PDA

View Full Version : Crapped my pant at my good luck

Theheroguy
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
My mom has formed a new deal with me. My parents don't won't me to spend a fortune on paintball and me be broke so m mom is helping me out. Now that pm7s are out and pm6s dropped in price if I get straight a's in 3rd or fourth quarter I'm gettin a free pm6. Now I need to study my but off for nine weeks in french and algebra 2 and I'm set. I have a's in the rest of my classes. This however means that I will spend dramaticaly less time on the forums. edit If my bro gets straight a's he gets $650-$700 in ion ups and everything he could want for paintball.

DRAGON
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Your parents whould prolly be more proud if you did it for yourself w/o them having to bribe you with money but w/e -

Hossy
01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
trade for the DM4?
:P

its a great gun, you willlove it

Theheroguy
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Your parents whould prolly be more proud if you did it for yourself w/o them having to bribe you with money but w/e -

It's not like I'm not trying really hard right now 5a's and 2b's in all acclerated reg classes aint easy its edit french 3 honors. Band and weights sound like easy a classes but in band you get graded on how well you play in howard county (you have to practice every other day to be good for an a or just play music class and pass playing test with 80's resulting in a b). In weights... nevermind easy a but so are most other electives. Algerbra 2 is hard for me.

invisibledrummer
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
you are lucky. my parents expect all a's out of me so when i get all a's i get ice cream. Wahoo. i play the drums so at the risk of sounding like a band geek, i like practicing. just because i usually just rock out on the set and the concert stuff comes naturally.

timmyshoota
01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Some parent's reward their kids for doing good. I have no problem with that. My dad used to pay my college tuition until I F'd up and dropped out. Now that I'm back in, if I get all A's he will go back to paying as long as I keep it up. Definitely worth it to me.

xtraking
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
You need help in french? I know a thing or two abot french

durrell
01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Some parent's reward their kids for doing good. I have no problem with that. My dad used to pay my college tuition until I F'd up and dropped out. Now that I'm back in, if I get all A's he will go back to paying as long as I keep it up. Definitely worth it to me.

My parents have promised to put me through school as long as I keep my act together and keep my grades up. I think anyone enjoys having a little incentive for doing good. It's the same as when you're doing a job knowing that if you perform at or above the expected level, you get that Christmas bonus at the end of the year. :)

vikingshadow
01-18-2007, 03:45 AM
Hmmmmm, I don't think I agree with all you guys on using money as incentives thing - I never got rewarded that way, nor did I expect to and I had straight A's and B's. I got rewarded in other ways - being allowed to go out with my friends, borrow the car, get gas money and date money, staying out of trouble, etc...My own kids don't get rewarded that way as well and they know they have to make good grades or else.

As far as paying for college, that's something else. My parents couldn't afford it, and I know it bothered them a lot, so I paid my own way through both times (still paying on the second :mad: )They would send me a few bucks every now and then if I needed it, but much less than they wanted to, I know. If parents have the means, then certainly, I'd expect them to pay for it IF you did what you're supposed to do - study and make good grades.

Personally, I think that children getting "paid" for doing something you're SUPPOSED to do (middle and high school) in the first place breeds a sense of entitlement that is running rampant through the country right now - not saying any of you have it, but I see it EVERY day in school in the form of "What do we get if we do this assignment?" "Um, you get a grade!" Now, my kids do get money, in the form of an allowance, IF they do their chores at home and I don't have to get after them for it so it's not like they're deprived or anything.

But, I'm not your parents, and I wouldn't dare presume to tell anyone how they should raise their kids. If it works for them, so be it! So, work hard, do a great job and enjoy your new gun!

spyderaron
01-18-2007, 06:03 AM
In third grade my dad said if I got one A he would get me a go-cart. So report card comes and what do you know, I got a few As. A few weeks go by and my dad says to go out back, he's got a presant for me. So I go out side and guess what's waiting for me. YOu guessed wrong, it was a bb-gun:mad: :mad: :mad: . I had been wanting a go-cart the entire school year because of what my dad said.

DFSniper
01-18-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm with Vike, I got money ONCE, and that was for one school quarter in 4th grade... (like $9-$10..) AND I have to pay my way through college (not that I'm dumb, if it werent for the juniors graduating a year early, I'd easily have gotten Val/Sal this year.... *&%$ing JUNIORS!!!!) i only wanted the money because everyone else got money for good grades (some up to $100 a report card!!!!!!) and i'm a little greedy....

Hossy
01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
my cuzins friends get 50 dollars an A, 25 a B, 0 for a C, -25 for a D, and -50 if they fail.....

rich people

Theheroguy
01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I know kids who are so dumb there parents give them $10 per c $20 per b and $30 per. They don't usually get much money though. I also have worked for my parents and done a lot of things for them like all that landscaping I talked about before and never expected anything for it. If I didn't do that kind of stuff there is no way I be getting a pm6 for straight a's. Kids I go to school with can't laundry or cook or plant a tree or anything by themselves because their parents do all of the house work. I know compared to most of us thats nothing special but i'm not some spoiled rich kid like some of you might think.

marvin-martian
01-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Kids I go to school with can't laundry or cook or plant a tree or anything by themselves because their parents do all of the house work.
i like how you list planting a tree like its an every day kind of thing that you need to live...

Theheroguy
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
If you live at my house it is trust me more than you could ever know.

*EM1-Master*
01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I see nothing wrong with getting rewarded for good grades... I don't think it creates a sense of entitlement, contrary to what vike said (I know, I know... :banned: ;) )

I think it can build a work ethic that can stick with one for life. By working hard, you are rewarded. If you slack off, is the opposite true? Methinks it so. While consequences are MUCH harsher later in life, is the basic concept dissimilar to the real world, in that you are rewarded for hard work? Methinks not.

That being said, I haven't gotten a cent for grades. Ever. But in my opinion, the concept isn't as "damaging" as some suggest.

Alex228
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Unlike most people, I never got good grades in High School. I would scan my report cards and change the grades in photoshop. I had to do community service to graduate from school. However, it wasnt because I was dumb, I simply didnt think it was worth my time. My parents never offered me money, and I wouldn't have expected to do so. It was my choice to do poor. Mind you I never failed a year, and now im in my second year of college getting mostly A's and B's. I don't know if my parents, well my mom, (my dad doesnt live in the contry) couldn't afford to give me money for good grades or she simply didn't believe in it. But I do know is that when I have kids they will not be rewarded with money. It's either you do what your supposed to or there will be consequences. In reality, everytime you do something good, you don't always get rewarded. In my opinion, rewards are fine, but not monetary ones, allowment of something is more of a reward I would give if I truly believe my child deserved it.

Halucin8
01-18-2007, 01:29 PM
my kids have one job in life right now. got to school and do well. if that happens they play paintball every sunday. they can go wout with friends and hang out. If they need a couple bucks for what they have in mind then they get it. but also they have plenty to do around the house that they live in also. no allowances here they are not needed. i provide what they need and they work around the house and get good grades they get what they want. my middle son has been grounded from paintball for 4 weeks now because of a bad progress report. every sunday he is waiting at the door to see if i would change my mind and let him go. hasn't happened yet and never will

Theheroguy
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
If I get bad grades I do physical labor and don't get to do anything except school related things.

vikingshadow
01-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I know compared to most of us thats nothing special but i'm not some spoiled rich kid like some of you might think.

Wait, guys! I'm not calling anyone spoiled. Not in the least! I just don't agree with money for grades.

I see nothing wrong with getting rewarded for good grades... I don't think it creates a sense of entitlement, contrary to what vike said (I know, I know... :banned: ;) )

Lol - BANNED! Nah, I don't work that way. Opinions are good, I just disagree with you. I see it every day when I give an assignment and kids come up to me and say, "What do I get for doing this?" and "Why should I do this?"

I think it can build a work ethic that can stick with one for life. By working hard, you are rewarded. If you slack off, is the opposite true? Methinks it so. While consequences are MUCH harsher later in life, is the basic concept dissimilar to the real world, in that you are rewarded for hard work? Methinks not.

But see, I don't think that is true. Why shouldn't the reward be a good grade? With a tangible reward, people come to expect it every single time. I work with 5th graders, and sometimes, teachers give out candy for correct answers. Know what happens the next day? They EXPECT candy for correct answers, and get upset when they don't get it. When I was growing up, we didn't EXPECT anything, and we did it right because that was what we were supposed to do. While the concept you related to IS similar, the mindset of kids are MUCH different than those of an adult. If the kids grow up expecting something for the LITTLEST actions, then we ARE developing an entitlist society.

That being said, I haven't gotten a cent for grades. Ever. But in my opinion, the concept isn't as "damaging" as some suggest.

In my opinion, it is much more damaging than people realize, and that's because it's sneaking up on us and not slamming into our faces.

It's either you do what your supposed to or there will be consequences. In reality, everytime you do something good, you don't always get rewarded. In my opinion, rewards are fine, but not monetary ones, allowment of something is more of a reward I would give if I truly believe my child deserved it.

I agree - maybe I'm just being old fashioned, or old school.

my kids have one job in life right now. got to school and do well. if that happens they play paintball every sunday. they can go wout with friends and hang out. If they need a couple bucks for what they have in mind then they get it. but also they have plenty to do around the house that they live in also. no allowances here they are not needed. i provide what they need and they work around the house and get good grades they get what they want. my middle son has been grounded from paintball for 4 weeks now because of a bad progress report. every sunday he is waiting at the door to see if i would change my mind and let him go. hasn't happened yet and never will

Amen - However, I do give allowances because I feel a bit guilty that my kids can't buy a snow cone when the other kids are getting them (that's the softy in me!) But, I also hope they're learning that when they do a job for someone else, ie, vaccuming the living room, they get paid. Getting grades is not a job for someone else.

Theheroguy
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I wish I got allowance.
btw my thread is not about parenting.
I don't expect rewards for good deeds I just hope very strongly.

DFSniper
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Lol - BANNED! Nah, I don't work that way. Opinions are good, I just disagree with you. I see it every day when I give an assignment and kids come up to me and say, "What do I get for doing this?" and "Why should I do this?"

vike, i'm pretty sure they teach this little line in teacher's school, because i've heard almost every single one of my teachers say it to someone: "I don't give you a grade, you have to earn one."

marvin-martian
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
vike, i'm pretty sure they teach this little line in teacher's school, because i've heard almost every single one of my teachers say it to someone: "I don't give you a grade, you have to earn one."
teachers = secretaries when it comes to the gradebook

vikingshadow
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I wish I got allowance.
btw my thread is not about parenting.
I don't expect rewards for good deeds I just hope very strongly.

Haha, I didn't get allowance when I grew up, and I lived on a farm and did heavy farm work!

Threads evolve, you should know that by now. Especially here!

Nothing wrong with strong hope!

Not really - you have to look at it like this. I teach the stuff, if you don't pay attention, I didn't give you the bad grade - you earned it! So, in that since, we really are robots!

I think this is the big difference between teachers and students. Students feel teachers are picking on them and giving them unreasonable grades; teachers feel students don't care and aren't paying attention and have "earned" the grade they have.

Like Marv said, teachers really are secretaries when it comes to the gradebook - what they do AFTER the assesment though is what's important. For instance, when I teach something, I try to make sure the kids really understand it before moving on. If someone didn't, I make sure to remediate and reteach it. A lot of teachers just move on.

leed
01-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I glanced through this thread a little bit, the last time I excepted an offer from my parents on account of grades was in like 3rd grade. My report card had just come in, and I had gotten straight A+'s, and I was uber excited for a remote control car! Man, those were the days.. Everything was so easy.. Life wasn't really important.. Not too long ago, my parents offered me 50 dollars for every SAT practice test I did. But I personally couldn't accept such a deal. If I did that, I would take the tests without heart, and literally just color in blobs. I would be doing it for the money, not for the sake of doing it. However, if my parents ask me to tear down some brick in our foundation and replace something in it, and offer to pay me for that, I'm down with that. When it comes to education, I don't think I should get paid for it.

I can see how some people might think that having the reward at the end helps raise your work ethic, but personally, I have to disagree. I don't know what gets me working when I start working, and I don't know what gets me to start. But it's certainly not for the cash money reward. I could care less about money if I could just get straight A's and B's. And I used to get straight A's and B's, until I got into a relationship. Then I understood the concept of never-doing-homework-because-I'm-too-busy-talking-to-girlfriend. As of now, I think I have picked up a little on my old ways of doing well, without the girlfriend. But I have picked up several more good friends, and maybe one or two new best friends. To be honest, I don't think I have time for a girlfriend. That would force me to sacrifice one of a few things. A. Music -- no. B. Sleep -- Hell no. C. Paintball -- screw that. D. Friends -- Thats what happened last time.. Well you get the point, anyways, I don't think it's worth it. I am honestly perfectly content with my social life, and am not far into looking for a new other.

I see I have wandered a little bit off topic, so to bring myself back, I do believe having these new friends is a bit of a plus and a minus to my work ethic. Sometimes I don't want to work, because I can go out with them and have fun, and sometimes I do work, because I can work with them. I know several of my friends would take a cash reward behind A's and B's, but I myself could not bring myself to do it. Maybe I'd do it, with the fact that I'd hand it right back, to give myself some more reason to work, but I don't think I could work for money. Especially not with something that is supposed to help me. I think that's my whole problem with people working harder in school, just to get money. Because working harder doesn't necessarily mean, doing better, and doing it right. It can also mean cheating, which I've found to happen with some people that I know. I personally don't believe it's ethical to give money to people, just so they will work harder in school. I don't think students should have to think that, if they work hard in school, they will get lots of money. The truth is, it's true. If you work hard in school, you will get lots of money. But, the catch is, you have to get it yourself. Sometimes, if you're super smart, you'll get scholarships, but that's aside the point. It just makes me wonder, what will these people do after highschool? When no one will pay them to work for themselves?

That's just my two cents. It's probably uncanny and difficult to read, and no, there is not tl;dr section. :shrug:

EDIT:

I think this is the big difference between teachers and students. Students feel teachers are picking on them and giving them unreasonable grades; teachers feel students don't care and aren't paying attention and have "earned" the grade they have.

I can relate to this. A lot of my teachers, give only semi-good grades because they have to. Sometimes, I just wish we would get teachers comments every quarter. I need it really badly this quarter. The thing is, a grade doesn't say a lot about a student, in my opinion. I know several classmates who work their arse off, yet, can only get as high as C's and B's. But they are working extraordinarily hard. I think teachers notice this, they see that they are working hard to improve, but when parents see the brilliant students that achieve A's and B's, they feel their own child is not working hard enough. I know this from personal experience, so you know. There are many of my classmates that don't work much at all, I used to be one of these when it came to math, yet are capable of achieving A+'s all year. Unfortunately, my skill in this situation has lessened, and I begin to do worse and worse. With that in mind, my grades go down. But every time I get a test grade back (this year at least), my math teacher has told me to be proud of myself, because he sees improvement, he sees that I am working hard to do much better. However, my parents see otherwise, which has begun to be a problem. The thing is, my parents never see me work, mainly because I'm always in my room and can not stand working downstairs with so many possible distractions, and I've told them this. Now, I've been striving for at least all B's, not so good as all A's and B's, but at least all B's, and am getting there every day. I know several of my teachers see me improving, in fact my philosophy teacher probably was the one who saw me improve most, I raised my grade from a D- to a C (huge for me at least), well, actually, it was more of an F to a B on my essay work, which was what the class revolved around, but obviously, there has to be time for improvement, so it averages out. Anyways, I just wish parents could see that their students do work hard, and teachers do grade harshly, especially at my school. Several of my teachers rarely ever give out A-'s to anyone, which is understandable, as several of the teachers here were former professors, and come to expect higher quality material, college quality homework, from high school students.

Like Marv said, teachers really are secretaries when it comes to the gradebook - what they do AFTER the assessment though is what's important. For instance, when I teach something, I try to make sure the kids really understand it before moving on. If someone didn't, I make sure to remediate and reteach it. A lot of teachers just move on.
This is part of my argument of learning vs. doing (in the whole getting paid fashion). This is why I love one of my teachers, because even though we have a curriculum that we're supposed to follow, he always takes the time to make sure everyone understands the material. If I were to get paid, I don't think I would fully understand the material, I would just memorize, and get by, without knowledge of why it's true, or false, or whatever.

Okay, I think I'm done for now.

bigred76
01-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Leed, this is not Vike's English class... work on summarizing, please. Just looking at that's hurting my head. :crazy:

I guess it's my turn to go... *yes, there will be a TL;DR section because I'm that nice.

Basically, I feel that teachers are good people in general; there are a few bad ones out there, but the majority is good. Heck, I have a few family friends that are teachers. One's the profesor of Geology at SJSU (San Jose State University). I have gotten the wonderful opportunity of being a mentor for my Carpentry class at the vocational school I go to, and it's tough work that teachers do. Not even just in class, but the outside work like grading is hell on Earth. It is rewarding, even though most wont see it.

Take the class I mentor in, for instance. Teaching a kid to frame up a wall when he's never held a hammer before is just amazing when the next day the person comes in and just goes to town, building their entire set of walls. The look on the child's face when "it clicks" is just as rewarding.

Students just don't see that side of the drama that is school life. They don't appreciate that, or, even worse, just don't pay attention enough to see it. Kids are like that nowadays, though. They sit in class, listening to their iPods, and just tune out the teacher that is working their underpayed asses off trying to educate a class of people in a subject that is valuble to them and obviously not to the students. They (myself included at times, it's part of immaturity) just don't see the need in the subject at hand and disrespect the teacher in ways they have no idea of simply by not listening.

I personally get bad grades. Why? I feel that too many teahers assign "off the cuff" assignments for the students/classes that just aren't paying attention and haven't learned it already. I am a quick learner: once is enough for me. Anything more (all this practice bull ****) is unneccesary. Because of my lack of interest in homework, I am doomed to go into these "dumbed down" classes, even though my testing scores show that I am way up there as far as my grade level's intelligence goes. This year, I really don't care that I get A's and B's (except in the only class I value and really am finding use in, Carpentry), just that I pass the class so I can graduate and move on with life. Schooling has really no use for me: my writing is excellent, my knowledge of history is far superior to most of my teachers (only one teacher has taught me something in the past four years in that subject), my math is average (I don't care for anything much higher than Trig, don't need it in my field of work), and my practical knowledge of mechanics far surpasses that of most.

What makes me different from another student in this manner? I let my teachers know, usually in a one-on-one conversation, the way I feel and talk it out with them so they understand my point of view. Some don't like it and just choose to ignore my words and take it as a disrespect, and others take it to heart and aren't hurt when I sleep through their fifth explanation of the same chapter of the book that we did for the last two weeks because the other students just don't get it. I understand how my teachers get my grades, and I personally don't mind them giving me a "D" as it's considered passing. If I felt like applying myself, I'd be appalled at the grades I'm currently getting. However, there is no point in this year of trying to do anything, so I'm just doing what I want to and passing classes as I choose. All of my teachers but one are fine with that, and grade accordingly.

TL;DR: Students disrespect hard working teachers without realizing it. You get what you earned, stop *****ing about it. I get bad grades because I don't feel like working on remedial ****, and completely agree with the teachers about my grades as a result.

Theheroguy
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not getting money I'm getting a pm6 if I get straight a's and for all you I let my kids go out with their friends as a reward people. My parents rarely if ever let me go out with my friends. The only things I'm allowed to do sunday evening to thursday evening are study, do homework, do housework, and read. That why I don't usually come on the forums mid-week I'm not allowed to. I can only use the computer if it is school related.
Btw I already have good work ethic that why I'm an honor student.
edit I think I'm going to ask my mom for a pmr and halo also. (I don't like how the pulse or vlocity look)

leed
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not getting money I'm getting a pm6 if I get straight a's and for all you I let my kids go out with their friends as a reward people. My parents rarely if ever let me go out with my friends. The only things I'm allowed to do sunday evening to thursday evening are study, do homework, do housework, and read. That why I don't usually come on the forums mid-week I'm not allowed to. I can only use the computer if it is school related.
Btw I already have good work ethic that why I'm an honor student.
edit I think I'm going to ask my mom for a pmr and halo also. (I don't like how the pulse or vlocity look)

Sooo... Basically you're saying your parents are paying for you because you're going broke? :confused:

Theheroguy
01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
no the just wanted to do something nice for me once and my mom isn't both of my parents

Hossy
01-21-2007, 06:36 AM
If my bro gets straight a's he gets $650-$700 in ion ups and everything he could want for paintball.

Just for the record, there ripping you off here...well i wouldnt say ripping you off because i dont think people should get rewarded for stuff they do with alot of money wise.

PM6's go for ~450 used

Theheroguy
01-21-2007, 07:02 AM
I will never buy used again after what happened with me before. Also I think that my parents would find it benith them to buy a used marker they can e real snobs.

Also my brother needs stuff more than me. I'm trying to give him the upgrade bug.

Hossy
01-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I will never buy used again after what happened with me before. Also I think that my parents would find it benith them to buy a used marker they can e real snobs.

what happend with you before

*EM1-Master*
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I think this thread officially has the longest responses in the history of SOC.

leed
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah.. You're probably right... -sigh-.