PDA

View Full Version : KUSA your opinions are wanted

Hossy
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
If you frequent the chat, you may know i am makeing my way out of paintball, because since highschool has started for me, and other sports taking up much of my time and commitment, im trying to slowly move out of the sport. I will be planning to sell my paintball stuff, to get a car. Well i found a great deal on Craigslist, where Mike really got me hooked onto. But, as we all know, there are scammers everwhere in our world. Ive read on Craigslist that there are scams, usually comming from overseas, with wiretransfers and all. Well I was looking around, and found a Jetta, yes some of you may say its a chick car, but ive read up on them and zomg, this is nice, and has some stuff on it that makes it look like a faster car than it is. So, my question to you is does this look like a scam, comming from overseas, and having it on a craigslist over here? I wrote an email to the seller, and this is what he said.

TL;DR (just cause i dont like it when vike doesnt have one :p ) Read the Email below, I am interested in buying car, and answer the questions at the bottom.
Hello,
and thank you for your interest in my car. The Jetta looks and runs exactly as new. It has a 1.8Turbo engine with an automatic transmission. Overall this car has been kept clean and is in good condition! The title is clean, and you will receive it along with the car, so you will have no problems whatsoever registering it there. The vin # is: (taken out just incase). This car has ALWAYS been ADULT driven. This is a ONE owner adult owned car, never raced. It has 70,120 miles on it (mostly highway). It was never involved in any accident, not even minor ones. This vehicle's exterior shows very small wear and tear. As you can see on the pictures it's is very clean , the cloth interior has no rips & tears or cigarette burns. The sport seats are dark gray with light gray inserts which is a beautiful color combination. It has Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Heated Mirrors, Heated seats, Keyless entry and much more!
I have the photos of the car hosted on the internet at the following address:
http://usera.imagecave.com/2002jettabob/
Check them out, there are over 100 pics! you can really see this beauty from all angles. I hope you are serious in your intention for buying, don`t take it personally, but I had many problems with fake buyers in the past. So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay`s Safe Purchase program. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. After you receive the car and you inspect it, the money will be released to me, in this way we are both protected. Anyway, the car is available and I guess you could be its new owner if everything turns out all right and, again, you are serious about buying. I am located in Amsterdam,Netherlands. I moved here a few months ago, brought the car with me, but unfortunatelly I am not able to register it here, as it has US specs and emission stanards, non compliant with European regulations. My final price on it is 5.500$. If you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location. Please get back to me A.S.A.P. if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction details from them.

(address and name taken out)

SO my questions to you are:

1) Anyone think this is kinda not safe, with him taking it over with him, but him probably knowing that it wouldnt pass emitions?
2) Anyone here bought or sold a car over eBay and there payment plan he said?
3)Scammer, or Not a Scammer?
4) He wrote alot, but he could of sent it too many others as well...is that kinda sketchy
Thanks for any advice

Halucin8
02-03-2007, 03:08 PM
The biggest consern even if it is not a scam is can the car be registered in the states. there are alot of safety laws regarding cars here int he states that are not required to be put in cars in europe. some concerns are safety glass, seat belts rated correctly, emissions, and i am sure there are others. I am speaking from not personal experience but from other marines experience trying to bring cars back from overseas. we usually just sell the cars to other marines on base because of the cost of making them street legal. you best bet is contact the dmv and find out what it would take to legally register the car. I have sold one car on ebay to a guy from canada and he flew in to raliegh north carolina and rented a car and picked it up and drove it back to canada. but I would efinitely be wary of buying a car i have never drove let alone ehar run. unless it was aparts car. sorry for the long post hope it helps

DFSniper
02-03-2007, 03:15 PM
well, it says that it has US specs and meets the emissions standards, so so far it sounds pretty legal. also, he brought it from the states. but i know what you're saying about european specs (ive been stuck here for 3 years...). and it would cost a lot to get everything euro-spec'd (we're talking about a few thousand dollars...)

calebh
02-03-2007, 03:52 PM
hmm... im skeptical because he doesnt mention anything bad about the car. absolutely nothing. im liking it because he's not from nigeria (scams were the countries largest source of income for many years. maybe still that way...). im skeptical because theres no such thing as a Safe Purchase program from ebay (to my knowledge. if there is, i cant find it anywhere on their site, and google turns up nothing). there is however an eBay motors Vehicle Purchase Protection program, which should do the job, as long as the transaction is done thru ebay motors. im not sure how that would work using craigslist... i like it cuz he has buttloads of pics that seem to be original

i say scam... check the VIN with one of those websites that does that kind of thing and see what comes up.

sir shoot alot
02-03-2007, 04:00 PM
have him put it on ebay motors with buy it now and send you the link right away and buy it with the buy it now so it's 100 percent done through ebay motors
just my opinion

vwjimmy
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I guess my question is why buy that car when there are tons of Jettas here in the US in the same condition for similar $$$. I could understand if ti was a classic or a rare car, but not a regular Jetta....we have 22 used Jettas in stock right now, and although they are all lower miles than this one, there are plenty around. An Autotrader search found 79 1.8t Jettas for sale within 50 miles of my house! I say find one closer.

TacTownKilla
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
With out even reading your thread, Overseas Buy/Sell/Trader=Scam.

timmyshoota
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Who cares if its a scam? Its riced, don't buy it.

vwjimmy
02-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Who cares if its a scam? Its riced, don't buy it.
????
The car is German.....

durrell
02-04-2007, 05:51 AM
It's a scam Hoss. I only had to read through the "Make your payment on eBay" part to know. Try to find one where you can deal with cash or a check, straight up.

leed
02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
It's a scam Hoss. I only had to read through the "Make your payment on eBay" part to know. Try to find one where you can deal with cash or a check, straight up.

QFT. And also what vwjimmy said, look locally, I'm sure you can find a nice priced Jetta there. Look in the ads, go to some used car lots, etc. Do some carshopping.

timmyshoota
02-04-2007, 10:44 AM
????
The car is German.....

Doesn't matter what country its from, rice is rice.

Hossy
02-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Thats what i was thinking. He posted in the Washington DC craigslist, and until he said overseas i was fine. I am looking at local meet up deals.

Thanks, and if mods feel the need be, you can close this thread