PDA

View Full Version : High voltage switches/PSU's

Hob Hayward
01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
So my friend and I have been playing around with the capacitors you can get from disposable cameras at CVS (they give away for free). We build an eleven capcitor bank of 330v 120uF, and have been using it to power a small coilgun and a small rail gun, but we need more power. So rather than just getting more CVS caps, my friend went and bought 10 450v 2200uF off ebay. Only trouble we have no is building the charging circuitry and getting some supplies rated to this kind of voltage.

Anyone have an experience with this kind of stuff?

BTW yes I am aware that touching even one of these caps has the power to possibly kill you. Not to mention the whole bank of them. My friend calculated the power of the new bank to be 2230J compared to 72J for our older bank.

Also calculated was the fact that we could fire a 50g projectile 600mph. (theoretically, thats without air resistance etc.)

Halucin8
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
i worked as a lineman for the elctric company and all i can say is be careful man. being hit by electricity isn't fun. but definitely sound interesting. if ya live and get it working post up a vid or 2

Nenkitsune
01-19-2007, 07:43 PM
what have you been using so far to charge the cap bank?

*EM1-Master*
01-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Pics and diagrams plz :)