PDA

View Full Version : The paintball gods aren't smiling on me!

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Been awhile since I wrote a story, so here ya go! tl;dr? Go away! Use your schooling for crying out loud!

Well, as you all know, I've been a bit excited that I decided to pick up playing the game again. I even went and bought a new gun and have been upgrading it. Most of my excitement was that almost all the guys on this team I was asked to play for were older, more experienced guys who just wanted to have fun and play a good tournament here and there.

Most of the mods know I put a lot of thought into deciding to get back in, and as most of you know, once I make up my mind, I go all out. So when I decided to get back in, I started paying more attention to the game, reading mags again, researching guns and whatnot....

Everything was going great UNTIL the guy that was setting this whole thing up, my friend and ex co-captain of Catalyst had some tragedy enter his life recently. I'm not going into it, but it's pretty serious, enough that after 20+ years of balling, he's getting out for the next year or so, even going so far as to sell his pride and joy EGO.

Unfortunately, I haven't even MET the other guys on the team yet; that was going to happen today at the Indoor place in OKC, but because of the personal things going on with my friend and the weather, the practice has been called off. Now, the snake guy apparantly is trying out for another team, the other two are doing other things, and I'm left in the cold, pardon the pun.

To make matters worse, my friend and I are the only guys that played/s around this area that are close to my age and no one within 15-20 years has the tournament experience we have. We wouldn't even get to play most rec players at most fields! Personally, I won't play younger kids (like 10-13 yrs, mainly due to my job, age and tournament experience. It's just a moral thing for me...) I will actually play 14 and older IF they've played before and are big talkers, which they usually are - then it's a pride issue. However, these guys around here are mainly into football and basketball and paintball rarely enters their minds once they get their licenses.

Add to that, I've had a sneaking suspicion for more than a year that the local field owner is trying desperately to find a way to close the field down. He never really was into paintball, and only took over when his partner left town for another job. He just keeps it open for the rec players (kids) and over the past year, my friend actually worked every other weekend out there. Had it not been for that, I think we'd have lost the field sooner. I mean, the guy actually "accidently" burned his entire air field down, as well as some of his woods field! He was burning trash, left to "run an errand" and the wind swept the fire all the way across the field. Not that it was a tragedy - he left the bunkers out in the weather for over two years, and they were falling apart. We spent more time patching bunkers than actually playing!

Granted, my friend brought in a few dozen spools and cubes so now in place of the air field, there's a spool field, and the owner was talking about a new air field, but with my friend have this problem right now, I don't see that happening. Especially with me not spending much time out there so he could talk me into working. We don't actually see eye to eye anyways, so that probably wouldn't happen anyways.

Now, I figure the Paintball gods are frowning on me since I just dumped 400.00 into a gun, plus another 150.00 into upgrades into it, and I don't really want to sell it. I think I really still want to play, but don't relish the thought of going out to the field every Saturday or Sunday and waiting hopefully for someone other than 10-12 year olds to show up and play woods. It'd give me plenty of pump practice with my Phantom, but nothing else. I also don't want to start up a whole new team just to get into the BS that made me quit in the first place. Then of course, there's the two hour drive to get to the next closest field....or the 2.5 hour drive to OKC to play.

I guess this is just a long winded rant, but dang it! It sucks living in a paintball wasteland! What do I want to accomplish from this post? Well, for one, not boring my wife with it, just you guys. And two, getting it off my chest and to let you know that I may have a couple paintball guns up for sale.....:(

TheRedBarron
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
TL;DR :dodgy:

Vike the best way to avoid this drama that seems to be attracted to you.... new people, new setting, start up a team, but wait... dont play on it, train them be captain, start up a young guns team using some of your students who are interested, manage them, teach them the way of the jedi and then let enter them in some tournies, it is just as rewarding, you still get to play and be around the game, I think it is the way to go for you.

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 11:05 AM
See, I thought of that, but wasn't for sure if it was as fun as playing or just hanging around the little poopheads on the days I get away from them.

LOL! I know it sounds like drama, but it isn't as serious as it sounds. I could live without it, I just write that damn well!

That's a good idea! I might try that, if I can find enough interested in it. Actually, it's been our experience, at least around here, that once a kid on the team turns 16 and gets their license, they pretty much change for the worse when it comes to the team. They never want to practice any more, and can't seem to find the time. The younger ones would be pretty good to train up and lead.

Maybe not the way of the Jedi, but maybe the way of the Viking. We all know they ripped their technique from us anyway!

Hmmm, Viking's Raiders...has a good ring to it!

TheRedBarron
01-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I have been doing this for some time now, 13-16 it is just as fun as playing, because they actually look up to you, TRB's Ninjas pwn ass too.

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm seriously gonna give this some more thought. There are a few kids around here that like to think they're something great, maybe with some help they might be pretty decent!

shunut
01-27-2007, 11:48 AM
That sounds like a good idea. Hope that works out for you. Even if it doesn't we all know you aren't going to leave the game, you're like the Michael Jordan of paintball. Play, Retire, Play, Retire, Play, Retire.... We know you're always going to find your way back to the field one way or another.

Moe
01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Just play pump. It's what all the cool old farts do.:waytogo:

TheRedBarron
01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh, BTW, I am a paintball god and I am not smiling on you.

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Ah, you're just pissed because of the, well, the piss thing.....

:P

TheRedBarron
01-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Ah, you're just pissed because of the, well, the piss thing.....

:P
Troo...

marvin-martian
01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
matts idea sounds great, but isnt the reason you got back in the lack of responsibility? being a mentor makes you very important, and has the possibility to stress you out.

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Yup, but I think it'd be a different kind of stress. Before, it was a stress because I was actually playing - the stress of actually being on the field I think is a bit different from standing on the sideline and catching what's going on elsewhere. I'd think it's probably no more different than teaching, except maybe more fun because I'm only dealing with 7-10 of the kids instead of 60.

I don't know. A major obstacle around here isn't finding kids to play, it's finding parents who want to take it further than just running around in the trees. THAT would be more stressful than anything, I think. We'll see. I'll put some more thought into it and develop something.

El Duche
01-27-2007, 01:59 PM
you could always try and start your own field.......

Hossy
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Welcome to Maryland Paintball....

i know how it is, kinda. Ive always been serious but others arent as serious, or dont want to put the time in that i will, or do.

i know that you dont want to 'coach' but i think that TRB and the others are kinda getting you into that. Im about to manage a team, of younger guys. I really want to see them get good, and i think it would be a nice little 'ride' to see them grow as a team and such.

i know you will have a buyer fast on the PMR-- they go like hotcakes if you do get out of the sport

Theheroguy
01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
My brother and I are trying to start a team but all of our friends are being jerks and not serious always backing out of tourneys at the last second so we are just gonna look for local players at outdoors adventures paintball for teammates

Hossy
01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
sorry to hijack the thread, but about OA, theres a team having tryouts next month i believe there. I hear its supposed to be a pretty good team to.

(sorry vike)

TheRedBarron
01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Yup, but I think it'd be a different kind of stress. Before, it was a stress because I was actually playing - the stress of actually being on the field I think is a bit different from standing on the sideline and catching what's going on elsewhere. I'd think it's probably no more different than teaching, except maybe more fun because I'm only dealing with 7-10 of the kids instead of 60.

I don't know. A major obstacle around here isn't finding kids to play, it's finding parents who want to take it further than just running around in the trees. THAT would be more stressful than anything, I think. We'll see. I'll put some more thought into it and develop something.

If you need help starting things up or have any Q's LMK I can help you out, as well as with sponsorship info and I can help you build a team profile by using your personal profile, that is how I got alot of the sponsors that I got the little fellas hooked up with, I used my personal resume to help them. You know where I am at, toss me a line if you need a hand.

Theheroguy
01-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Ima have a hard time in those try outs for some reason hossy can you guess what it is...

bigred76
01-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd think it's probably no more different than teaching, except maybe more fun because I'm only dealing with 7-10 of the kids instead of 60.
Ah, yes... the joys of teaching... I personally would have to agree with everyone thus far: a Young Gunz team that has you as their coach would be kick-ass. It'd bring in some new talent to the paintball around your area, thus would spread some more knowledge about the sport, thus opening up more players into becoming better, and thus slowly turning the area into a wealth of good players. [/run-on sentence] Even if they absolutely suck from the start, if they have heart and determination, they'll do well; just need a bit of direction and some experience. Why not see if any of the better players at your school would be interested (if that's allowed)? You have a huge quantity of poissible Young Gunz there, and God knows how good they could be with formal training.

BTW... do me a favor... give that field owner a swift kick in the ass. :D

DFSniper
01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
It sucks living in a paintball wasteland!

i honestly feel for ya! it feels like its been forever since i played a decent days worth of paintball...

vikingshadow
01-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys! I think I've decided I'm going to do this. I have a couple kids in mind right now who show some promise, then I guess I'll have a try out or something to see if I can fill a roster (more like trying out the parents than the kids!) The lack of support from parents in this sport is pretty amazing to me, but I'll see what happens.

TRB, I'll keep your offer in mind when the time comes.

How's this for a name for this young guns team? "Youth Gone Wild", taken from Skid Row's song! Hit me while I was running yesterday....

DFSniper
01-28-2007, 10:07 AM
nice!