PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting XP and Vista...?

ricochet08
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
well...I just got my copy of Vista today from school, and wanna install it on my main computer. (well, it's really my mom's...:P)

I tried to set things up for a dual boot, but things just didn't seem to go that way.

I was thinking about reformatting and partitioning the hard drive with multiple partitions and put XP on one and Vista on the other, but i got a feeling that all of the files on the hard drive now will be deleted.

This is the only PC we have that is close to being Vista compatible. That's y i want it set as a dual boot so i can check Vista out without worrying about my mom's information getting wiped out.

So...should i just run the installation from XP?
or should i boot the computer from the CD-ROM?

calebh
01-24-2007, 04:25 PM
honestly, it wouldnt surprise me if microsoft made it impossible to do that without third party software... i know most distros of linux can dual boot with windows, but that's linux's software, not microsoft's

08Lud08
01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
If you reformat the drive you will erase it.

Drefish99
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Put XP on first and then put Vista on when you have XP up and running and stable. You would need to have partitions for each OS. and a third partition for data.

Halucin8
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
partition magic is a third party software that will allow you to take the free space on the hard drive and partition it into another logical drive and letting you install another operating system. the question that remains is will vista support a dual boot system like windows 2000 and xp? i do not know that answer but if i had to guess it would be availble in the home premium and above and not available in the hame basic since it is almost completely stripped of most things extra

leed
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but I'm curious. I found one program that allows you to move unused space from one partition, and move it to allocated space. Then move that allocated space to another partition to add space. However, the only thing to it is, you don't have to wipe the harddrive and reformat it for it. Problem is, you have to pay around 50 bucks for the program.

Are there any other programs that let you move useable space around from partition to partition without having to wipe the drive and start over? My main system partition is beginning to run out of space (I set it to around 9 GB) and want to take some space from my second partition and give it to that (Second partition is 50 some GB).

Or if there is an easier way to solve this problem?

Halucin8
01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
can you justmove files from one side to the other and use the second partion for storage and only use the mian partition for programs. if not I do not know of any free and reliable software that will allow you to do what you want. anytime you mess with a hard drives partitions you run a risk of losing your data. witht he better progrmas out there that risk is lessened. I guess once again it comes down to you get what you pay for.

durrell
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
If I could suggest something..don't dual boot Windows XP and Vista. When you dual boot them, Windows XP writes its boot sector to the Vista partition, and Vista writes its boot sector to the XP partition. So if you were to decide you wanted to uninstall either one, you're going to lose both operating systems and have to reformat pretty much. Trust me, it happened to me. Dre's idea seems the best if you absolutely have to do it, but the best way would be to use a secondary hard drive for Vista. There are boot programs to use, like GRUB, but they're hard to setup and implement. If you're going to do it use Norton's Partition Magic to make your partitions.

Good luck.

Hob Hayward
01-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I've had win98 and Winxp dual booted before without any problems, not sure how my dad did that one, but since then I've been using grub to manage my linux/windows installs on both my computers.

Halucin8
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
install win 98 then install windows xp it will ask you if you want to dual boot. you can also use system commander i belive to do what durrell said with 2 hard drives

Drefish99
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Vista is a different animal than XP and esp Win98. Dual booting both won't be too good. They won't play nice. I was there when D was dual booting and recommended to him to choose one or the other.

ricochet08
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
wow.........ummmm.....don't know why i didn't think of Partition magic.
think im gonna take Durell's advice 1st with the secondary hard drive.

while ur still reading...who has a PC that's ready for Vista Ultimate? :D

o yea, thx guys :)

Halucin8
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
my puter passes all the upgrade stuff from microcrap i mean soft. but i will not run it on this thing until it has atleast sp 6 out lol i mean it is out for awhile

durrell
01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I ran Vista Ultimate on my PC with no problems.

3.06ghz P4 HT
1 gig RAM
80GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 video card

And that was dual booting. My Vista partition was only like 25 megs though, so that effed me over in the end.

calebh
01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
lol 25 megs? that's possible? i saw an article about some guys having xp boot up with some crazy crap specs. it took like 30 minutes lol. like 2 mb ram, and an old 486 processor. i guess you could probly do the same with vista, assuming your 486 is "authentic" :dodgy: