PDA

View Full Version : Paging File Problem

Team Ramrod
01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, I used to be pretty computer inclined but thats somewhat decreased over the years and now need some help. I figured I'd ask here before going to the computer specific people. Well, I keep getting this error what my paging file is too small and that I need to go in and change it. Well, I've changed it to the max limit it allows me to and I am still getting this error. I'm not quite sure how to fix it or even why I started getting the error in the first place. I am also getting a 'virtual memory' error that is closing programs when i think their are to many open. I think this is because we are filling the hard drive but I'm not sure, could you also asses this? Also, i forget where it is, but could you tell me where I can go to check how much of the HD is being used. Thanks guys, I'm stumped on these ones.

emf7301
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Well finding out how much HD space you have left is very easy. Here's the sequence to find out: Start > My Computer > Right-click C: > properties. That'll tell you how much you have left.

I think your specific problem sounds like a lack of sufficient RAM. It would help alot if you could check how much RAM you do have. It's pretty easy as well: Start > Control Panel > System or Performance and Maintenance then System. It should say right there "xxx MB(or GB) of RAM". Post back and let us know.

durrell
01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
If I had to guess, I'd agree with emf in that it's probably a lack of RAM or possibly some bad RAM. Seems a lot of those minor errors that annoy you come from RAM problems. Check that out and let us know what you find.

DFSniper
01-21-2007, 09:59 PM
yeah, the virtual memory error is most likely your HDD and low RAM. my neighbor was having that problem and i had to research it a bit, but i cant remember the website i went to...

Team Ramrod
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks guys so far. yeah, we've got and 80gb hard drive and its only got 25 gigs left, would that effect anything? I heard you can start seeing some slowdown after half way into the drive, is that true?

And we have 512mb of ram, i know this is getting on the lower side now a days, but this machine is a few years old now. I think I'll advise the 'rents to get a secondary drive for a slave drive and another stick of Ram.

anything else?

colonel_moo
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
dont worry about the space usage. as long as your disc is defragmented every few months or so it shouldnt significantly effect the speed.

emf7301
01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
You shouldn't be having any troubles with 25 gigs of free space. I wouldn't expect any problems until you start getting under 5 gigs. Your RAM amount on the other hand could use another 512 stick and be upped to 1 gig. Just make sure the RAM is the right type.

Other than maybe another hard drive when your current one is full, I wouldn't put anything else into a computer more than 1.5 years old. Once Vista comes out, there will be a whole new set of upgrades out there designed to work at 64 bit which would take advantage of Vista's capability.

vwjimmy
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
No one has mentioned a possible virus......
Several viruses scank memory and lock it and virtual memory up to create these types of errors...
Have you checked for them? I would.

marvin-martian
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
i dont mean to hijack a thread, but im having a computer problem too. basically all of my fonts are abnormally large. i went to the "appearance" thing to see if anything was changed, but everything was normal.

ooglieboogliebob
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey Marv ... it's right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings (tab) -> Then change your resolution size. Is it your whole computer or just your Browser ??

Anyway. I would believe it's a lack of ram. If you press Ctrl + Alt + Del, then go to Performance (Tabs), you can see your pagefile ussage. If it's on a steady line your fine, but if it's peaking you might have a problem.

Try exiting out some programs in the Processes tab. It could be causing a problem. Maybe you have too many icons running/programs causing the pagefile left decreased. I'll find some more info.

Team Ramrod
01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Jimmy, i first thought of the virus problem too. So i scanned with Norton, AVG, spybot, ad-aware and a-squared. got rid of some minute spyware issues but nothing major was found.

I'm not planning on putting much onto here, its my parents computer and when I got to school next year i'll be getting my own, and this wont be used as much, just my parents doing some web surfing or email's.

thanks guys, keep anything that comes to mind flowing.

DFSniper
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
hmm, do a google search for "virtual memory errors' and see what you get. there should be some things describing how to set your virtual memory (which, if i remember right, is what the computer uses when it runs out of RAM)

marv: go into your properties and go to Appearances. click on Advanced. in the drop down menu for items, chekc to see if Message Box is set set at size 8 font and your Active and Inactive Title Bars are set at size 25 with a size 10 font

marvin-martian
01-23-2007, 03:38 AM
i was already there and everything is where it should

marvin-martian
01-23-2007, 08:02 AM
i fixed it. i ran a virus scan last night, and it found like 20 of them. i deleted them all and turned the computer off. i just turned it back on and everythings fine.

Team Ramrod
02-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Hate to bring back a dead thread but I need some more help.

I need to know what kind of ram to get for my computer. If anyone could tell me how to find the type that would be great. I ran "Belarc Advisor" but it just told me how much I have, not what type.

The computer is an older Dell, not sure what model. If dell uses the same ram for all ots systems than I guess you could just tell me that.

Thanks.

durrell
02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Take the Advisor and find out what motherboard you have and then look up the motherboard online and see what RAM it takes.

Team Ramrod
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks D, that worked.

Now that i found that out, what would be more beneficial? I currently have 2 sticks of 256mb, would it be better to fill the two available slots with 2 sticks of 512, or fill one slot with one stick of 1gig.

Thanks

Nenkitsune
02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
2 sticks of 512 is generally cheaper than 1 stick of 1gig. since it's an older model, and a dell, i doubt it can do dual channling. so, if what i'm getting is correct, you have 512mb right now, with 2 open slots? i would just get 1 more stick of 512, unless you do some serious gaming or extreme ammounts of graphics editing, you won't need mroe than a gig

Team Ramrod
02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I wanted to get a gig because I'm the only computer savvy person in my family and would like this computer to last as long as i can get it to. My brother and I will be away at university which leaves my parents and sister here who are oblivious. I just figured Id do it now while the computer is having problems I can diagnose and go a bit beyond minimum requirements to make the computer last while I'm not here.

Nenkitsune
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
true. the computer can only handle 2 dimms right? or is it 4? i'm a bit confused by your wordings

Team Ramrod
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
it has 4 slots for memory. But with some more reading i think you have to add memory in pairs so I think I am going to go with 2 sticks of 512mb, that way ill have 2 sticks of 256 in the first two slots and 2 sticks of 512 in the last two slots.

Nenkitsune
02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
you never have to add memory in pairs.

emf7301
02-23-2007, 09:00 AM
the older comps (P1 and 2 systems) i believe would only work with paired memory but the newer ones (P3 and earlier) don't need to be paired. Try just one 512 stick, you will be suprised how much better your system will perform. If you feel you need more after that, you can always order another stick.

bamf-hacker
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Some RAM does need to be paired. RDRAM or RIMM's need to be pared and it has nothing to do with the age or processor.

and more so those Mobo's that need paired RAM also need dummy cards for unused slots.

once yo have your MoBo go here http://www.crucial.com/

you can see what you need for your pc and if it needs to be pared.

Team Ramrod
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks Hacker. It says it need pairs so I'm gonna go with the 2 sticks of 512, then Ill be set for a long time with this computer and don't have to worry about my parents having a problem with it while I'm away. (at least, not in the RAM category)