PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Circuit Board Fried ?????

zookman
01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Just purchased a nearly new MR1 and MR2 about two weeks ago. Last week, shot the MR2 for about 6 hours with no problems at all. The MR1 gave up the ghost after about 2.5 hours. Had to replace the valve body o-rings and the o-rings on the end cap. Seems to have fixed the problem.

My current problem is with the MR2ís circuit board I think. Checked the gun out last night to make sure the battery was working and verified operation on all the modes. Wanted to get a full charge on it for my outing today, so I plugged it in about 9PM. Charged it till 7AM this morning. I packed the charger and gun in my bag and headed out to the field. Got everything set up and was ready to chrono the gun, so I switched to semi-auto. LED didn't light up. Checked on all the other settings and same thing. Plugged the charger in and still no lights. I knew it was going to be a bad day from there on. Checked the battery and it had a solid charge on it. When I got home, I checked out everything and I think my board might be toast. As this was a nearly new gun, I'm kind of upset, but want to make sure I am correct before I give Kingman a ring.

Battery is a Java 9.6V and has an 11.56V charge on it. Is it normal for the battery to be charged to this level?

The charger is a JE1025, 120V/60HZ/3Q/11.2VDC/40mA. It is only putting out 8.67V. Does the voltage fluctuate when it is connected to the battery (based on charge in the battery)?

Serial number on the MR2 is 02012698. Any idea when this gun was manufactured?

Checked the solenoid and it is working if I put voltage to it. Checked the trigger and it shows continuity when the trigger is pulled. The capacitor appears to be intact (no bulges). Looked the board over and doesn't look like anything is burned up, except maybe the LED light. Looks kinda cloudy.

FYI, the gun has been kept clean and dry. As I said, it was working last night. Any suggestions on anything else I should look at or am I pretty much looking at a new board? Has anyone else experienced this same type of failure and what was Kingman's response. Thanks for any guidance.

pbgrandpa
01-29-2007, 04:49 AM
This is a new one. Have not heard of anyone having this problem. You may want to check the battery harness to the board and make sure a pin hasn't come loose. That's about the only thing I can think of. Since you have a volt meter check to see if you have power thru the harness also. Hope this helps.

zookman
01-29-2007, 04:56 AM
When I check it last night, I connected the charger and verified power at the board. Also checked the battery harness and verified it was OK. I don't think I checked for voltage on the board at the battery connection point, but didn't want to do to much prodding on the board for fear of frying anything. Maybe I will see if I can locate the pin connections on the underside of the board for the battery connection.

I'm still leaning towards a failed board component, as I have no LED and know that I have power.

Anyone have any schematics for the wiring of the board?

pbgrandpa
01-29-2007, 05:07 AM
When I check it last night, I connected the charger and verified power at the board. Also checked the battery harness and verified it was OK. I don't think I checked for voltage on the board at the battery connection point, but didn't want to do to much prodding on the board for fear of frying anything. Maybe I will see if I can locate the pin connections on the underside of the board for the battery connection.

I'm still leaning towards a failed board component, as I have no LED and know that I have power.

Anyone have any schematics for the wiring of the board?Gee I forgot to welcome you the the forums....Wecome. At this point I believe you should give Kingman a call and explain the problem to them, hopefully they can guide you in the right direction. I don't know if they will replace the board for you but it's a free call and you can never tell they just might replace it.

zookman
01-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome and glad to be a member. Wanted to let you know that I called Kingman today and spoke to the Tech Services group. They advised that I could send in my board and they would see if it was salvagable and if not, would send a replacement. Awesome!!! Should have it back to me within about 2 or 3 days after they recieve it. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and see what happens. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

pbgrandpa
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Great news!!!! Keep us informed. Hope your up and playing again soon :)

ViperX
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Interesting problem, I experience something not so similar but along the same lines while charging my marker before an event, my friend and I were packing gear and he picked up my MR2 and was like what is this white smoke coming from out of the grips??? My thoughts...WTF! Opened the grips and couldn't see anything immediately wrong with any of the components, but seeing how it started while charging I took a closer look and traced back from the battery/charger connections and found the main diode that prevents reverse voltages had a hole in it about the size of a needle prick(not very big). I'm an electronics tech and have done SMT(surface mount technology) building and rework so I was able to spot the faulty component and luckily had a suitable replacement for that diode(square black box like component near the battery leads connect to the board. Fortunately that diode isn't critical to the boards operation and I actually played with it at a 24hr scenario in that condition and repaired it when we got back. But still there is something wrong here and I've heard of other MR2 owners experienceing the same problem.

I hope kingman treats you right and gives you a new board versus a reworked board, I would inquire(and demand) about an extension on your warranty or at least coverage for the replacement board for the actual length of a new marker's warranty. Some components that might not have failed might have been compromised or degraded and may fail later on.

Good luck and please let us now what kingman said the failure was, I'd be interested to hear what they say was the faulty component.

Spitfire
01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey i had the same prob with my MR2 well actually i never even got to fire it... turns out i just had a bad curcuit board. all i did was plug it in to get charged and 5 minutes later it didnt work. took kingman only lk 3 days to get it and send it back and thats cuz it was lk a wk before x-mas. so no worries mate...

zookman
02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, I sent my board off to Kingman last Friday and got a call at home yesterday. The guy from Kingman talked to my wife and said that they were sending me a replacement board. The tech looked at the board and said it was fried. Unfortunately, I did not talk to him, so I don't have specifics on what the actual fried component was. If I do, I will let everyone know. It will be interesting to see how this unit holds up now.

zincUSA
02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Thats good to here that they are taking care of you. Keep us posted.

Redheadfred
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Same prob here , had mine sold and went to cut it on to shoot it and it was dead . Batt was fully charged and you could smell that the board was done .

zookman
02-17-2007, 05:11 PM
New board arrived yesterday. It was replaced under warranty (the part is normally $89.95). Never found out exactly what was wrong with it except that it was in fact fried. Installed the new board this afternoon and no problems. Great job supporting your product Kingsman!!! Thanks!

pbgrandpa
02-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Man that is great news.....Back in action again