PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bolt?

LyricalColt
02-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I've heard alot of talk about the stock MR2 bolt, about how it is'nt always a complete seal with the body tube and allows alot of blow-back and gas leakage. I know that many people have suggested putting 0-rings on it, but how exactly would one go about that, if I wanted to do it myself, without hiring someone? Does it even help that much? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Jarhead
02-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I've heard alot of talk about the stock MR2 bolt, about how it is'nt always a complete seal with the body tube and allows alot of blow-back and gas leakage. I know that many people have suggested putting 0-rings on it, but how exactly would one go about that, if I wanted to do it myself, without hiring someone? Does it even help that much? Is it worth it?

Thanks

I bought one from Alamo City Paintball. I wouldn't have tried to mill it, to much room for errors for me atleast

Here is the link to Alamo

http://www.alamocitypb.com/MANUFACTPAGES/kingman.html

Hob Hayward
02-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Someone succuessfulyl milled their ACS bolt for o-rings once, but it didn't work, because there was too much friction from the o-rings touching the body that the acs would partially be activating while not hitting into anything- thus the seal was a million times worse and the bolt just made everything worse, major blowby and random choppage from the crazy air.

The Booth Man
02-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Someone succuessfulyl milled their ACS bolt for o-rings once, but it didn't work, because there was too much friction from the o-rings touching the body that the acs would partially be activating while not hitting into anything- thus the seal was a million times worse and the bolt just made everything worse, major blowby and random choppage from the crazy air.

Actually mine did work. I milled the ACS Bolt for an o-ring, and posted the results about a month and a half ago. I even made a video of the reduced blow-by.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=7948&highlight=o-ring+bolt

The trick is to mill the groove deep enough so that friction isn't a problem, yet shallow enough so that there is a better seal than the ACS bolt. It doesn't have to be a tight seal, just enough to seal off the bolt chamber.

Note: This mod is useless unless you combine it with a regulator to reduce the pressure.

LyricalColt
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
What tools did you use? Did you mill the grooves that were already there, or make new ones? Etc. etc. i dont want to mess up my bolt and end up chopping it in half...

The Booth Man
02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
What tools did you use? Did you mill the grooves that were already there, or make new ones? Etc. etc. i dont want to mess up my bolt and end up chopping it in half...

Understood. I used a hack saw to cut the groove. I made little cuts at a time and then placed the o-ring in the groove to see where I needed to cut. I kept cutting and widening the groove until I reached the desired depth. I made the new groove about 1/2" from the front of the bolt.

Now I don't recommend this unless you understand the risks involved. You could very well chop the bolt in half. You could also screw up the bolt so that there is too much friction. Also, if you do get it to work, you might need to replace the rubber detent fairly often.

I'm not one to be pessimistic, especially when I did it myself. But I can't guarantee that it will work for you. I just want you to be prepared for the worst.

Good luck!

The Booth Man

LyricalColt
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks.