View Full Version : converting to lp

01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
ok i have an 05 spyder electra and i want to convert it to low pressure.. is this a good idea and is it worth it? will these parts work for it?

new designs spyder HP valve
new designs spyder HP valve stem
maddman spyder spring kit (is that any good?)

is there anything else i would need??


01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Low pressure will simply lower your operating pressure and make your gun a little more efficient with air.

Only get the low pressure system only if you are getting nitro if not then dont worry about getting it. Instead of getting low pressure maybe get a drop foward and a GAS grip for the gas to get to the chamber easier!

Putting a Low Pressure Chamber (correctly called an Air Reservoir, "Low Pressure Chamber" is very misleading) on your gun does not make it operate at lower pressures or more efficient unless you are using a low pressure valve (does not include a "Turbo Valve"), and a regulator. the only thing it does is increase the volume of the air chamber...and a small air chamber at 800psi is the same as a larger chamber at 800psi.

if you want to go LP on your gun you would need:

-Low Pressure Valve (i.e. AKA Tornado Valve)
-Regulator (any brand)
-LP Chamber

Low pressure will work with either CO2 or Nitrogen, but Nitrogen runs no risk of hurting the LP Valve like CO2 could.
Yeah, you are going to want a guage somewhere in there, too. So many regs and low pressure chambers, youre better know what your putting into the gun. Low Pressure tanks usually output 450 PSI.

It really depends on your gun whether you should get it or Not

Tippmanns, Spyders and other entry level guns need 800 PSI or higher to operate, so you would need an HP tank with these guns to generate enough pressure to allow the gun to operate. So if you have a gun that needs 800 PSI to work and you hook up a 400 PSI LP tank to it, you are not putting in enough pressure to allow the gun to work. This is why you would need a high pressure tank.

Mid- to higher-end guns typically operate with less than 300 PSI input pressure and come with a high pressure regulator. High pressure regulators go inline (in between) the tank and the gun. These regulators can accept an input pressure of up too 850 PSI and regulate it down to a user-adjustable setting to meet the markers’ LP needs. LP guns can use LP tanks. Using an LP Tank with an LP gun will result in better shot consistency over the chrono because you are not putting as much stress on the inline high pressure regulator. Having an LP tank with an LP gun will also prevent or minimize hot shots if your inline regulator fails. It will minimize the high pressure air spike going into the gun which will typically cause your velocity to spike up as well.

So in short, if you have an HP gun or an LP gun with an HP regulator, you can use an HP tank. LP guns can also use an LP tank. Some guns, like the Angel Speed 05, come with a built-in, inline LP regulator so they can only use LP tanks. As technology advances we are seeing more and more entry level guns becoming LP, so it’s always best to check with the manufacturer of your marker for their tank recommendations. And never buy a new tank before you buy a new gun.

So all in all. i dont think low pressure would be good for your Electra

01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
well what made me think about it in the first place is 1) my gun is really loud and i was hoping i could lower noise with a new barrel and making it lp, 2) my gun's velocity spikes constantly and gets really annoying when i cant even get 3 shots off without the alarm going off, and 3) i think a regulator would look quite nice on my gun :)

i was thinking maybe a shocktech inline regulator (high pressure? cuz it says hp goes up to 600 psi or something like that and lp only goes to 200)

Hob Hayward
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Co2 won't hurt the valve. I've been running my LP imagine on co2 for quite some time with no ill effects.

WBpaintball is probably thinking about the air solenoids in high end guns that can be damaged by co2, regular Spyder valve won't be effected either way.

If you use co2, get a palmer's stabilizer or palmer's fatty stabilizer. Those are both GREAT co2 regs ( the best made ). Make sure to get the reg before the other parts, because they won't be able to function properly without the reg.

I'd suggest getting either of the palmer's regs I mentioned, either the NDZ or maddman valves, a higher flow bolt (alamocitypb bolts are good) and a higher flowing vertical adapter (thats where the reg screws into). I would suggest the 32* spring kit over the maddman kit because, if I'm correct it has more springs that you can use.

Again, don't cheap out on the reg, this is they critical part for going LP, while a mediocre reg will get you by, its well worth the investment for a high quality reg.

01-31-2007, 03:48 PM
i didnt know if you knew this or not but i am running nitro on my gun.. do you know anything about the shocktech regs? im leaning towards those because theyre pretty much the same as CP regs but i like the look way better than the CP ones.. will the electra work good with a shocktech inline reg?

Hob Hayward
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
If you have nitro right now, you shouldn't have any issues with velocity spiking. Well, palmers is still one of the best regs out there even if not using co2 :p. And it does look like the Shocktech reg is made by CP, which means that its a darn good reg.

01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, nothing like complicating things with an answer like above.

I would personally go with the CP reg. I've used CP regs for a while and love them.

As for LPing your Spyder. First read this, http://www.ottersccustoms.com/lp.html, so you understand what you are doing and why.

Parts that you should change to achieve a lower operating pressure, parts I recommend are in parentheses:

Valve - You can mod the stock one or buy a new one
Aftermarket high flow Spyder valves: (Maddmann Rocket Valve), NDZ or AKA

Regulator - (CP), Bob Long Torpedo or Palmer's Stabilizer

V/A - You can mod your stock VA, follow instructions on Otter's site, or buy a new one
Aftermarket VA: (Check It Assault Block) or Trinity Front Block

Bolt - You can mod your stock bolt, follow the instructions on Otter's site, or buy a new one
Aftermarket Bolt: (AKA Lightning Bolt), ACP Blue Bolt or AMP Tigershark (if you can find one)

Striker - You can mod your stock striker, follow the instructions on Otter's site, or buy a new one
Aftermarket Strikers: (DH Titanium Striker), Sundragon Dragonfly Striker or IPS Nightstriker XL

Dont forget a barrel with good porting.

01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
thanks that helped alot. and for the rocket valve is there a valve stem that i would need to buy or is that included?

Oscum Guy
01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
You want lp but your buying hp parts?

01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
high performance not high pressure lol.. sorry i didnt clarify that

01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
The valve pin is included in the maddman rocket valve and it is all ready to go.

02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
ok cool. i was just thinking of modding my current VA because 1) i like the look of it better than the check it 15 assault block (although i do like how it is angled) and 2) the check it assault block is shiny black and my gun has a matte finish.. not that big of a deal but i want it to match lol

Hob Hayward
02-01-2007, 02:36 PM
You can try modding the stock VA, but results will vary, and its hard to make your VA nearly as high flowing as it needs to be. I'm pretty sure they changed the design on the VA's so that they're lower flowing than before. WHen I tried to mod mine, no matter what I did it wouldn't get nearly as high flowing as I wanted it to be. I popped the Trinity VA on and I noticed a huge difference.

02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Sometimes modding a stock VA doesn't work, just so you know. I drilled mine out as much as I could and couldn't get my marker to operate below about 500psi, which doesn't work for the rocket valve. I got a 32 degrees/Bob Long high flow VA and all my problems were solved. Operating pressure went down to 250 psi and I was shooting 285fps, consistantly.

02-01-2007, 04:09 PM
oo i see.. ok thanks ill take a look at those you mentioned

02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
ok i dont know if its just me but i cant seem to find the 32 degrees or bob long VA anywhere? maybe its just me..