PDA

View Full Version : Ttinks one and only car poll.

ttink
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
ok, well, its almost time to start looking for cars for me, and i have narrowed it down to two. I am thinking about a 96 ish toyota tacoma truck, or a 94 (i think) bmw 325i. Now, the truck would be sweet for going up skiing in winter cuz of 4wd and of course, laying in the back to look at stars with the ladies. Now, the thing with the bmw is my buddy go one for working this summer, and its a 325i. So i thought id me pretty cool to get a little thing going to see who can make it the coolest. So, i want ure guys's opinions.

geeZus
01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Real smart, buy an old BMW that is gonna start need matinence, and everyone knows how outrageous BMW costs are.

Cheat71
01-19-2006, 06:01 PM
325 would be good but with less than 70-80k. Ive seen many people upwards of 90k start to have big issues. The bmw would be real fun to drive and the stock handling is really good. A good model to go with would be the 2.8l v6 which I believe is a 328i.

DFSniper
01-22-2006, 04:04 AM
my moms '91 750i cost us $700 from someone who was moving, then after a while we had to get the alternator and fan replaced, pipes/muffler/cat. converter patched up, replaced about 3-5 exterior lights, and now it doesnt wanna start up. if i were you, i'd get something around '95 or newer. on the other hand, im not a big fan of japanese trucks...

my vote: BMW

ttink
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Thx for actually posting a decent reason DF.

geeZus
01-25-2006, 08:26 PM
everyone knows how outrageous BMW costs are.
I hope you are made of money if you don't think thats a DECENT reason. If you aren't made of money, I seriously hope you know how outrageous BMW costs are. It isn't $15 for an oil change, and real matinence isn't cheap by Bill Gates' standards.

FredPo
01-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Toyota Truck would be perfect. For one, every guy should own a truck, I don't care what anyone says. Second, Toyota is known for their durability so slapping 300,000 miles on a toyota truck is nothing. Go for the truck and ditch the sissy BMW.

Fred

QAZ123
01-26-2006, 07:55 AM
I'd buy the truck although a BMW of any year is nice! Both are awesome and you can put the miles on either one but I think the toyota truck being 16 and limited on money would be your best bet although my cousin just hit the 400,000 mile mark on her bmw but I'd still go for the truck! Of course I got a buddy with 367,000 on his tacoma and the only reason he isn't driving it is cause he buckled the frame lol!

JB

claustrophobia9
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
For one, every guy should own a truck the world would suck.

ttink
01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
O, ures was a good reason Geezus... dont worry.

Thanks for all the replies.

tigerdave714
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Toyota Trucks are among the most reliable and dependable. Aftermarket parts are cheap and readily available if/when you look to give it a little flash and style. Regular maintenance is affordable. Stock/replacement parts are available from most dealers and catalogs. And with a truck you never need help moving furniture, appliances, and other big stuff. You just need a buddy to help you load and unload.

BMW's are nice but they are known for being expensive to maintain. Even regular maintenance (oil changes, tires, belts, bulbs, etc...) is almost twice the going rate and thats not just once or twice. That will be true for the life of the vehicle. The exterior will look great for a long time if you keep it up with regular wash/wax and careful driving/parking... but the interior is sure to lose its fit'n'finish fast (if it hasnt already, being used). Aftermarket parts are expensive (no surprise) and you might be hard pressed to find someone willing to work on it when you need something fixed. If you live near a large city with a BMW dealership, you're set. But move to a small town or have a breakdown in some backwoods place and see how far you have to have it towed to find a mechanic who can fix it for you.

And there's one thing that no one has mentioned as of yet. PROPERTY TAX!!! One of my friends was given a brand new 325i when he graduated college. He loved that car (so did I... lucky punk)! But less than a year out of school he traded it in for a used Toyota. I asked him why and he said the property tax was just too darn high. He had a good job and very few expenses (small apartment, no family, no house payments). It just costs to much to own something like that.

Go for the truck

durrell
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Toyota FTW. The truck will last you 3 or 400k miles with no problem at all. If it breaks down, it's a cheap fix (normally). BMW's have a record for breaking down frequently and when they do they cost a fortune to fix. I definitely suggest the Toyota.

DexGtr
01-31-2006, 05:51 AM
yep...if you're going to buy a bimmer get anew one ...at least you get their lifetime maintenance thing free..but other than that there are so much more cost associated with owning a luxury car....GET the TRUCK, then charge everybody who wants to borrow it. :D