PDA

View Full Version : Chopping problems - Please help!

lucifer_sam
01-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Around early December of last year, I purchased a Spyder MR2. I played 5-10 games with it without incident, the ACS bolt not chopping a single ball. Around Christmas, I installed the Trinity AK-47 expansion chamber for the MR2 and updated the bottomline with a steel-braided hose. Everything went flawlessly for the first three games I played with it; no chops, a higher rate of balls per fill, and consistent velocity. I live in western Pennsylvania, and the weather was mild until the second week of January. I've played three games since then and approximately every other ball has been chopped.

As of now, I am currently using an Empire loader capable of 16-17 BPS, but that's enough for my style of play. I do not wish to change the air feed, mainly because I've invested about $110 into improving my CO2 capabilities. I just finished tempering the spring inside the bolt to make it more sensitive, but I wonder if I can do anything else to prevent ball breaks? I am trying to approach this with a minimalist sense; I have the money to make modifications, but I would prefer that I keep the setup that I have.

Please, help. Any ideas?

Glasher
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Did you chnage the detent ? The stock one suck alot, also where does your ball chops ?

lucifer_sam
01-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I have stock everything except the air system.

The balls chop in the chamber, up the feedneck.

Jarhead
01-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Around early December of last year, I purchased a Spyder MR2. I played 5-10 games with it without incident, the ACS bolt not chopping a single ball. Around Christmas, I installed the Trinity AK-47 expansion chamber for the MR2 and updated the bottomline with a steel-braided hose. Everything went flawlessly for the first three games I played with it; no chops, a higher rate of balls per fill, and consistent velocity. I live in western Pennsylvania, and the weather was mild until the second week of January. I've played three games since then and approximately every other ball has been chopped.

As of now, I am currently using an Empire loader capable of 16-17 BPS, but that's enough for my style of play. I do not wish to change the air feed, mainly because I've invested about $110 into improving my CO2 capabilities. I just finished tempering the spring inside the bolt to make it more sensitive, but I wonder if I can do anything else to prevent ball breaks? I am trying to approach this with a minimalist sense; I have the money to make modifications, but I would prefer that I keep the setup that I have.

Please, help. Any ideas?

I know from experience that some types of balls do not do well in colder weather. They break easily and unfortunately when they are fired. This may be your problem.

Glasher
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
It can also be a blowback prob if they break in the feedneck

MVS1
01-26-2007, 05:38 PM
What brand of paint have you been using? Might need to go to pballs specifically designed for colder weather, I can't remember the manufacture off hand but we used them for a tourny held at night and they were for cold weather use. If your interested let me know and I'll call the local shop that provided the paint and find out where they got it from.

lucifer_sam
01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
I think it may be a number of factors. I was using Nightmare field paint that I had leftover from a woodsball open, but after I dumped that I started using high-quality RPS paint and it was still chopping.

Are there any inexpensive ways to reduce the blowback? I know it's a problem.

ooglieboogliebob
01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
You need to replace the detent with a timmy detent. The balls might be loose in the chamber causing a ball to be halfway in the chamber.

After you break in the expansion chamber that should help a lot.

You might also need a stronger forcefeed hopper (halo B, Reloader B, Vlocity, Pulse). It will help withstand the blowback.

You could also just get another bolt with o-rings or use a machinists lathe to enable you to put o-rings in your prexisting ACS bolt.

Besides that you really just need to lower the pressure, which means you need to go LP (Low Pressure).

OWNED!
01-26-2007, 09:31 PM
put in like three balls in your gun, take off your hopper, and try to cover the elbow with something to prevent the blowback. if it still chops, maybe its just low quality paintballs.

chagrinback49
01-27-2007, 08:35 AM
ive been having alot of chopping problems too. i sent my gun to kingman hope they can fix it.

headhunter06
01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
the problem is, too many guys out there replacing the OEM parts from the gun, why replace the parts if the gun is working properly.

lucifer_sam
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Is there an inexpensive way to go LP without having to get an expensive HPA system?

The Booth Man
01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Is there an inexpensive way to go LP without having to get an expensive HPA system?

Yes. You can go LP on Co2. All you need is a good regulator and the right springs. You don't really need to get anything else unless you want your operating pressure below 450 psi

The Booth Man
01-27-2007, 10:42 AM
the problem is, too many guys out there replacing the OEM parts from the gun, why replace the parts if the gun is working properly.

The problem is that not every MR2 works properly right out of the box. There are chopping problems that Kingman needs to address with this marker. Why do most people find this forum in the first place?

There's a reason why the MR2 has the more posts than most other markers.

lucifer_sam
01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Will an LP regulator interfere with the volumizer I installed?

I checked out the Bob Long Torpedo, and I'm prepared to buy it in the event that it does not interfere with the shroud.

chagrinback49
01-27-2007, 04:16 PM
yea some work just fine out of the box. others (like mine just don't). But i cant help to wonder why.

The Booth Man
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
yea some work just fine out of the box. others (like mine just don't). But i cant help to wonder why.

The bolt chamber isn't always milled for an exact fit. Normally that's not an isssue because most bolts have o-rings that seal off any excess gas. With the ACS bolt, however, the bolt may or may not seal very well to the chamber. This is especially true in colder weather.

Glasher
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I got a bob long torpedo reg but it doesn't fot under the carry handle and I want to keep it is their a way to make it fit ?

lucifer_sam
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Does it not fit in the housing or do you simply need a new macro for it?

The Booth Man
01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I got a bob long torpedo reg but it doesn't fot under the carry handle and I want to keep it is their a way to make it fit ?

Well it really depends on whether you use a remote line. If you use a remote line, then you can fit the Torpedo under the grip like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqVbHmqb64

Good luck!

Eli

DRAGON
01-28-2007, 12:47 AM
i think that a lot of the chopping probs with the mr2 has something to do with the bounce created by the new micro-switch in them. does your marker seem to shoot 2 times or more when pulling the trigger once? the bounce can be reduced by lowering the pressure and i'd suggest a palmer's female any day over the sometimes troublesome torp.

The Booth Man
01-28-2007, 01:24 AM
i think that a lot of the chopping probs with the mr2 has something to do with the bounce created by the new micro-switch in them.

I think that that is a big part of the paint chopping puzzle, the other is blowback. The solution for both, I believe, is to reduce the pressure down to below 600 psi.

Once I lowered the pressure, blowback became more manageable and trigger bounce all but vanished.

...suggest a palmer's female any day over the sometimes troublesome torp

I agree with ya there. But for those who are not willing or don't have the means to buy the stabilizer, the Torpedo still works ok.

The Booth Man
01-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Will an LP regulator interfere with the volumizer I installed?

I checked out the Bob Long Torpedo, and I'm prepared to buy it in the event that it does not interfere with the shroud.

Yes it will interfere with the shroud. I tried with mine but found that it is about 1/8 of an inch too wide. Unless you want to do some serious sanding, I wouldn't even try putting it there.

Redheadfred
01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Its ashame when you buy a $200 gun and by the time you get it to shoot decent you have 4-$500 in it . Im in NC , everyone I know here has had probs with these guns . Ive done everything to mine but switch to low pressure . By the time I go through all that I could have bought a pimped out A-5 or a Proto Matrix new .

Glasher
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Timmy detent 3$(I got 20 for 3$)
Force Feed Hopper(Hablo B, Reloader B) 130$(can be less if you know where to look)
Alamo City Bolt with o-rings 18$
Remote Line 20$
Bob Long Torpedo 30$

Thats the most common suggested solutions

lucifer_sam
02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I have a remote line, my grandfather has a lathe that I can use to put o-rings on my bolt, detents are cheap and i can get the torpedo, but is there any way i can avoid forking over $130 for a halo b/reloader b? I understand they're the best; with a victory board, the halo can easily outclass even a pulse loader, but it's just a little over what i'm willing to spend...

Glasher
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Obv, I was in the same situation go around paintball forums(special ops, PB Review) I found ym Reloader B for 60$ on PBreview.