PDA

View Full Version : Ion

TLXshoota
01-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Well I have been talking about upping my TLX for awhile now, I have also been looking around the forums, should I buy and Ion instead of upping my TLX? What kinds of advantages does and Ion have over a TLX, what makes them better? and if you could list a possible list of upgrades for my TLX, compared to what I would need to upgrade on an Ion.

Thanks

Muddytaco
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
An ion would be a much better choice IMO.

even after you bring your tlx down to low pressure it still won't be the same as a stock ion in terms of feel when your shooting it.

If you got an ion all you would really need is:
qev-$15
feedneck-$30

maybe:
trigger- $20-30
on/off asa- $30-35

In my eyes the ion is alot easier to maintain and easier to tune. You only have to worry about the orings on the bolt, instead of trying to figure out if the springs are off, valve not working right, striker oring, pressure just right to work with low pressure, etc.

Ion's also have almost no kick to begin with and with a new bolt there is almost none. Ion with the right upgrades can as fast as almost any gun on the market, lucky has a video of a ion shooting 31 bps. Now it will never feel like a high end gun but it will definitely feel alot better then a spyder.

If your willing to spend alittle more there is also the:
PMR
mini
fusion

nbishop66
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
I had a Pilot ACS, spent more money than I'd care to admit going LP. I finally broke down and bought an ION and sold the Pilot. I've spent less than half as much on upgrades for the ION and IN MY OPINION it's a far better marker.

I've replace the stock 36g bolt with a TechT L7 (8g) and there is NO kick when dry firing the marker. Even the stock bolt produced much less kick than my LP Pilot, and I had the DH Titanium Striker.

I disagree with Muddy on the maintenance part. I usually tear down and re-lube after every day of play and it's kind of a pain to take apart. The spyders are much easier to maintain and field strip.

STRIKEFIRST
01-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Well I have been talking about upping my TLX for awhile now, I have also been looking around the forums, should I buy and Ion instead of upping my TLX? What kinds of advantages does and Ion have over a TLX, what makes them better? and if you could list a possible list of upgrades for my TLX, compared to what I would need to upgrade on an Ion.

Thanks

Another good choice would be a VS2...feedneck is already clamping (though I would change it later) It's alread Low Pressure has eyes...easy to maintain and you can drop a T board in if you want more firing modes. Plus there are upgrades a plenty...especially barrels.

Someone can go to BST's and the sales corners and get a freak kit cheap for a spyder...or even an evil kit right now.

Then again I've seen used stock Ions going for $130 - $150.

If I were you I'd go on feel. Which marker FEELS good to you. Go to a local shop and shoot Both markers. Which trigger do you like better? Which is more comfortable in your hand? Which has better balance? Which can you hold better groups with etc.

I don't care if a marker is supposed to be the second coming of an EGO...if it doesn't fit your style of play and shooting...it's just another marker.

TheRedBarron
01-23-2007, 09:29 AM
for the record I would not buy a gun that is the second coming of the ego, as IMO it is not Godlike being that you guys make it out to be.

leed
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Iono, though the Ion is not "Godlike," it's still probably the most worthy marker for its going price. Which is why I would suggest it over most other markers in that price range, and marker-skill range. Not only that, but it is an easy marker to maintain, though maybe not as easy as the Spyder to take apart, it really doesn't need to be taken apart after each day of play, though some people are OCD and like to clean everything after every day of play (like myself). I would say it's still a good habit to get into, and know how to do it by heart, even though it is relatively straight forward.

Not only that, but the Ion is easily made a higher-grade marker, as there are more than enough upgrades out for it, and I can presume there will continue to be. And not everything is uber expensive, some things are cheaper, and can allow you to advance your marker bit by bit, though, in the long run, you will spend more, unless you are able to sell the old parts for around the same price as when they were new.

Like Muddytaco was talking about, the Ion doesn't take nearly as much effort to fine-tune to its own extent. Of course, it is limited to the parts that are on it, and the parts available, but I'd say it's much easier to fine-tune than a Spyder would.

The only reason I am saying to buy an Ion, is because for the price, it is one hell of a marker, and can not be beat as far as the price-range goes. Though the new VS series is a nice release from Kingman/Spyder, I would still say to go with the Ion, despite the fact that this is a Kingman forum. Much the same, I would say get an Ion over upgrading the TLX. There is only so much you can do to a Spyder, and it can still be costly at that.

Just my two cents.

STRIKEFIRST
01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
for the record I would not buy a gun that is the second coming of the ego, as IMO it is not Godlike being that you guys make it out to be.

For the record though I like an ego...I don't think that they're "god like"...I was just making a reference to how some people portray new markers in general.

One of my favorite markers is a shocker...and to tell everyone the truth I want to get my hands and try out a dangerous power fusion.