PDA

View Full Version : Playing speedball today

bracer028
01-20-2007, 05:44 PM
i was using my LP electra, but how come for some reason, the opponents balls go 2 times farther than mine does. with a fight, my ball will drop and their ball will actually hit and hurt me....is it because of their guns like angels, dms, promasters?

just wanna know thanks

Hossy
01-20-2007, 05:45 PM
did you chrono your gun?

bracer028
01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
yea at 288

Halucin8
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
the brand of marker shouldn't matter. it oculd be the paint you wree using. a damaged barrel maybe? but a ball shot a 288 should travel the same distance from any gun unless your using a flatline barrelor a "low-Blow" bolt for your spyder.

bracer028
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
i was using impacts, and strikers, and super swirls...yet opponents shot harder and fast than i can.

i also have a dye ultralite 10"

08Lud08
01-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Actually I noticed that with my spyder too. you could shoot a high end gun with the same barrel and the high end gun will shoot a lot more accurate making it look like its shooting further.

Halucin8
01-20-2007, 06:33 PM
288 is 288 one is not harder than the other. ther may be somethign to a higher end gun but more equal pressure over the entire surface area of the ball so it is more accurate also the dimensions are more tightly watched on those guns so i might see a better accuracy but harder is not gonna happen. 288 out of a spyder is 288 out of an angel. and a ball without putting a spin on the ball somehow a ball shot at 288 will travel the same distance out of any barrel.

08Lud08
01-20-2007, 06:38 PM
I never said it shot harder, I said it looked like it shot further because of accuracy.

Halucin8
01-20-2007, 06:46 PM
yet opponents shot harder and fast than i can it wasn't you 08lud08 it was bracer that that comment was for

stylinbeaver
01-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Maybe everybody else was shooting hot? And you weren't?

Hossy
01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
well, even after what everyone says, Im still gonna go with the fact that the bore match wasnt great, and maybe you didnt lube the marker and such..

emf7301
01-20-2007, 06:59 PM
There shouldn't be any difference but there are a few things that could cause one ball to travel further. As has been said above, either the other people were shooting hot or ball spin is the culprit.

The best solution that i can come up with would be a barrel kit so that you can match bore size to the paint thus eliminating any pockets that air could slip by the ball and induce a spin. According to Otter's info, dye ultralights have a bore of 690-692, superswirls are 686-689, visible impact is 689-691, and i can't find bore size for strikers. Obviously, some of your paint could definitely be smaller than your barrel bore and possibly induce downwards spin causing a shorter shot. You didn't happen to see what kind of barrels they had did you?

Another possibility is maybe wind but i assume that you switched sides so that probably isn't an issue.

Hopefully that helps. You might see if someone has a spyder threaded barrel kit you could try and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

ooglieboogliebob
01-20-2007, 08:13 PM
hrmm... did you chrono your gun after you were done ??

I bet you were using co2 while they were using HPA. The cold weather affected your co2 drastically. Since it was in a warm environment before (in the house/car) then you went out, directly chrono'd it, the PSI level went down therefore the FPS also going down.

HPA on the contrary does not have much of an effect from temperature.

bracer028
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
LP...which means HPA most likely

Hossy
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
LP...which means HPA most likely

he was asking you a question, if you used HPA....
but then you say your gun is LP...which means HPA most likely?
counldnt you just answer the question

But he does bring up a good point.....

calebh
01-20-2007, 09:10 PM
im thinking ooglie's right. did you chrono it throughout the day, or just at the beginning? cuz if you chornoed throughout the day, it would have to be paint to barrel match...

or maybe the entire other team had flatlines? *shrug*

ooglieboogliebob
01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
meh flatlines may seem to go farther, but at a certain point you can see them hovering by you making it possible to dodge them.

bracer028
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
you know what...i think its just that they are firing hot...there is no other explanation...

how much do you think they cranked it up to? 340+?

bigred76
01-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Pfft. I call shens on cranking it up. ESPECIALLY since markers like DM's and PM's have a system that eliminates the marker from shooting above 300fps or close to it no matter what you do.

Maybe the just angled their guns? That'd make it shoot farther.... Common calculus. You ark a ball at a higher trajectory, it will go farther.

leed
01-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, you said your shots were dropping off early, and sometimes the design of the marker has a lot to do with how straight the shot is.

To say the least, Spool Valve markers have a much straighter trajectory than a standard double stacked marker does, mainly because of how the air enters the bolt, and leaves the bolt, and hits the paintball. This, in turn, could have something to do with it.

Another thing, is from what I've seen, DM's/PM's don't have trouble getting to 300 FPS. The fields I play at have 300 FPS set to the field velocity limit, and the field being sponsored by Dye, and them advertising Dye to the max, many people play with Matrices, and have no trouble matching the 300 FPS. If you're talking about Spool Valves in general, my cousin doesn't have trouble with his shocker either. So from what I know, and have experienced, spool valves don't have any trouble with being able to shoot hot. Because not only can you increase pressure (to a certain degree), but you can also raise dwell time, and still be able to rip a constant 15BPS.

Keeping all of that in mind, say they're shooting 300, with you at 288, the 12FPS in between could certainly make a difference, combined with the design of spool valves and their straighter trajectory.

wbpaintball
01-21-2007, 07:18 AM
turn your velocity up

vikingshadow
01-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Pretty much what Leed said. I have two spool valve markers - shocker and rail, and they both are pretty flat projectories up to a point, in which then you have to angle them a bit. The Rail came hot out of the box, and my shocker can be hot if I want it to be. A lot of that depends on barrel to ball match - more air behind it instead of beside it makes it a hot shot.

Also, LP does NOT equal HPA. When I took my Sonix LP, I used Co2 strictly. I was thinking he might have been using Co2 as well. You shoot at high rates of fire, Co2 pressure drops. If you don't have a good regulator, your not going to get good recharge, and shots start to drop. Wait a few beats, and it's back up again. HPA, on the other hand, has a regulator on the bottle which will make the shots more consistant and as was mentioned, temperature is not a factor with it.

Triple xXx
01-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Maybe everybody else was shooting hot? And you weren't?

EXACTLY!:tank:

Plus, Co2 and Sppedball don't mix well!

With Co2 you can start out shooting 280 and by the time you leave the field you're shooting much less. HPA is not like that.

calebh
01-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Keeping all of that in mind, say they're shooting 300, with you at 288, the 22FPS in between could certainly make a difference, combined with the design of spool valves and their straighter trajectory.

that's 12 fps. go back to kindergarten :p

bigred76
01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
turn your velocity up
:slap: Don't EVER do that to compete distance-wise. :angry:

Leed... lol... I chuckle in your general direction at your math.

leed
01-21-2007, 09:57 AM
that's 12 fps. go back to kindergarten :p

Meh, it was late. I still did it wrong just now, and I just woke. Pardon my mistake.

calebh
01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Meh, it was late. I still did it wrong just now, and I just woke. Pardon my mistake.

lol thats what caffeine is for ;)

08Lud08
01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Actually when your shooting hot your paintballs get inaccurate. I was shooting at 300 and they were curving and I lowered it to 285 and it shot straighter so I doubt they were shooting hot.

leed
01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually when your shooting hot your paintballs get inaccurate. I was shooting at 300 and they were curving and I lowered it to 285 and it shot straighter so I doubt they were shooting hot.

Huh, I've never had that experience in my life. But, I can see what you mean. I still don't think that's the reason, though. A lot of fields have the FPS limit at 300, if that 15 (I think it's right this time) FPS difference causes that much of a inaccuracy, then they probably wouldn't set the field limit to 300..

Oh, I don't drink coffee or soda. Or much anything with caffeine. :D I already have enough health issues as it is, I don't need cavities. :rolleyes: