PDA

View Full Version : how come my computer sucks? help me.

08Lud08
01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
My brother said he was using the computer and then all of a sudden it just turned off and it wont turn on. I checked the power cord, the power outlet and the surge strip. I checked that stuff its not any of that because other stuff connects to it and that works. I took the power supply out of the computer and looked at it and it looked ok. all the wires are connected and it looks good but theres a small spot on the board that looks darker than the rest. the board is brown and theres a spot that looks a little bit darker than the rest. could that be that the board burned out? Also can you tell me a power supply to buy for it.

vwjimmy
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
What kind of computer is it?

badlandsrox
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
What kind of computer is it?

A Broken One :dodgy:

:p

08Lud08
01-23-2007, 05:26 PM
lol. Its a Emachines Emonster 500a. Its pretty old but it still worked perfect. Also when it said it is now safe to turn off the computer, if you pressed the button it would turn the computer would turn on/off really fast until you unplugged it so I had to turn it off by the surge strip it was plugged into. could that have burned or worn out the power supply.

Total90Oliver
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Get the Power supply I have Lud, I will tell you the brand, its good.

DFSniper
01-24-2007, 08:30 AM
umm, either you burned your motherboard, or your power supply. happened to my emachines

*EM1-Master*
01-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Will fans spin up at all when you push power button? If not, most likely a PSU problem... Easy fix. New power supply...

08Lud08
01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
yeah the fans don't spin and I hear no sounds when I push the button so I guessed right about the power supply. I think it burned out and that was the spot but Ive never seen a burn chip so I wouldn't have known. do you guys have a recommendation of a power supply? I don't want to take the old one to the stores and have them pick out the most expensive one and tell me thats the one I need. Also thanks so far with the help.

Halucin8
01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
i know dell had a class action law suit over power supplies. they rewired them to work only in thier machines but didnt' change the plug end. so when people upgraded to a new bigger/better power supply they burned out their motherboards. so be careful and maybe call emachines or send them an email asking for reccomendations for an upgraded power supply in case they do or did somethign similar. next how many disk drives do you have running and how many hard drives are you running that will make a difference in how big you go. if the computer is completely stock then 300 watt power supply should be big enough. if you have upgraded your video card and the card needs to be plugged in to the power supply then you may need a 350 or bigger check the card manufacturer's web site for their reccomendations. good luck

Hob Hayward
01-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Eh, my advice in the future: don't buy emachines. Though I guess I can't really just say build yourself a new computer, I'll say this, have you made sure no capacitors are blown out? I have an older epox nforce 2 mobo in my main computer and sadly, most of the caps are dieing on me, leaking and stuff. Luckily it only causes the USB to be kindof iffy ( I presume they're primarily for USB power regulation) however if a vital one had blown ( they do go, especially if the computer is an older one) that could be the problem.

DFSniper
01-25-2007, 08:29 AM
go to newegg.com and look for the Demon Black Chrome, its 580W and i think around $40

08Lud08
01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Eh, my advice in the future: don't buy emachines. Though I guess I can't really just say build yourself a new computer, I'll say this, have you made sure no capacitors are blown out? I have an older epox nforce 2 mobo in my main computer and sadly, most of the caps are dieing on me, leaking and stuff. Luckily it only causes the USB to be kindof iffy ( I presume they're primarily for USB power regulation) however if a vital one had blown ( they do go, especially if the computer is an older one) that could be the problem.well I need a new computer period. My dad got the computer in 95 and it cost $1000, back then this was the newest and best one. I don't like emachines anyway because they suck, if I get a new computer, which I wont any time soon then I would get a dell or compaq.

go to newegg.com and look for the Demon Black Chrome, its 580W and i think around $40
If your talking about this im not getting it because of the reviews.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163018

one more question, is more watts good even if all the stuff I have doesnt even add up that high, would it make it last longer. I'm gonna try to get a new power supply tonight and see if it works.
thanks for the help.

Halucin8
01-25-2007, 03:33 PM
the more power it has the less strain you will put on it. if you can bench press 300 pounds 100 seems light. now if you bench press 120 pounds then 100 is heavy. same thing applies with power and electrical equipment
edit- you caps are blowing because you bought an epox hob sorry wouldnt' use one of those if it was given to me.

xsgmike66x
01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I myself am convinced that all computers are a POS and are destined to fail...

08Lud08
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
well the power supply is a special size and only comes in 150 watts so im getting a new case and regular power supply.

08Lud08
02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
well I got the new case and power supply and it works perfect except I need some help. I need a pic of how to wire the power button on the front and also the the usb ports on the front. If I can get a pic of were and how it gets plugged into a mother board that would be great.

also I was using the computer for 15 minutes the first time it shut off but I turned it on again and its been on for an hour so I think its fine, do you think thats bad?

yod3r
02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
that happend to me and it was my motherboard that messed up