PDA

View Full Version : Winter Paintballs

Triple xXx
01-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Needed or not needed?

Halucin8
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
yes the colderit is the more brittle the paint becomes. that is why they make brands like polar ice it is designed to used below 40 degrees farenheit i believe.

bigred76
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Winter paintballs have a tougher shells so when used in colder weather they don't break inside your marker as easily. I personally just still use regular paint because when you get your marker tuned right, they work just fine with any kind of paint no matter the weather.

vikingshadow
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I never use them - too expensive. Just keep your paint in your car in the sun, and it'll be ok.

ShadowX
01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
I never use them - too expensive. Just keep your paint in your car in the sun, and it'll be ok.

Now guys, Vike said leave the paint in your car.. That does NOT mean overnight.. That could be the biggest mistake any person could make..

STRIKEFIRST
01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I live in Michigan...it kinda gets cold eh! Here outdoors if you have the guts to play...yes its necessary.

vikingshadow
01-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I never use them - too expensive. Just keep your paint in your car IN THE SUN, and it'll be ok.

Guess I should have clarified it further - the sun doesn't come out at night, guys, so make sure to take them in when you get home, LOL! ;)

spyderaron
01-19-2007, 04:41 PM
We were playing in just below forty* weather and our regular paintballs were working just fine. I would say they're not needed.

Triple xXx
01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Just thought of a multi-million dollar idea:

A heated hopper for winter usage!

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I guess you could give that a try find something to heat the inside then bolt it in. You could possibly make millions.

RIpaintballer
01-19-2007, 06:24 PM

im taken that idea and i will final buy a FASTA and i will be rich and play paintball everyday. yay

Triple xXx
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I guess you could give that a try find something to heat the inside then bolt it in. You could possibly make millions.

Something like a mini microwave oven in the hopper to keep the balls warm! :D :waytogo:

Sure it's safe! LOL

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Yea or like a motion activated heater and everytime you shot and the balls move it heats up.

Hossy
01-19-2007, 06:34 PM

but if it heats too much, the paint will melt or something, or get dimples, and then noone will buy....

just an idea

badlandsrox
01-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Something like a mini microwave oven in the hopper to keep the balls warm! :D :waytogo:

Sure it's safe! LOL

I can think of an even easier way too keep the "balls" warm :dodgy:

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
but if it heats too much, the paint will melt or something, or get dimples, and then noone will buy....

just an idea
Exactly that's why the heater only turns on when the balls move. Like a sound censor would probably be better and you could adjust the heat to what you wanted.

The Booth Man
01-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Why not try using some chemical hand warmers. I'm sure you could fit one in your hopper.

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 07:11 PM
That is what I was thinking at first but people like adjustability. I might even make a couple of these if I get in the mood then post pics.

timmyshoota
01-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Winter paint is really a personal thing. My gun, no matter the weather, shoots paint without breaking it. I have no need for winter paint. However, I have owned guns in the past that should of been made by Kitchenaid in the winter. I'd continue using regular paint until you see a need for it. If you are chopping like crazy, just get the winter paint next time you play.

The only winter paint I've used is Severe Storm Ice. It was the exact same price as regular Storm, so it wasn't a big deal to buy it.

Edit: Heated hopper = bad idea. You are gonna have problems with the paint sticking together. Its best to just leave the paint inside your car in sunlight. You'll have better results than using a heater in the hopper.

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Winter paint is really a personal thing. My gun, no matter the weather, shoots paint without breaking it. I have no need for winter paint. However, I have owned guns in the past that should of been made by Kitchenaid in the winter. I'd continue using regular paint until you see a need for it. If you are chopping like crazy, just get the winter paint next time you play.

The only winter paint I've used is Severe Storm Ice. It was the exact same price as regular Storm, so it wasn't a big deal to buy it.

Edit: Heated hopper = bad idea. You are gonna have problems with the paint sticking together. Its best to just leave the paint inside your car in sunlight. You'll have better results than using a heater in the hopper.
I am on a mission and nothing will stop me. See if I do this, and then somewhere down the road someone else says hmm...I wonder if a heated hopper will help me during the winter time and I can step in and say how it works.That is just from my perspective though.Feel free to disagree.

Edit:And sorry for getting a little bit off topic about the heated hopper thing.

Ace24
01-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Why not try using some chemical hand warmers. I'm sure you could fit one in your hopper.
I was thinking something along the lines of those shoe heater things. Same stuff they use for chemical hand warmers.

Triple xXx
01-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Edit: Heated hopper = bad idea.

It's just a joke. :D

tater_salad
01-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I am taking this very seriously. I think it is a awesome breakthrough idea.

calebh
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Just keep your paint in your car in the sun, and it'll be ok.

wow, how often do you hear this? :P living in texas, it's always something closer to "keep your paint in the shade or indoors all the freaking time or it won't be ok ever"

vikingshadow
01-19-2007, 09:25 PM
LOL!

Sigh - Ok, for those who were wondering, I, of course, was not referring to summer time play! I'm referring to those times of the year that it's butt cold and we're idiots for being out in it in the first place - and not those fortunate souls who live in more temperate zones!

STRIKEFIRST
01-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Sure it's safe! LOL

3000' extension cord sold seperately! :D

STRIKEFIRST
01-23-2007, 08:17 AM
LOL!

Sigh - Ok, for those who were wondering, I, of course, was not referring to summer time play! I'm referring to those times of the year that it's butt cold and we're idiots for being out in it in the first place - and not those fortunate souls who live in more temperate zones!

Like today...without windchill it's a balmy 22 degrees...Game on anyone?:p

TheRedBarron
01-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Like today...without windchill it's a balmy 22 degrees...Game on anyone?:p
That is warm... last week I was working on my house 3 days in a row at -10 through -17

STRIKEFIRST
01-23-2007, 08:29 AM
That is warm... last week I was working on my house 3 days in a row at -10 through -17

Where in the hell do you live?

We've been lucky here...mild winter

samus129
01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
How do u know if they are winter paintball.

Triple xXx
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
How do u know if they are winter paintball.

You have to ask. Most paintballs are NOT winter grade. Some companys will give it a special name to indicate "winter".

For example:

Empire makes "Ramp" paintballs (summer).
They also make "Ramp Blizard" balls for cold weather.

You have to ask what winter balls they have. Wal-Mart probably will not carry winter balls.

Hob Hayward
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Not sure if anyone else has said this, but draxxus arctic inferno are great.

yamaha cow
01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
not needed at all period oops.

Triple xXx
01-24-2007, 09:16 AM
not needed at all period oops.

Where are you from and how cold does it get where you are?

fxdbi
01-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Last time I played it was a blamy 23 degrees for the better part of the day. I did chop quite a bit, but I attribute that to having only a gravity fed hopper.

Of course, we have talked about going up into some forest close by to play a winter scenario with the snow camo and such, with temps at or below 20 for the most part so I would definitely look into them at that point....especially since you can't always count on sun being out as Vike suggests - it was still snowing last time I played and that made it all the more fun but made no sunshine to heat them up.