PDA

View Full Version : What model is this? and more...

Bilbo
02-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Hello all,
I am a relative newbie to the paintball scene. Played a few times in my teens and now, 20 yrs later, getting back into it. I bought an old, used Spyder the other day. It works great, but I can't figure out what model it is. Picture is attached. The side says "Spyder" and "Semi Automatic .68 Caliber." I tried to compare it to the diagrams on the Kingman site, and the closest thing is the "Spyder Caliber .68" but even that isn't a dead on match. Note that there is a VA, but no expansion chamber or low pressure chamber extending from the front of it. Also, the marker has an M-16 grip, but it is not tapped for an asa. I thought at first the guy who sold it had taken off a pass-thru front grip, added the M16 grip, and converted it from horizontal to vertical. But when I called him he said no, that's the way he got it new.
As I said, I still like the gun. Sure, it's old, but with a little oil it fired 50 2-year-old balls in a burst without a break or jam, and it doesn't leak, which is pretty good for a gun that's been sitting so long. The vertical tank takes a little getting used to, but it does make for a more compact marker. The only thing I don't like, and this is a feature of most Spyders, is the way the feed tube blocks sighting over the barrel.

So, all that said, a few questions:
- Does anyone out there have a better idea as to model? The seller said this marker was actually made by Sheridan, not Kingman, but I can't find anything about it on Sheridan's site, either.
- If you do know what model it is, do you know where I can find diagrams or a manual?
- How does the velocity adjustment screw work? Clockwise for faster, or vice-versa?
- Why did they even bother with the sight rail, since you can't see past the feed tube?
- When I oiled it, I took the barrel off and blew some oil from the asa through the gun. When I did this, I squeezed the trigger and the gun machine-gun fired about 10 times before stopping with the bolt forward. It never did this when I was actually firing paintballs.O n my other markers, this never happened, but they had a different internal setup. Is this normal?
- I know there likely aren't many mods I can do with this gun given its age, but do you think I could at least use newer valves / bolts / etc? I'm not looking to sink a lot into this marker, but it does work nicely and if I upgrade I can see keeping it as a backup.

Thanks

turbo chicken
02-13-2007, 07:58 AM
You sir have a spyder compact ... i'd recommend getting a raised sight rail to ease your woes about sighting ... there are one or two on the buy/sell/tade threads for a couple of bucks ...

-the main kingman sight has disgrams and manuals under tech support
-Velocity screw ... screw clockwise= faster
-sight rail good question ... that's just the way kingman did them back in the day
-something kept the bolt from latching on the sear probably the fact that it needed lube(too much friction) ...the "machine gun"effect was the striker bouncing till it finally stopped ... you didn't have anymore issues after that cause enough lube make it to the internals to make it operate smoothly
-upgrades!!! there is a lot you can do ... i'd suggest checking out
www.ottersccustoms.com for lots of mods you can do to your marker ... without buying a thing as long as you have some basic tools ...

you can use aftermarket valves and bolts ... i recently found a bolt for 4.99 + shipping im going to try out ill post the link when i get home from work ...

hope that helps you out ...

Bilbo
02-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for your input. Not looking to argue here, but the diagrams for the compact show a double trigger and a low pressure chamber on the front. Am I to take it that not all compacts came outfitted the same way? The guy who sold it swears he never modded it.
The machine-gunning, by the way, didn't really stop. I didn't explain that part clearly, I can see. It still machine-guns if I fire oil through without the barrel on. It just doesn't machine-gun when I have the barrel on and am shooting. My guess was that maybe there is enough back-pressure when the barrel is on to keep the bolt back longer so the sear engages. Maybe I'll run some more oil through and see if it changes.
Thanks again for your advice.

MVS1
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I've seen instances were too much lube has made the marker "jackhammer". A little goes a long ways.

turbo chicken
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
some of the compacts came just like yours when the setup was popular ... i've had one or 2 just like that pass thru my hands in the past ... i like them with 3.5oz and pocket hoppers ...

The oil is probably restricting the airflow to the striker ... there is too much oil on the valve stem ... but once the intial blow of oil is passed thru you shouldn't have a problem ... other than that i'd suggest checking the sear and striker for wear ... i've never had one wear out on my but i guess it could happen