PDA

View Full Version : chipped carbon o_O

Nenkitsune
01-30-2007, 10:02 AM
well, after my sister rampaged my room to force me to bring her to a friends house, i found...that my dye throttle tank's carbon chipped! it's on the very very edge where the regulator screws in, where you can see the aluminum. the chip is almost the size of my pinky nail (maybe a cm^2) i know this area isn't under any actual pressure, since it's where the threading is...but ummmwill my tank still pass hydro when it comes around? or can it still be filled? (if not then i WILL make my sister buy a new one, even if she doesn't have money)

TheRedBarron
01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Pics?

Nenkitsune
01-30-2007, 10:26 AM
i'll try to find a camera. if not, i'll do a crappy photoshop to a picture

edit: got a couple pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/DSC02499.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/DSC02500.jpg

is it terminal?

vwjimmy
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
It is terminal....send your tank to me right now so you don't suffer anymore!
No, really it is probably OK as long at it doesn't continue into the tank surface. You might consider something to seal it like nail polish, touch up paint or even some tape to cover it to prevent it from getting worse.
As for hydro, I think if it stays as it is now, it will pass hydro, but that is a judgement only the testor can make....
You could ask Geoff at www.hydrolab.com to look at those pics for his opinion.......he runs a first class hydro testing lab and specializes in paintball cylinders....

TheRedBarron
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
It looks like just the black paint chipped...

Cant tell from the pic so... can you see the threads?

Nenkitsune
01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
no, you can't see any threads. i can see the aluminum surface under the carbon. i'm guessing that it's the absolute thinnest part of the coat, and since the way they're made, the edge is exposed, it flaked.....i'll send pics to geoff. the thickness of the chipped area is prob like 1mm thick, maybe 2mm
(btw jimmy, it's hydrotester.com XP i've had them in my bookmarks)

edit: new picture with more detail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/DSC02503.jpg

oh, and i finally realized why it has 2 burst disks, one is a 5k disk, the other is an 1800 disk lol

i just noticed by looking at the picture, but there's a faint line where the flash is. when i feel it on my tank, it's a deffinet raise. does that mean that the line is wehre the carbon starts, and i only hurt it's lacquer coating?

TheRedBarron
01-31-2007, 09:29 AM
that will be fine. I would make your sister buy you a new one anyway lol. but yeah, you just chipped the paint, the actual carbon doesnt go up that high. Dye puts a toughcoat paint over their tanks and to me it looks like you just chipped that.

Nenkitsune
01-31-2007, 09:43 AM
yeah, geoff over at hydrotester.com said they can fix it for 5 bucks, then whatever for hydro. i did get lucky though, about a cm more and i would've hit the fiber