PDA

View Full Version : seeking personal opinions

old_dog
01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Hello once again

well as liuck would have it, after purchasing a refurbed Imagine last weekend my neighbor has 2 guns for sale arrrrggggg!
BTW my son loves the Imagine, and as proof it's a great gun he shot up his allowance for the next 3 weeks, he and his buddy didn't stop playing for 2 days, not one chop and no malfunctions. LOL

SO I'm seeking personal opinions for the 2 guns that are for sale
He has a fenix and pilot and both were purchased last year.

I won't be able to actually see and shoot them untill this weekend, so I did some research online.
From what I've read the pilot is a top cocker and the fenix is a side cocker, is this correct? Which type is better? or does it really make any difference?

thanx again
OD

tater_salad
01-30-2007, 07:53 AM
From what I've read the pilot is a top cocker and the fenix is a side cocker, is this correct?

No they are both top cocking.

I think they are very very similar guns but not sure I have never had any experience with a Fenix.

samus129
01-30-2007, 07:58 AM
fenix would be better if you are going low presser because it has a gauge and regulator.

vwjimmy
01-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Both the 05 Pilot and Fenix are top cocking. The bolts are slightly different but operate the same. The biggest advantage to these two markers over the Imagine is that they both should have the ACS bolt. ACS stands for 'Anti Chop System'. Actually a very effective bolt, it prevents chopping of paintballs by the bolt by 'giving way' when it contacts a ball not fully chambered rather then pushing through it and 'chopping' it....
In 05, I belive not only did both markers come with ACS, but they came with ACS bolts made of Delrin. This plastic like compound all but elimates wear to the bore or the marker and requires no lubrication! All in all a great bolt.
Also, they both should have a trigger frame that is more advanced than your refurb Imagine. The were made with the CAMD II circuit board and the 'Sweetspot' like flat trigger. The board has alot more features than it's IPI predisessor (What the Imagine likely has) and most of them were capable of 20bps in semi mode! All in all, if they are both '05' markers, they should be pretty nice as an upgrade to the Imagine.
When you get a hold of them, post up and tell us what exactally you are seeing so we can let you know.
~Jim

timmyshoota
01-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Are you looking to get your son another gun or a better gun?

If you are looking for another gun for him, either one will be fine, just get him the one he likes the looks of better. Most all Spyders are the same, just differences in milling and minor things.

If you want to get him a better gun, don't get either. Either one of those isn't gonna be much of an improvement over his Imagine, and if he likes the Imagine, let him stick with it. If you want to get him a better gun, IMO, you are looking at either getting him one of the VS series, or you are gonna be looking outside of Spyders, into say an Ion or a PMR or something of that type. Give me a little more info and I can help you narrow it down.

samus129
01-30-2007, 08:04 AM
even if the board can do 20 bps you cant pull the trigger that fast and they dont have a rampalbe board. you will still shoot at the same speed with any spyder that isnt capt at 14 bps

old_dog
01-30-2007, 08:12 AM
thanx guys I just found pics of these 2 guns. both ARE top cockers, my mistake.

After watching my son play all weekend, Dad wants one too hehehehehe.

OD

Sandman_Bravo
01-30-2007, 08:12 AM
I own a pilot and it's a great marker. I have to say that since he's just started, let him stick with what he's got for at least a little while and work on his skills first. I'd agree with timmyshooter that a better or next level gun wouldn't be either of those. Save your money for field fees and go shoot some balls!

old_dog
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
yes I will post a pic when they are in my hands. Like I said my son has his Imagine and he loves it, so one of these is for me.

I totally agree, aquiring the skills to shoot better is the only way
Without skill a better gun is useless.

OD

Sandman_Bravo
01-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Then you'll be bitten by the paintball bug and get the fever next.

Oscum Guy
01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
the fenix has a reg so its better. also a clamping feedneck.

old_dog
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
thanx
After speaking with my neighbor I can purchase both guns plus some extra parts (not sure what parts) for a very reasonable price.
So that's what I'm going to do.

One of the things I don't like about the fenix (cosmetic) is the forward angle of the foregrip. Is it possible to change that part of the gun?

OD

Sandman_Bravo
01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Many people change their guns to the forward angle, I did. Try it, you might like it. If not, change the VA (vertical adapter).

old_dog
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Ya I see that a lot of guns have that look (angle) I personally don't like it.
I was on otters pages for the last little while and I noticed that he says, a lapco VA with gauge port can be used. So I guess that answers my question.

Is there a reason why people change to the forward angle?

OD

Darkh2o
01-31-2007, 03:35 AM
...Is there a reason why people change to the forward angle?

If you hold the Fenix up to your shoulder in shooting position, the angle is a more "natural" position for your hand, less strain on your wrist.

If you hold the Pilot, the straight VA causes your hand to tilt forward, putting more strain on your wrist.

If this doesn't make sense, try this. Take your hand and make a fist with fingers up. Is your wrist straight or kinked to the side? If it is straight, your wrist is more relaxed. This is what holding the Fenix would be. Now tilt or kink your wrist inward toward your body. That puts more strain on your wrist. This would be holding the Pilot.

All in all, it comes down to what is more comfortable to you. Some people prefer one over the other and some don't really care. Since you are getting both guns, try them both out. You might be surprised which one you like.

Hope this helps.:)

turbo chicken
01-31-2007, 05:49 AM
besides obvious cosmetic differences on only other major thing i can think of is that ... the fenix comes with a reg... and imagine doesn't ...