 20 bucks and a plane ticket to kenya will get you a fresh set of lungs ;)

shunut
02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
:evil: :devil:

Let me check on plane fare.

DRAGON
02-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Best wishes shu. think :thumbup: ....

ooglieboogliebob
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Good luck Josh. You've been waiting for this transplant for a while. Hopefully all goes well. You'll be in my prayers bud.

boomerisnuts
02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I dont now how to make a quote, "Wow, how old is she and how is she doing?"
She is 12. She is doing good. She just had sinus surgery because all her sinuses were all clogged up. It wasnt a major proceder but it still wasnt fun to be there and see her go through all that. Especially me being the older brother. Sometimes her having cf scares the crap out of me. It is so unfair and it kills me whenever she has to get ivs but she is so brave. She is my idol.

boomer

p.s. I hope you get on the list and everything will be fine.:)

Hossy
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
She is 12. She is doing good. She just had sinus surgery because all her sinuses were all clogged up. It wasnt a major proceder but it still wasnt fun to be there and see her go through all that. Especially me being the older brother. Sometimes her having cf scares the crap out of me. It is so unfair and it kills me whenever she has to get ivs but she is so brave. She is my idol.

boomer

to quote, do teh {quote}{/quote}, but add the {} with []'s

im sorry for your sister, and im sure your doing a great job supporting her!

shunut
02-14-2007, 08:35 PM

boomer

I've had 3 sinus surgeries. Unfortunately it is a very common thing for CF patients and even worse you have to have it done over and over and over and over. I was very lucky. I really didn't get sick very often. I was hospitalized in 2nd grade, 7th and 12th. Then after I got out of school it was only every 3-4 years up until recently. I was very, very active up until last year, and I could walk into most doctor's offices and they would never guess that I had CF. When I was in school I played on the soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball and tennis teams. Tell her to keep at it and try to be as active as possible. Never put anything off just because she has CF, try to do everything and anything she wants. Thats pretty much how I have lived my life and I think I've done pretty well for a CF patient. They have done a lot of research and have a lot of new technology so she has lots of advantages that I didn't. I know the cure is just around the corner, I can feel it. It will probably come out the day after I get my lung transplant. :)

bamf-hacker
02-15-2007, 07:21 AM
this is all so old for me.. I get the IM pre-play.

Buddy you know We are always thinking about you.

Keep buying those PB tickets though ;)

Like Vike said Chin up.

Eaglelox
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
i wish you the best. my sister in law had a double lung transplant 2 1/2 years ago and is doing great. keep Positive.

Oscum Guy
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
wow, that sucks. i hope your not in that other 19%.

Theheroguy
02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
good luck stay strong
I'm pullin for ya

shunut
02-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone. My decision has been made as to where I'm going. I had 2 clinics I was considering, University of California, San Diego and Cedars-Sinai in LA. My insurance company called on Thursday and Cedars is not contracted with my insurance. So San Diego here I come.

i wish you the best. my sister in law had a double lung transplant 2 1/2 years ago and is doing great. keep Positive.

I wish her the best of luck. I knew a guy who made it a little over 10 years with a double lung transplant, and he was over 40 years old when he got his lungs.

Backmanshooter
02-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Hope you make it alright.

We'll be here waiting for you as soon as you return from the surgery. :waytogo:

shunut
02-18-2007, 08:20 AM
It will be a while before I get my transplant. Typically you sit on the transplant list for 2-3 years.

Backmanshooter
02-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Well still, we'll be here waiting for you to return. :p