PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Delrin bolts with Orings...

STRIKEFIRST
01-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Amongst the debate to lube or not lube orings on a delrin bolt here is some clarification for Alamo City Paintball bolts...

FYI

According to ACP the grade of FDA approved food grade delrin that they use will not swell or "get funky" if lubed.

So...Slick'em up boys!

Hossy
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
i still wouldnt oil a ACS bolt....
for all my spyder uses the answer is PB gun oil

Hob Hayward
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
As I presumed, only cheap or crappy delrin will swell from lube.

Sandman_Bravo
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Slick Honey, good for o-rings:

"Slickoleum is running ahead of the competition when it comes to lubricating Seals and O-rings that have linear movement. Why? Because Slickoleum tremendously reduces the static drag and breakaway force. Slickoleum has premium additive packages that has properties to reduce friction. An inherent feature of the additives is the ability to adhere and impregnate to the surface pores of the object that needs lubrication. The low to medium temperature range makes this product an outstanding choice for cold weather applications for the simple reason that you are insured total lubrication when your machine is stone cold. Slickoleum is safe to use on elastomers, MCU elastomers, buna O rings and seals. Slickoleum is calcium based, which is considered to be water proof. With the anti corrosion additive Slickoleum makes a good application for extreme wet mucky conditions."

(from their web-site)

I have always used lube on my stock ACS and my Bandit bolt, with no adverse reactions. We had a debate on this issue last year in the Pilot section I believe.

STRIKEFIRST
01-18-2007, 05:08 AM

I only lube the O rings.

turbo chicken
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I use ATF for all my oiling needs for my markers ... and have for 10 years ... you just cant beat 1.00 a quart lube ...

shunut
01-24-2007, 01:23 PM
There are 2 types of Delrin. There is an open cell delrin and a closed cell delrin. The open cell delrin is a cheaper delrin and when oiled because the cells are "open" they can absorb the oil and swell. Many people use it and there is nothing wrong with it, you just don't want to lube it. Closed cell delrin is the opposite. Its a more expensive delrin and the cells are "closed" so they cannot absorb oil so when you do oil them they do not absorb the oil. Example, Planet Eclipse uses a closed cell delrin to make the bolts for their Egos, thats why they say to lube their bolts. Moral of the story, if the instructions say to oil the bolt, oil it, it is probably closed cell delrin and needs the oil. If it says not to, its open cell, so don't oil it.

WhatThaSmurf
01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
So it all comes down to whether or not people read the manual? Amazing! I just can't comprehend that following the instructions for something could, maybe, possibly, make it easier to use. :dodgy:

Oscum Guy
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
i lube the spring system thing of my acs bolt.

Oscum Guy
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
There are 2 types of Delrin. There is an open cell delrin and a closed cell delrin. The open cell delrin is a cheaper delrin and when oiled because the cells are "open" they can absorb the oil and swell. Many people use it and there is nothing wrong with it, you just don't want to lube it. Closed cell delrin is the opposite. Its a more expensive delrin and the cells are "closed" so they cannot absorb oil so when you do oil them they do not absorb the oil. Example, Planet Eclipse uses a closed cell delrin to make the bolts for their Egos, thats why they say to lube their bolts. Moral of the story, if the instructions say to oil the bolt, oil it, it is probably closed cell delrin and needs the oil. If it says not to, its open cell, so don't oil it.
what about the acs bolt. are they open cell? can you tell by looking at the bolt?

Drefish99
01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
If you must lube a bolt I would suggest using TriFlow. You can usually get it at a bike store and works great with Delrin bolts. It's the standard for Timmy bolts.

Hob Hayward
01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Hmm, I have some tri-flow because my dad's a bike nut, but I've never used it before. I believe Dow33 is designed to prevent swelling. Its what I use on my Nylatron bolt, and it helps the breach seal quite a bit.

shunut
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
You don't want to use dow on your bolt. Dow can cause swelling and will. For the most parts on bolts you want to use a light weight oil.

what about the acs bolt. are they open cell? can you tell by looking at the bolt?

I'm pretty sure Kingman says not to lube their delrin bolts so I wouldn't.

DRAGON
01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I use 100% silicone RC car shock oil. It comes in different grades from like 10W to 100W and is relatively inexpensive. I've been using it on my Imp for years now. You can find it at any hobby shop that sells RC cars and trucks. I also use it on the rubber detents and VS reg. Just put a couple drops in the on/off ASA and run it through just as you would paintball oil in other Spyder's. Using any silicone based oil or grease short of Dow55 should be fine. Dow55 has lithium grease mixed into it intentionally to swell o-rings. A light coat of Dow33 on the o-rings should work just fine. If the bolt has an o-ring on it, you have to use some sort of lubricant at least on the o-ring -

Hob Hayward
01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
You don't want to use dow on your bolt. Dow can cause swelling and will. For the most parts on bolts you want to use a light weight oil.

I'm pretty sure Kingman says not to lube their delrin bolts so I wouldn't.

I thought dow33 was anti-swelling and dow55 was a swellant, maybe I'm wrong, but the bolt works great with dow33 on it.

I can personally say that I've put goldcup on my ACS before and it didn't swell, or at least not enough to make it tight in the body *cough*badtolerances*cough*. Hell, maybe swelling the ACS would help it (don't do it though, you never know what would happen). I dunno, its likely that kingman uses various grades of delrin, but also knowing them, they'd be using open cell if it was cheaper. I don't recall ever having seen something saying "don't put oil on your delrin bolt" hell, for the sake of newbs, they might use closed cell to prevent swelling mishaps.