PDA

View Full Version : Archery

Theheroguy
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
After my leg heals I'm planning to get into archery. Everywhere I read that a recurve or compound bow is the best choice for I begginer. What some other stuff I should know and look for my dad and I don't sound like total noobs when we go to the store.

Hob Hayward
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a pretty nice recurve that I don't use often enough. I'd sugest a recurve bow over a compound, though if you want a compound they are kinda cool, more expensive though. One suggestion is don't buy CF or fiberglass arrows, they can split unexpectantly, and potentially you could end up wiith a half a fiberglass arrow going into your forearm, not fun. Get aluminium arrows.

I need a good place to shoot other than my yard, because arrows get lost and its not fun looking for them, especially when they're each $10 custom arrows.

kidonfire
01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
When I did archery I used a recurve. If I remember right the compoud bow is made for hunting. I can be used for archery, but I think it was made for hunting. There is a system that at the end of the "pull" the tension lightens so you can hold it for a longer time. I would suggest getting a recurve. If you eventually decide to hunt you'll probably want a compound bow.

bigred76
01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I prefer a compound bow to a recurve because of what KidOnFire described. It's great to be able to hold back a 100lb bow like it was a 15lb. :D A recruve is way cheaper than a compound, and is better if you're on a budget. I personally use my compound for both hunting and on ranges, but it's killer on hay bales and arrows.... Puts arrows down to the notch most times. :-/

FredPo
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
That poundage difference that is being talked about is called "let-off." Most bows when I shot competitively ( I placed 11th in the world tournament of archery and was sponsored by High Country American) was around 65% let-off. Some of the bows now come w/ 85% let-off. If you are looking for a top notch compound bow, you'll want to look into a matthews, PSE (precision shooting equiptment, Browning, and High Country. All of these are great companies. As for accessories, you'll want to buy a rest, peep-sight, a release (goes on your wrist), and a pin-sight. Make sure someone helps you figure out your draw-length before you buy a bow. For instance my draw length is a 29" draw length and my bow had to be tuned for my specific draw length. Make sure they set you up w/ the correct draw length and make sure your arrows are designed to be shot w/ your draw length and poundage you'll be shooting on your bow. Welcome to Archery.

Fred

albertjackson99
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Don't know anything about Bows, but my Wife was shot through the leg with an arrow by her brother. I believe it was with a compound bow.

druid
01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been using bows for target and hunting since I was 11 (1981) and while I never competed as Fred did, I have become quite fond of archery in general. When I started archery I used a semi recurve. When I got into hunting I got (and still use) a compound. I use a PSE, 68 lb draw, with carbon arrows and Muzzy broadheads.
Semi recurves and recurves are cheaper and I like the way the laminated limbs feel and shoot (over composite).
Aluminum arrows are heartier to shoot but heavy to hunt with. There's nothing wrong with them though, used them for years.
Good ceder arrows are nice too but expensive.
Compound bows (let off) allows you to hold your shot longer for when your game animal moves and you might need to adjust your hold.

DFSniper
01-17-2007, 06:56 AM
ive been shooting compounds since i was 10 or 12. i've used the aluminum arrows from wal-mart the whole time and my dad and i have never had problems with them.