PDA

View Full Version : For a second opinion....

JailBreakJIm
01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
What gun should I get?
My choices so far are:
Some Random spyder
An Ion
autococker
add one if you think its a good gun

Im on a budget of less than 600$ for everything(goggles to gun)
This will be the first gun i have owned
I really want to up my guns too
just looking for my best choice
even though its my first gun im not new to how they work
this goes especially for the spyders and cocker

pb34
01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I say you buy a used Imagine from actionvillage. Which is only 65$ i think. Then you can buy a good pair of goggles and hpa if you can get it filled. That way you still will have many to get a bunch of upgrades for the gun such as:

Feedneck, Electronic Hopper, T-board...etc. etc.

bamf-hacker
01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
First Off WELCOME (glad you can post now ;))

You say you really want to "UP" your gun, well in that case I would say get an Ion. As of right now, you can upgrade every single part of the Ion.

You can get a new Ion for about $200, a tank for about $200, Loader and Goggles for about $150 and that leaves you $50 to start upgrading.

If you go used then you can get MUCH MUCH More.

Again Welcome.

JailBreakJIm
01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
thx, it really helps to have very experienced players help me out with this stuff.

clickclicksplat
It depends... do you want to play woods or speedball?

For speedball I guess I have to recommend the ion, it's guts are a bit more complicated than most Spyders, but if you know your way around a paintball gun you should be fine. It also has a good deal more upgrades already on the market then the VS2. Both have eyes, both are LP, the ion is electropneunamic while the VS is blowback. For upgradability and customization, any other Spyder would do fine (they're some of the most easy to work with and upgradable guns in existence) but most of them are lower-end. If you don't want to shell out the cash for an HPA to start, though, a spyder is your best bet... Ions get effed up if you use co2. I know almost nothing about autocockers, so I can't help ya there.

For woods, an MR3 looks like a nice marker -full auto and eyes. Never owned or shot one, so I don't know how they operate. The SP-8 is pretty sweet looking imo, but again, don't know much about that either, other then it's essentially ion guts with a milsim body.

Hossy
i wouldnt spend that much bud, get a spyder VS2, hpa tank, and an egg, which will probably cost you around 400 there, with a cheap mask.

You can buy used guns too, online and in the B/S/T section.

Id say for your first gun, get a spyder, easy to maintain, yet they preform great for the learning player. There will be aftermarket stuff comming out more and more for the VS2, like today we all found out about the trinity body kits.....

For a tank, get an HPA tank....youll love us for saying it in the long end, but maybe not when your exactly spending it....Id suggest a 68/4500, but a 48/3k steelie is good to begin with as well....

Get a new barrel, maybe a Dye Ultralight if they make them in spyder threads, or a Stiffi, which is my favorite barrel by far.... its definatly worth it...

Masks are the most important thing to have....id get a profiler, or proflex....

Also read the thing in my sig...The thing under the DM4 for sale, its a thread i made that has lots of good parts and such....as well as what all parts do on the gun....

Also welcome to the forums!
Dont forget to check out www.ottersccustoms.com hes a admin here, and its the spyder bible!

Sandman_Bravo
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Find a used Ion or whatever you like on e-bay or PB nation, but don't skimp on the face mask. There's no comparison to a good fitting mask with a wide field of vision, that doesn't fog up. (thermal lens) You can have the fastest, most accurate, paint-slinger out there; but it doesn't do you any good if you can't see. Then you're just a live target.

JailBreakJIm
01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
What do you all think about an autococker Because the back block and timing sys. is sooo awsome to me.

Halucin8
01-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I have never owned an autockocker but everything i hear about them is they are great guns and very accurate but also need alot of maintanence. hopefully someone who has owned one can respond better. on a side note i have one on its way to mess with right now

spyderaron
01-19-2007, 04:52 PM
You can't go wrong with a Pilot ACS. Can you? you can get the marker, an HPA tank, hopper, goggles, new feedneck, stuff to maintain and clean your marker and some ups for around $400. the rest of the money can go for upgrades, paintballs and anything else you will need.

Welcome to the forums.

MVS1
01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
What do you all think about an autococker Because the back block and timing sys. is sooo awsome to me.
Cockers rock, no doubt about it, but it all comes down to what you want to spend, IMO stay way from bone stock black magics, serious issues with eyes failing and not very good support from manufacturer. Other than that cockers are comparatively quiet, accurate and just cool. If you really like the cockers take a look at the Evil Omen 2.0, similiar in many ways to the autococker, with the exception of the 3-way valve and a few other things, however it is closed bolt. A buddy of mine just picked one up New for under $200 and it seems like a damn good marker, comes stock with evil drive barrel and detonator reg. Just something to consider.

wbpaintball
01-19-2007, 06:08 PM
id go with something decent and upgradable like the smart parts ion. easily maintained and a great marker overall

ooglieboogliebob
01-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I have never owned an autockocker but everything i hear about them is they are great guns and very accurate but also need alot of maintanence. hopefully someone who has owned one can respond better. on a side note i have one on its way to mess with right now

You've heard wrong. They're really user friendly. After you time it once, all you really need to time afterwards is the timing rod.

Anyway as for my opinion i'd say get an ion. You can get a pretty nice use, but up'd ion for $200, stock for $125 or so. HPA tank used is $100. Mask used is $20 (VForce Profiler), then buy yourself a NEW lense $15ish. Hopper good condition used Halo $65. All you need for $400. Way better than a spyder, user friendly, easy to maintain and you get much much more.

JailBreakJIm
01-21-2007, 05:20 AM
so i f i get an ion should i get the Virtue borad?

Theheroguy
01-21-2007, 06:45 AM
I want you to consider the hygene of using a used mask.

Hossy
01-21-2007, 06:52 AM
I want you to consider the hygene of using a used mask.

I agree and disagree
Agree, people have sweat into these masks

Disagree- Know who used them, I may be getting a mask from Timmyshoota, and well i know that he isnt gonna sell me a mask that if i get shot in the lense its gonna break.

But one thing, it is always a good idea to change the lense of a mask right away.

so i f i get an ion should i get the Virtue borad?

lol im used to that being ******. Virtue is a good brand, but its not the only brand. Read up on some boards, see what they have to offer technology wise. Some may cost you little and have everything you would need/use.

JailBreakJIm
01-21-2007, 06:56 AM
What should I look for then?

Hossy
01-21-2007, 07:01 AM
The T board, Virtue, Tadao, and Lucky are good names, but im not sure if they all make a Ion board

bigred76
01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Yes, they all do, as well as APE. I personally would segest either the T-Board or Lucky for an Ion. Both are pretty much the same, and both are fairly cheap as far as boards go.

I second that about Autocockers... I didn't have to time mine for the last year I owned mine. It was so damn reliable, too. I could do almost anything with that gun, and at the end of the day I'd just pull out my bolt and run a squeegie through the body and barrel. That was my entire clean-up. For maintenence, 3 drops of oil in the ASA before I screwed in my tank to go playing was more than enough. Of course, this is after I completely reconfigured the marker, and timed everything on it. Took me a total of about 30 minutes for timing it, as it was my first time and was just going slow. Normally it takes people ten minutes to tie one.

calebh
01-21-2007, 10:18 AM
have you considered automags? an rt custom costs $355 stock, and that's almost as upgraded as you'll need. i would suggest a ULE body (which only adds $10 to the price), and if you play a lot of speedball, the ygrip (which costs $90 more, and is probly the most expensive upgrade you can find for this mag, since most other parts are as upgraded as it will get). once you tune the lvl 10 bolt (included), you can barely feel the bolt hit your finger (i've tried). i cant fit my tongue down there, tho lol. tom kaye (founder of agd) did that in a mag with the breech cut away to show the bolt. no eyes needed. really, no upgrades are truly needed lol. the thing with the mag is that this one comes with the xvalve, which requires hpa. figure between $80 and $200 for that. so with the upgrades i suggested on the mag and hpa, it comes to roughly $550+. you'll need an electronic hopper, as well, but you wont need a halo or anything that expensive. so figure $600+. then goggles. i would spend at least $40 on goggles, just cuz its the most important part of your gear and generally more expensive means better lol.

all told with a mag, you'll probly end up spending upwards of $700, but you wont regret buying the mag. it's the simplest marker design, imo. cleaning involves undoing one screw, pulling the guts (including the single moving part) out of the single tube, cleaning the bolt (that single moving part) if necessary, and running a squeegee thru the tube. maintenence pretty much involves oiling (well, autolubing i guess, since that's the stuff to use for mags and it wont blow up in hpa) regularly thru the asa.

airgun designs (http://www.airgun.com/)
rt custom mag info and order page (http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=368&categoryID=79)

if you cant or dont want to save up a little more money, there are a couple of cheaper mag alternatives to the rt custom which dont need hpa, and you can upgrade later, but i would definitely suggest including the lvl 10 bolt.

cockers are good markers, and are also very easy to maintence. used cockers are pretty cheap, and you can usually find a good one from someone somewhere. spyders are a cheap and easy choice. extremely upgradeable, fairly easy to maintenece, and make very good starter markers.

also, if you get a cheaper marker for your first, you'll have more money to play, so you'll have a better idea of what you need to upgrade and what you can leave as is.

leed
01-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm glad to see I've made some sort of effect on people in their understanding of the maintenance of autocockers. :D

All you need is patience, and willingness to learn. You can learn a lot, with those two things.

However, moving more towards the generalized question as to "What marker should I get?"

First ask yourself, "Is this a wise way to spend my money?" Then if you answer yes, think about it again, and ask yourself, "Do I plan on playing this sport as a hobby? Or as an 'as much as I can' sport?" If you answer the latter, then you should look into something higher end, if not, stick with something that you can shoot out of the box, put back in the box, and take it out again a few months later and shoot without troubles. As you move on through your questions, ask yourself, "What can I handle? What am I willing to do? How much am I willing to learn?"

Like I said about the autococker, it takes a simple willingness to learn, and patience to keep it running forever, but when you get it running, it will serve you extraordinarily well.

If you don't feel you are that patient, go with something simple, and extremely low maintenance, such as a Spyder or an Ion. Keep in mind, that all markers have common issues, so before you encounter one, do a little research, to find out what kind of marker you are dealing with.

I would personally push you into the direction of an Ion. It is a great little marker, and is great for a starting player. The Ion's design is very simple, and requires little to no maintenance for a light player, just the simple keeping it clean of paint is all you need. Plus, with the low price tag, you can not beat it's functionality.

In the end, it's up to you. How much are you willing to put into the sport? And before you make any rash decision, I urge you ask yourself how much do you plan on playing this sport? If you don't play often, you will regret spending 400+ dollars on it. I guarantee it.

EDIT:

And one more thing, as far as boards go, I say that the stock board is perfectly fine. Unless you want super illegal modes that have uncapped ramping, and full auto, the stock board will suit you fine. I honestly wouldn't look into at all just yet. That 100 dollars you don't spend on a board, could be put towards paint and air. Trust me, it's much more fun to play with a well upgraded gun, then to just own and never use a little-bit-more-than-well-upgraded gun.

calebh
01-21-2007, 12:20 PM
All you need is patience, and willingness to learn. You can learn a lot, with those two things.
ya, if you spend enough time taking tippmann's apart, it becomes easy lol. *mutters*stupid clams

leed also makes a good point when he says you should ask what you want. if you aren't going to get into the game a lot, dont spend a lot, even if you do think mags are the bombizzle ;)

MVS1
01-21-2007, 04:21 PM
WOW Leed I thought I wrote long posts :D, honestly though, right out of the box I'd look towards the Ion, Cocker or Evil Omen 2.0, they are really good markers right out of the box. Personnaly I am looking at getting either an Evil Omen 2.0 or used Karnivour auto-cocker as the next addition to the stable.

nbishop66
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
After owning a pilot acs and now and ION I would have to say get an ION. I am also very confused with people who say if you play woodsball get this if you play airball get this. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't take a tippman on a speedball field, but any fast shooting gun works perfectly fine for both, unless it's gloss red.

I might be a little older and wiser than most on the forum, but a board is a waste of money. Short of wanting to shoot 25 bps (who cares) and having tournament specific modes, a board it's unnecessary for the average player. Save the $$ get the essentials upgrades, barrel, Trigger, feedneck, QEV, and bolt. You should be able to get everything you need for around $450-$500 including the ups.

turbo chicken
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
from now on this is my answer to the "what sould i get" question ... get a PGP ... save lots of money on paint and play more than once every 2 months... i have played with all kinds of markers and i always shot the same amount of paint ... and could usually hit my target .... but i only got to play once ever few months ..... playing 2-3 time a month is way better even if I have to play pump to do so .... I'm getting way more enjoyment with my PGP then i would have with buying another marker and only playing every once in a while...

... cause really no matter what is said

Hob Hayward
01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, buying a PGP is one thing, but I think most people want semis :p. If you really want to play pump you gotta get yourself a nice one :). Sides, PGP's are expensive and rare now.

With that sort of money, I'm not sure what I'd get, but as this IS your first gun a spyder might just be the gun you want. Let me ask this, where are you going to be playing, somewhere where you have ready access to compressed air, or somewhere where it is not available.

If you play somewhere with air, then an electro such as the Ion would work, however, if you can't get HPA often, a nice electro or mechanical spyder is a great starter gun, learn the concepts of the gun, get to know paintball better, and get a chance to play with your own equipment before breaking the bank on a really nice gun.

turbo chicken
01-25-2007, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=Hob Hayward]Well, buying a PGP is one thing, but I think most people want semis :p. If you really want to play pump you gotta get yourself a nice one :). Sides, PGP's are expensive and rare now.
QUOTE]
They are anything but rare and expensive 50.00 is realtively cheap ... even for a pump ...

but i say get the spyder ... you just can beat the versitality to use c02 and hpa ... polish the internals ... slap a reg on it ... ACS bolt and your done ... oh and get a mech frame ... and use the 40-50.00 bucks you saved and get a cheap steel HPA tank and a used revy...

and spend the rest of the money on actually playing

then again i've been playing pump exclusively for 9 months and i'd prefer to play 2-3 times month with the PGP than once every 2 with the mag...