PDA

View Full Version : My new MR2 and how it performed this pass weekend.

zincUSA
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I just turned my old Diablo Mongoose for a new MR2 and this weekend I went to the field with for the 1st time. Here's the summary after 2 days of woodsball and 2.5 cases of paint

First, my setup: stock MR-2, HPA (3000/48), Evlution 3 w/ z board.

Friday night break in: First I stripped it down, checked bolt, detent, spring, barrel, grips (checked touch switch, wires), etc for anything that looked out of place. Everything looked good.

Next, did the "play with firing modes and watch the pretty lights change colors" thing. Cocked and fired a few times.

Then, 5-6 drops of Gold Cup oil in the ASA,, added HPA, and fired about 6 times each on all 3 fire modes. Added loader and filed with Monster paint. I started on semi and fired off 20 rounds then checked the gun. Looked good so went to 3 round bursts and pumped out another 20 or 40 rounds - no issues. Moved to full auto and got nervous. I expected a few breaks in the neck from the blowback. I set my hopped to its fastest mode and let her rip. I shot about 15 rounds before i needed to recock. I had one burst of about 40 rounds before recocking, but adverage about 15 per recock. The good news was that I had no chops. Perhaps not a conventional breakin, but it worked well for me.

A quick field strip confirmed all went well so I packed it in for the night.

Saturday I got the field early to chrony in. With the VA all the way out I could not get under 300 (1/2 turn in and I was bouncing between 303 and 310). I clipped on spring link and was in the mid 290's. Clipped a second link and chrono'd at 277, 280, 277. I left it there - no more adjustments.

As the morning went on, it took a few scenarios for me to get a feel for the gun, its distance, accuracy, balance, etc. It took more time to get use to then any other gun i've used (ion, tipps, diablos). The monring was uneventful. Lunch. At the afternoon chrono i was at 278, 275, 280. I made no adjustments and hit the field for the Vietnam scenario. I now had a feel for its distance and accuracy and immediatley made my presence known. I had good kills. After this one, two VS3 users came over and introduced themselves and asked me to tell about the MR2. They were wearing my paint. The rest of the day was similiar - good kills and more interest in the gun. I played the whole day on Semi-Auto with no chops, breaks or recocks at all, using a mix of Monster + medium field paint.

Sunday I headed back to the field. My chrono #'s were similiar to that of the day before. As the day went on and teams were made and remade, I found more and more people asking me about the gun. Aside from the occasional "its heavy" most were impressed. I played the later part of the day on 3 round bursts with medium field paint and again had no chops, breaks or other issues except for one minor one - at some point my gun stopped firing in 3 rounders and would only fire semi with the light 3 round light green. I removed the left grip and found that the tourny lock had come off the double pins - a quick and easy fix. By the end of the day I had some nice 1ball kills.

Field: Gator Paintball in Hudson, FL (just north of Tampa)

So thats how the first weekend went and I could not be happier. I stripped the gun down during the Bears game and it was a quick and an easy clean.

Before picking this gun, I narrowed my choices to an Ion, X7, VS2 or MR2. Since I play heavy/rough, I thought this my best choice. I'm right.

So now the mods begin. 1st on the list is the AC double O-ring bolt. Scratched from my list is the t-board w/ eyes. A 14" barrel comes next but still not sure which one (would like more distance and less noise). Then a remote and from there, who knows. Perhaps a qloader?

Hossy
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
hey man thats great!
welcome to the forums! im glad you know how to use the gun. If you need any help feel free to ask or reference the Spyder bible at www.ottersccustoms.com!

pbgrandpa
01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the forums...glad to hear your first outting was a good one. Sounds like you did your home work getting it set up. The J&J would be a good choice in barrels and I use a q-loader on mine and it works flawlessly. Keep us updated and as Hossy said if you need help we're all here. Good luck

wylde01
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
well first off welcome to the forums! glad to here that you did you research on the gun and knew everything instead of just getting one and then having alot of troubles. i would also reccomend the jj ceramic as an accurate and quiet barrel. remote is def. a must have (unless you really like the weight!). if you start to buy ups you can get new barrels, stocks, ex-chambers and a BIG MUST HAVE which is the spps alternative feedneck. if you ever have questions just remember we are all here to help. glad you enjoy the mr2, its a very good marker IMO.

zincUSA
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been on and off the OtterCustoms site for the last hour or so (thnx for the link Hossy).

I've been looking at the J&J barrels and will go that way. You have an awesome setup pbgrandpa.

wylde, that spps feedneck will be ordered at the same time I order the AC bolt. I cringe everytime I have to tighten that stock feedneck.

Thanks for all the tips. I have a feeling I'll be spending way too much here, but thats a good thing.

DRAGON
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forums. I play at Gator occasionally though haven't been there since they jacked the price by $10 last year. It's really a great field for any type play. Nice to see you're getting attached to your new MR -

darth massacre
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Good show Zinc, welcome to the forum. To be honest the best results I've gotten with the MR2 so far is when I play it with stock parts. I'm really glad you're enjoying your MR2.

ooglieboogliebob
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Hmm.. Seems like your one of the MR2 players that havn't had a problem, or to big of a problem atleast ;). Sounds like you had a great time. Enjoy your stay. Your welcome here as long as you please :D

emf7301
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Glad you like your MR and had a good time. Might i suggest that you stick with the stock ACS bolt unless you decide to upgrade to eyes. From what i've seen, several people have had chopping issues and it all seems to be from people who have changed their bolts. Just an observation i've noticed. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

wylde01
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
always a good thing to spend time here! you will also be learning alot here and start to spend alot. trust me... it happened to me. LOL

Glasher
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Glad you like your MR and had a good time. Might i suggest that you stick with the stock ACS bolt unless you decide to upgrade to eyes. From what i've seen, several people have had chopping issues and it all seems to be from people who have changed their bolts. Just an observation i've noticed. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Weird I've read the contrary that AC o-ringed bolt reduce chops

emf7301
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Well the AC o-ringed bolt will reduce blowby up the feedneck which helps feed balls faster and reduce chops but the MR has that odd offset feedneck which slows down the feeding of the balls a little bit. That reduced feed rate along with no anti-chop system is bound to cause chops. A good combination is a force feed hopper that tensions the ball stack with the ACS bolt. The force feed hopper will overcome any blowby and should feed faster than you will shoot while the ACS will not chop a ball that happens to not get all the way into the chamber.

sry about hijacking the thread.

powderBurnz
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
ZincUSA,

Funny, I am looking at the same exact setup you have. It sounds like everything flows pretty well through your setup. Things still good-to-go? Have you came across any parts you'd change out or suggestions on what to get instead.?.

BTW, first post here, just joined today.

-Burnz

zincUSA
01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome aboard.

The only thing I've changed is the stock striker spring with a medium spring, which was done after the post above.

If your chopping into the feedneck, what is your velocity reading? I now one person who, with the same setup as us, chopped like a blender until he chrono'd and adjusted it below 280fps.