PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Old Paintballs.

Spr4YnPr4Y
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I've got some old paint, that is literally two years old. I dont know if brand helps but, its "32 Degrees" paint. The paint is sealed in a special, almost vaccume sealed package. So I dont know whether or not I should put these through my gun. Or chuck them, or what else to do with them.

Thanks for the advice.

shunut
02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
If you rotated them regularly then you might be able to shot them, if not I probably wouldn't put them in your gun.

Open the bag and feel them, see if they are brittle or misshaped.

Backmanshooter
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Check and see if they have dimples. If they seem in good condition, put them through a back up gun or your not so good gun. Like my spyder will shoot anything.

samus129
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
drop 1 from wast hight if it braeks its no good if it doesnt use them for target practice.

*EM1-Master*
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
When I first got my Shocker, I pulled out year old Tear paint. I took it out of the bag. Dropped one from like 8 inches. Splat. Decide to put it through the Shocker... Not a single break... Except when the Reloader decided to kill one. Okay now that that fun story's over... The drop test and looking for dimples/crazy-shaped paintballs :) should tell you what you're working with.

bracer028
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
i buy a new box of paint and return the old ones to walmart.

samus129
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
what do u get from walmart when u retern old balls and are they from walmart

Backmanshooter
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
drop 1 from wast hight if it braeks its no good if it doesnt use them for target practice.How is it no good?

If I remember correctly, on a paintball show about a year ago, Matty Marshall Said "Good paintballs should break from waist height." Then he did it and broke. I'm pretty sure they ARE supposed to break at waist height IF they are good.

I tried it with 3 yr old paint and didnt work.

timbertiger20
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Well remember with the older Spyders your hitting them with a direct 800 PSI. Honestly dimples aren't a huge deal because you can pull them out. Much more concerned about too easily breaking and absesses the protrude from the paint. Also the breaking too easily thing. I bought 4 cases of xball gold once and immediately took them out to do a drop test. My buddy drops one from head heighth he's 6 foot tall. It bounced picks up the same paintball and tries again. Bounces again. Throws it across the culdesac and it bounces and keeps on going. Tried multiple balls......they were like super balls. SHot them out of a gun.......4 cases later no breaks in gun, no breaks in Cheetah'd Halo, not one bounce in the field! I broke balls laying in the grassy field on grass blades. I have no explanation for how that's remotely possible.......but it was the greatest paint I've ever shot in my life. I have shot lots of other stuff that was too brittle!

Backmanshooter
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Well remember with the older Spyders your hitting them with a direct 800 PSI. Honestly dimples aren't a huge deal because you can pull them out.Well you dont want to put a dimpled [mulitiple dimples] paintball in your hopper. Let alone your chamber. If its not even close to round, more than likely it wont be very accurate/break in the breech.

Nenkitsune
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
scorch/impact does that lol, you ahve to spike it to get them to break

shunut
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I shot 6 month old Scorch from Wal Mart through my Ego when I first got it. I got 1 mid-air break and thats it. All the rest shot great.

Backmanshooter
02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I shot 6 month old Scorch from Wal Mart through my Ego when I first got it. I got 1 mid-air break and thats it. All the rest shot great.Mid air break...I lol'd.

Would have been funny if you were playing and it broke midair. You are shooting at someone and they see it break midair. That'd be funny to see.

samus129
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
How is it no good?

If I remember correctly, on a paintball show about a year ago, Matty Marshall Said "Good paintballs should break from waist height." Then he did it and broke. I'm pretty sure they ARE supposed to break at waist height IF they are good.

i find if paint cant handle a drop from waist hight it usaly breaks when shot out of the gun.

Backmanshooter
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
i find if paint cant handle a drop from waist hight it usaly breaks when shot out of the gun.Well I'm pretty sure if it breaks from waist height, its good.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hob Hayward
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I saw that as well Backmanshooter, though I believe he said if it was from head height, not waist height.

Timbertiger, xball in general is definitely awesome paint, cheap, and damn good :).

tater_salad
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I <3 X-Ball.

Theheroguy
02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
just use it...and make a video of it for us.

timbertiger20
02-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Not true......If they are out of round they are garbage. If they are dimpled adding moisture to them will suck the dimples right out. People sometimes wonder at scenario's with bad paint why our team always has great paint when they came off of the same skid. I take an extra cooler just to put all my paint in and adjust the humidity. You can also adjust size if you don't have a barrel kit like the old timers used to! It's nice to have some ex pro's on your team from the early days of paintball!

Well you dont want to put a dimpled [mulitiple dimples] paintball in your hopper. Let alone your chamber. If its not even close to round, more than likely it wont be very accurate/break in the breech.

Backmanshooter
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I saw that as well Backmanshooter, though I believe he said if it was from head height, not waist height.

Timbertiger, xball in general is definitely awesome paint, cheap, and damn good :).Ah. Well it was a while ago and I thought he said waist. But ya its not THAT big of a difference but whatever. ;)

Theheroguy
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
woah man tricks us new kids never hurd uhvv

Spr4YnPr4Y
02-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Waoh, I came back to check and 3 pages long o.o;

Anyways, ill pop open the bag this weekend and let you guys know how 2 year old paint did. From the comments, it seems it should do fine, and the clear packaging shows no dents in the ball at all and no broken paint so I think its pretty safe to use.

Thanks guys!

turbo chicken
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
get your buddies ... a couple of mask ... slingshots ... nuffsaid

now that im thinking about it ... that'd probably hurt ... anyone ever chrono with a slingshot?

Backmanshooter
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM

now that im thinking about it ... that'd probably hurt ... anyone ever chrono with a slingshot?Or if you want to be safe, just throw it.

Let us know how the paint works. If its not broken or mishaped it should be fine.

Triple xXx
02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Old paintballs! I shoot them at trees or what ever I want to.

shunut
02-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Mid air break...I lol'd.

Would have been funny if you were playing and it broke midair. You are shooting at someone and they see it break midair. That'd be funny to see.

I actually have it on video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-343288091668219112

I <3 X-Ball.

X Ball is awesome. I shot 2 cases of Bronze last time I went out. Not one chop, it was breaking on impact and seemed very consistant accuracy wise.

Spr4YnPr4Y
02-08-2007, 11:00 PM

now that im thinking about it ... that'd probably hurt ... anyone ever chrono with a slingshot?

Haha, just for fun. Im gonna try that on sunday :) Let you guys know if the FPS even registers with the chrono.

And about the paint, havent had a chance to open the bag yet. Either tomorrow or sunday, ill try them out.

Backmanshooter
02-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Hahaha. That was awesome. nice ego BTW.

Eaglelox
02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
i have rehydrated paintballs using this method. for a five hundred count bag i will wet one hand completely, then put your hand in the bag and mix the paint up. close bag so it is air tight and let sit over night. this is normally good for about two days. if i don’t want to do that i give them to the kids and dogs. they both have a ball with them.

Triple xXx
02-10-2007, 05:21 AM
The dog??????????

Backmanshooter
02-10-2007, 07:15 AM
i have rehydrated paintballs using this method. for a five hundred count bag i will wet one hand completely, then put your hand in the bag and mix the paint up. close bag so it is air tight and let sit over night. this is normally good for about two days. if i donít want to do that i give them to the kids and dogs. they both have a ball with them.Huh?

Thats confusing.

Eaglelox
02-10-2007, 08:11 AM
yea. my lab loves to eat and play with them. dork dog.

Backmanshooter
02-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Hahah. I got it now. I broke it down for my intelligence level. :p

Pwgsx
02-10-2007, 02:49 PM
what do u get from walmart when u retern old balls and are they from walmart

store credit ;)

Backmanshooter
02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
store credit ;)FTW

I could have bought like 1000 paintballs with my walmart card but...I already have 3000 :p

So I bought an xbox game instead. ;)

badlandsrox
02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
havent you watched that adam sandler movie (the one where hes lookin after that kid...)?

old shrively balls are useless :dodgy:

Backmanshooter
02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Ha. Big daddy?

"He has a 5 yr plan"

"What is it? Dont die?"

Love that movie.

clickclicksplat
02-10-2007, 07:12 PM
How is it no good?

That's wrong. Anything that breaks in one drop from waist height is extremely brittle paint that you'll probably have problems witgh (breaking in the barrel, etc.)

I found a nice in-depth article about the bounce test, and every time I've used it it's worked great for me. You can find it here. (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/04_paint_testing.shtml)

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, basically 1-2 bounce is super brittle that'll often break in your marker, sometimes just from the air pressure of the shot. 2-3 is "considered fragile tourney paint, breaks on people and in the guns too." 4-6 bounce paint is the best and will go through most guns without a problem and still break on your target, though they will bounce on longer shots.

Take 10 paintballs, drop the paint (one ball at a time) from about 6 feet onto a hard surface like concrete, let it bounce once, and then catch it before it can bounce a second time. Do this until it breaks, then move on to the next ball. Average it out at the end, and there you go.

Backmanshooter
02-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Well Matty Marshall was lying...according to you Mr. Paint expert. :rolleyes: