PDA

View Full Version : Contractors and Builders...HELP!!!

Warnichek
01-31-2007, 05:42 AM
My house was not built on a slab nor there were no footers poured for the blocks. My house has been sinking for 8 years now. I had floor supports put under the house to support the middle, but now the outside wall is still sinking.

What can I do? Is it economical to dig under the outside wall and pour concrete footers or move the house or what?:confused:

bamf-hacker
01-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Not a contractor or builder, but research helical coils.

bigred76
01-31-2007, 05:52 AM
The coils wont help, Dan.

Lemme do some research... I have an idea or two, but I want to see if there are any more economical aproaches. Is this a house built on mud or clay?

bamf-hacker
01-31-2007, 05:58 AM
just said that, becasue we had a sinking issue and that was how they resolved it.

bigred76
01-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Right, but I dont trust them with the weight of a house. Idk about you, but to me a house on springs aint such a great idea...

I personally would jack up the house, pour some Quickrete pads, imbed pier blocks, put in shims so it's the right height, and remove the jacks. Idk if this would work in your particular case because I dont know your soil and what kind the existing foundation is.

Warnichek
01-31-2007, 06:25 AM
There is no foundation under the house. There is a crawlspace of about 3 foot in some places. As far as the location. It is built in a low spot in the middle of a cow pasture. When it rains I have a small creek running in front of the house. Of course I bought it when I was 22 for a steal. I put about $25,000 worth of remodeling done and then the sinking starts. The ground outside is soft about 60% of the year. It would take a lot of quickcrete to get all the way around the house too. But that is a good idea. I suggested getting concrete to put under there.

bigred76
01-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Hmmm... I'd look into a french drain for that water issue. On my end I'll ask my Carpentry instructor for some ideas. I personally haven't worked on a house like yours before.

bamf-hacker
01-31-2007, 09:33 AM
I am an ass..... (Don't sig that)

Helical Piers not coils :)

tnballer
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
first of all you need a perk test on the soil if you dont get back a good bearing compasity i wont matter what you do so spend the $250 get a perk test and hope it perks then you can spend probably about 7000 to 10000 lift the house properly and i would suggest you have a home mover do it then pending the perk test to how wide and deep you will have to dig the footers and i would use know less than 4000 psi concrete to figure concrete multiply length x width x depth divided by 27 that will give you the amount of yards of concrete so you can price it about how big is the house sqf
forgive the spelling typing to fast to check

Hoppy11
01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I am an ass..... (Don't sig that)

Saying that is like a telling a drunk person not to do something.

Anyways.. I know around my cottage there are a lot of houses built on stilts or the are floating. Idk how they are built or anything but they build like that because it is basically swamp where these house are built.

bamf-hacker
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
but I can put you in the drunk tank for the night if you were to sig it :)

carry on, nothing to see here - BACK ON TOPIC

Halucin8
01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I know you can jack the house and pour concrete footers like the guy above me a post or 2 said. outisde of that i do not htink you have an option. This isn't a mobile home or a modular is it? sitting on blocks with a crwl space. if it is then it will be easier to jack and pour your footers than a stick built one.

bigred76
01-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I checked in with my Carpentry teacher today and he said that you'd probably be best to move it entirely and have it put on a foundation somewhere where it isn't a watershed like it is now. Because of your current situation, there's not really much that you can do except move it, jack it and pour for pier blocks, or jack it up and put in the helical piles. Whatever happens, though, you need to lift the house up. It wont be cheap, and deffinately not easy, but that's the only way he (the teacher) and I can see.

A perk test is what I meant by the soil, just couldn't put a name to the thought. If your soil is **** as I'd assume for it being a watershed (most likely silt and clay or something of the like), then it would not be very wise to keep having your house in that location unless you use the piles suggested by Dan (Hacker) that go down far enough to reach some good soil. Here, that's a good 9-10 feet minimum as we have salt water incursion from our local San Francisco Bay (about 2 miles away). Otherwise... it'll keep sinking. No matter what you do.

I do not know what regulations (codes) they have there regarding this matter, so it would be best to ask a local contractor or construction firm. Normally they'll be nice enough to let you have information about what your opportunities are to fix this issue, or you could search online for codes regarding foundations in your district so you can see how modern-day builders around you side-step this issue.

Other than that... I don't know what else to say. I'd have to take a look first-hand to really give you a deffinate answer as to whether to move the entire house or just boost it up. Good luck, Warnichek!

Warnichek
02-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Thanks guys for the input.