PDA

View Full Version : Use tax

vikingshadow
02-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Anyone else in states other than Oklahoma have to pay Use Tax? I'm so upset right now, it's ridiculous! This is just another way a pissed off goverment gets money from our pockets!

For those who don't know, in Oklahoma, a Use Tax is a "tax" the State charges for buying things off the internet since they can't get tax out of the internet vender. In Oklahoma, they usually use a formula, something like your total income times .000035. Now, I buy a lot of stuff on the internet, simply because it's not available locally, and this "Use Tax" has pissed a LOT of people off besides me. They're actually MAKING us pay more for not beinig lucky enough to live in a part of the state where we can actually drive a few blocks and pick it up.

Oh, by the way, my brother buys even MORE stuff off the net than I do, and he tried to say "No" to the Use Tax this year, and it put in the "average estimate" anyways! I shouldn't complain, because his expense was a LOT more than mine was. Either way, we have to pay this stupid tax.

I'm really irritated about this because not only do you have to pay shipping and handling charges to the vender, but then you have to try and keep track of it for tax season and pay more on top of that. Normally, I'd say go to a local business and buy it and save the S&H, but out here in bumsexualterm Egypt, you have to travel 300 miles to find things you actually need. I buy professional books, magazines, CDs and DVDs, and much more expensive paintball things of the internet, so I'm a regular user.

Now, I had to pay $400.00 to the wonderful State of Oklahoma last year in taxes (on an Oklahoma teacher and state employee salary, no less!) so I decided this year to have an additional $50.00 a month taken out of my paycheck for state taxes. Before I go further, one thing you should know is that Oklahoma has one of the highest tax bills from it's people in the nation, which is bad considering we're always hovering around 48th or so in average income in the nation. Our legislators, by the way are within the top 5-7 paid in the nation, last I heard. Sounds fair, doesn't it? When you talk about the "rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer" you can actually use Oklahoma as a model for this!

Anywho, all was going well until that stupid "Use Tax" came up. Up until this point, we were actually going to GET BACK $22.00 from Oklahoma, but my estimated "Use Tax" was $33.00, so yes, I have to pay $11.00 to the state. Now, I'll wait until April 16th to pay it (tax day is usually the 15th, but it falls on a Sunday this year) and you can bet I'll be looking for a way to get past it anyway, without lying, that I can.

I'm old and disgruntled, and if I could, I'd move to another state just because of the tax bill around here. It wouldn't be so bad, but NONE of the money they get is used in ways it should be. And the State of Oklahoma wonders why it can't get people to stay in the state, nor businesses to build here.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Halucin8
02-04-2007, 09:38 AM
wow never heard of that tax and i do not have it in north carolina but somethign is defintiely wrong what happens to people that do not have internet access. do they dstill have to pay it? my inlaws do own a computer nor do they ever get on the internet. with a 2 income household where they both make good money that would be wrong!

calebh
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
nope, not in texas. we just get screwed by insurance, especially us male teenagers. im paying more than half the market value of my 88 f150 in insurance every year. we also have huge property taxes cuz the monkeys in the legislature cant figure out how to fund schools. and the appraisal is always ridiculously high until you complain because the schools need more money. this past year, property values (for tax purposes) went up exactly 50% across the county. a lot of ppl complained, but not enough i think. they cant raise property taxes anymore, so they raise the value. and of course, teachers get to pay their own salaries out of that...

Sandman_Bravo
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Come to NY, we are the tax capitol. I am self employed and I can tell you it's absolutely ridiculous around here. State tax, gas tax, highway tax, tax tax, geez!

vikingshadow
02-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Texas, if I remember right, doesn't have state/sales taxes, but extremely HIGH property taxes. Right?

Unfortunately, from what I understand, when the citizens of Texas voted for their lottery system, they were mislead, like the rest of the country, that the lottery would fully, or at least mostly, cover the cost of education. Of course, once that stopped, the bill for schools fell back on the property tax thing.

I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen in Oklahoma.

I had to go back and question that "everyone has to pay the use tax". I don't think that would be right, but then they're (the state) operating off the assumption that in a computerized world, how do they actually know if what someone is telling them is actually the truth? I actually think I remember them saying that their concern was people ordering things off the net from work computers as well....who knows? But, see why I'm aggravated?

badlandsrox
02-04-2007, 12:33 PM
nope, not in texas. we just get screwed by insurance, especially us male teenagers. im paying more than half the market value of my 88 f150 in insurance every year. we also have huge property taxes cuz the monkeys in the legislature cant figure out how to fund schools. and the appraisal is always ridiculously high until you complain because the schools need more money. this past year, property values (for tax purposes) went up exactly 50% across the county. a lot of ppl complained, but not enough i think. they cant raise property taxes anymore, so they raise the value. and of course, teachers get to pay their own salaries out of that...

Right now im paying 4900 insururance on a car that is only worth 500 dollars and thats with a 50% cut because of drivers ed :mad:

calebh
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
oh ya i didnt think about the insurance cuts... i got the good grades, drivers ed (which is only 15% for me), and safe parents drivers cut, and i still have ridiculously high insurance... so roughly half the value of my truck in insurance, for nothing more than simple liability.

vike, texas wide sales tax is 6.25%. local areas can add up to 2% if they want, and it seems that nearly all do. and yes, we do have extremely high property tax. the lottery does help fund the schools, but its not near enough.

timmyshoota
02-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Right now im paying 4900 insururance on a car that is only worth 500 dollars and thats with a 50% cut because of drivers ed :mad:
BAHAHAHAH Full coverage for me on my old Integra was $3000 a year, at 20 with a speeding ticket and an at fault accident. That was on a car worth ~$5000.

Anyways, how in the hell do they know how much you spend online?

MVS1
02-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey Vike did they ever finish the Indian statue on the top of the capitol building? I can't remember the dollar amount they spent on that but I know it had an M somewhere in the price tag. After hearing this I'm glad when I transfer back there in a year and a half I won't have to contribute any of my hard earned dollars to that defunked government (I came in the Air Force from Alaska and kept that as my state residence). If your fed up with your state, head north, yeah its cold, dark half the year, remote, but theres no state tax, most burroughs (counties)don't have a local tax and the state pays you to live there, or in my case not to live there:D, plus the scenery is incredible.

vikingshadow
02-04-2007, 03:36 PM
They also pay teachers LOTS of money up there! Only condition is you have to live where only snowmobiles can get...too cold, too dark, and too far away from the family. Of course, if I decide to leave the family, that'd be the 2nd perfect place to hide!

Yup, they have the Indian up there. In my opinion, that whole dome thing was a joke. Not supposed to use taxpayer money, completely funded by private contributors, my asterick! What the hell did we need a DOME for? Because every other state has one? I think we were like one of maybe 4 states that didn't have one, which in my mind made us more unique, but nooooo. We got our dome! Then, they keep the electricity on that blessed thing 24 hours a day.....someone's got to pay the lighting and heating/cooling bills!

Timmyshoota - we all said the same thing for a long time, but they were catching people somehow. I have no idea how, but that's when everyone started just paying the estimated amount.

timmyshoota
02-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought taxes were bad here in the Communistwealth of Virginia, but atleast they have legit taxes here, not made up ones.

colonel_moo
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
at least you dont live in Mass, where property taxes have gone up 49 percent since 2000.

Halucin8
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
property taxes have gone up 50% since last year in teh county next to me. which is where i play paintball. the private land we play on just got more expensive by a lot and i worry the owner will have to sell to keep his house. they are driving all the people that are from here out of their homes because an 80,000 dollar house and land last year now tax appraises for 150,000 and tehy raised the property taxes by 50%. it is crazy. i can only assume my county will be next :(

DRAGON
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Time is short before the **** hits the fan and everybody just get's fed up of giving so much any more. Eventually there will be no more middle class Americans. Seems the only smart ones are the bums that don't pay squat with their hand out waiting for the government to give them something else. You can rest assured that if a Democrat wins the next election, there'll be even more incentive to just give up and live in the street waiting on your next hand out from your good 'ol uncle Sam -