PDA

View Full Version : ?s about paint

fxdbi
01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Okay, I was reading some stuff on here and a question popped in my head about paint and temperatures. Last time we went out, we used eliminator paint as the field paint. It was okay, but it had dents and lost accuracy after about 25-30 feet.

My question is this: Does extreme temperature changes affect the paint in terms of cuasing dimples, swelling and such? I ask because they came out of the club house noticebly warm, and it was maybe 23-25 degrees outside. Could loading them in a hopper and that intense warm to cold transistion in a short amount of time cuase dimples, or cause them to swell, or would it affect them in that way at all?

spyderpaintball
01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Generally speaking when paintballs experience high tempatures swelling occurs and the paint becomes softer. Cold on the other hand will cause the shells to become brittle. Dimples however usually caused during manufacturing or storage of paint and not tempature fluctuations.

timbertiger20
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Dimples are cause by cold too! I have had that issue on many occasions. Best bet is to take an empty cooler and keep them warm inside. Also here we have played down to 2 deg. F. this year. Don't keep any more paint in your pods then you need in one game! At tournies/scenarios we take all of our teams paint and climatize it. We also adjust ball size by adding or removing moisture from the paint to get what we think is the best results. Has worked wonders for us many times, especially when the paint is very bad!

wbpaintball
01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
How do you store left over paintballs? It is best to store them in a dry environment with a very minimal temperature change. About 60-70 degrees is best. Kind of like in a basement. The humidity can be between 40-50%. Also seal the paintball inside of a plastic bag, either with a twisty tie or a zip lock. Never freeze paintballs. It will not preserve them any longer. Actually, it may make the shell weaker. High temperature and humidity will cause them to swell. And lower temperatures will make the paintballs more brittle. It doesnt take long for the environment to effect paintballs. In extreme temperatures change the paintballs from your hopper and pods between every game. If you see paintballs with dimples or are really malformed, it would be best to throw them out. This is usually caused by improper storage of old paintballs. Before you ever play paintball always stock up on new paint!!