PDA

View Full Version : deciding new MR3 or MR2..

zisiang
01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi, my name is zisiang. I'm from Malaysia. Most of my friends in the paintball field are currently more into speedball type. I love the recball /woods type more!

I've tried my friend's tippman custom pro, it feels really not bad..

However, I am seriously going to buy a new MR. Can anyone recommend some suggestion to help making the decision? (I read a lot of post mentioning about the effectiveness and the less chop of the "eye, and the burst used to have in mr2).

Thanks in advanced.

zisiang :)

ooglieboogliebob
01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
The mr2 is cost efficient and looks nice. Performs just the same, but just doesn't have the eyes. I'v heard too many incidents of people having chops with them, so your taking a gamble.

The mr3 is a little more expensive. I don't really like the looks as much. The wire stock doesn't look that great, but nevertheless it has eyes. If you were going for a gun out of these two, i'd probably recommend this one.

zisiang
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks ooglieboogliebob, your suggestion is really straight to the point :)

DRAGON
01-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the boards zisiang. You could always get an MR2 and install a new board and eyes yourself as well. Chances are it will perform better with an aftermarket board as compared to stock -

zisiang
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I read some post about having risk when getting the new MR2 product.. like some slight defective product from the box or somekind (eg detent, and incompatible with certain paint pallete somesort etc..).

Is the risk high possible getting a new defective MR2? (I guess this might not be a wise question somehow :) ...)

zisiang

rob quon
01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
zi, welcome aboard. i think that both are great markers. i have a 3 and my bro has a 2. both are going to require a force fed hopper. i have a q loader and my brother has a vl revolution. the q loader has no issues keeping up with the speed of the marker, but the revloution is crap. the blow back/by is beaking paint like crazy. without a force fed hopper, the blow back is shooting paint back into the hopper and breaking. not cool.

i like the 3's performance thus far. it feels solid and is accurate with the 10" stock barrel. the 2 has a 12" barrel. it is heavy, in comparison to other markers, but never leaves you feeling like you have to wear kids' gloves. i like the adj stock, but having it on does not allow you to aim very well. the stock on the mr2 will not allow you to aim either, but at least the 3's stock will give you extra stability when firing.

both are effortless to strip in the field, and have minimal parts to lose when striping it down.

my real concern with both of the markers are the cheap plastic grips. there are gaps between the grips and the frame of handle which can allow paint, dirt and moisture to get to the boards. to resolve this problem, i have cut thin pieces of weather striping to "fill" the gaps. sounds cheesy, but so far it is working. some guy on the boards is manufacturing grips for the mr's. looks pretty nice too.

read a post by zincusa on his first date with his mr2. really informative and bill is a pretty knowledgeable person. he has helped me out on an occasion or two.

good luck in choosing your marker. i would definitely spend the extra money on the 3 if you can afford it. the mr 1 and 2's are showing up more and more at the local field that i play at. get a 3, you'll love it.

zisiang
01-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the helpful inputs! Mmm... if the MRs are very easily to be stripped down, it sounds like it's going to be very useful when going to places and fields.. I wonder if the 10" barrel of MR3 is too short? (just a question in the mind..) :)

zisiang

zisiang
02-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Today there is a main paintball tournament event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The paintball looks like its more than just a sport, but a serious lifestyle. Cool babes are teaming up with some serious players forming a nice paintball environment and some sportmenships.

However, the paintball is still new in our location. The numbers of people into the game is not great enough (Perhaps it is a costly, and considered quite a new game in town for history not more than 4-5 years commercially).

I prefer the woodsball over the speedball. Duing the speedball tournament this morning, I saw various brands of markers, do you think the MR3 with stock could be good in speedball tournament as well sometimes?

I just placed an order of MR3, waiting for Fed-ex shipment. Meanwhile checking out local shops for suitable hopper, wondering if the same brand Fasta 18v fits good on it..

Hey, thanks to everyone who helped and contributed in the discussion of making the MR2 or MR3 decision :)

zisiang

Maxx-Damage
02-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Ive speedballed with my MR2 witht he stock on it, kinda felt weird. Playing with the MR3 in speedball might take soem time to get use to it.

Sandman_Bravo
02-05-2007, 02:56 AM
2 equal players on a airball/speedball field; one with a speedball marker and one with a mil-sim marker (with a stock). The one with the speedball marker will have an advantage since he can tuck in tighter (exposing less of himself) and depending on the gun, be able to lay down more paint.
If you like woodsball more and have people to play with, then get a mil-sim gun. You can always take the stock off and play speedball. I know here in the states there can be a division between woodsballers and speedballers; where you might encounter some people laughing at you for showing up with a mil-sim marker. Conversely, I heard people at scenarios saying "look at that newb with the bright red jersey!" People can be pretty divided at times. I myself went the other way. I am a woodsballer and rarely play speedball. I bought a Shocker(speedball gun), put on camo film, upgraded some parts, and play in the woods. I did the same thing with a Pilot. If you are interested there are some pics of them.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/Sandman_Bravo/CIMG0047.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/Sandman_Bravo/CIMG0044.jpg
Good luck.

Border411
03-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Where did you get that camo film from? I so need that on my gun!

VS3 Sniper
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
My bro has an mr2 and he has never had any chop problems but he has a force feed hopper and a hpa tank. If u have a good hopper and a hpa tank I would go with the mr2. good luck

zisiang
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi All, I've just received the mr3 and the Fasta 18v yesterday from the supplier right on the field. I quickly tested it after some chrono, on the field it works really really good! No specific words to compliment it..

I wonder if I should upgrade the barrel.. Anyone of you are using upgraded barrel on mr3?

zisiang

Scipio
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I have not had my MR3 long. I've only used it at one big game since I received it. I tried it with a BT Apex and the stock barrel. They both worked pretty well.

I plan to use the BT Apex on large wooded fields and change to the stock barrel in villages and other close quarters fields. I like the compact nature of the MR3 with the stock barrel.

zisiang
03-26-2007, 02:40 AM
I wonder if the J&J12" or J&J14" would make huge different comparing to the stock 10" barrel :)

DRAGON
03-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Yes, both are a great choice. I use 14" ceramics on all my Spyder's -

FUGAS
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Zisiang
We have 5 Mr3 in our team (woodsball team) and few in others teams. Common opinion is that longer than 14" is just for sniper and doesn't make a difference.
But 14" is more accurate than 10" and it is also significant difference in noise. Of course if You take care about it. I wouldn't buy 12" the difference is not significant.
I play with 14" and would say that for woodball and scenario it is quite good, for spedball and buildings stock barrel is enough.

We have J&J ceramic barrel.

zisiang
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
14" seems like a great choice :) Anyhow is the difference comparing the 12" and 14" not very big..?

I apologize for some of my questions, as I am rather new to paintball only having experience on it for about half a year. As MR3 having 10" stock barrel; I have some friends using 8" on their markers (other brand-model), for comparing 8" and 10", the performance is somehow "quite the same"?

zisiang

Hob Hayward
03-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Yeah they're about the same, just user preference in length, no performance one.

Length of barrel is not what counts for accuracy, quality of the interior is what counts.

DARK_KIDO
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Well I say go for the MR-2. MR-3 is $70 more expensive, but has eyes. The thing I like about MRs is they can be speedball and woodsball markers. Just remove the stock and sight rail and walla! Speedballed MR. Anyway, if you feel you need the eyes get the MR-3 if your fine without them get the MR-2.

etrain
07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I have the MR2 and it is the best gun i have ever used i havent chopped one ball with it. The MR3 to tell you the truth is pretty much exactly the same as the mr2 just with eyes adn in the Mr2 you have the anti chop bolt and with the mr3 its the exact same trigger system, the mr3 has a huge shroud over the barrel which i dont think you can take off so upgrading barrels will be pretty challenging and plus the MR2 looks a whole lot nicer