PDA

View Full Version : Oh CRAP! I dropped my VS2!

DRAGON
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I bought a Shocker drop from Vik quite a while ago for my Imp. Little did I know the dovetail wasn't remotely the same. Threw it in my spare parts box and almost forgot about it. Thinking about a drop for my VS2, I thought it was impossible to match the dovetail Kingman has on their new reg on the VS's. Just happened to stumble upon the Shocker drop and it didn't quite fit. After Investing a little time into it I made it fit and it's now pretty much the perfect match for the new Kingman reg. I'll just show some pics tonight but tell you a few more details about what I did to make it fit tomorrow. It's getting late and gotta hit the rack for now. The existing ano will be stripped and reanoed after I'm completely done with it -

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/mushroomzer/vsdrop2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/mushroomzer/vsdrop3.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/mushroomzer/vsdrop.jpg

I'm not done sanding it and all yet but it's a good start. For those of you seeking a drop for your VS markers, there's light at the end of the tunnel - :D

vikingshadow
01-16-2007, 03:26 AM
I totally forgot I sold that to you. Good to see it's found a new use!

vwjimmy
01-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Very nice D....looks great!!! :)

Opteron-O3
01-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Awsome!

Theheroguy
01-16-2007, 07:37 AM
aww!! I thought you dropped it and wanted forum people to help. Don't know how I could help a mod though.

kidonfire
01-16-2007, 11:52 AM
aww!! I thought you dropped it and wanted forum people to help. Don't know how I could help a mod though.

Oh, mods don't know everything. Just 99% :rolleyes:. Hmmm...What does it take to be a part of the mod squad? I want to know almost everything too!

j/k

Anyway, good job! I wanna see pic's soon.

Hob Hayward
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
LoL I also had thought someone had dropped their VS and then broken it...

Nice worth though Drago.

bigred76
01-16-2007, 04:38 PM
:yeahthat: Approximately how much did you have to take off of it? Looks good!

DRAGON
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Makay, for the more info stuff: In the stock state, the reg does not fit the drop grooves. I had to use a dremel and cutting disk to slightly deepen the grooves of the drop. Seems that the dovetail of the reg is just a bit thicker across the top flanges -

The front portion of the drop grooves are rounded the same as the reg dovetail. That's one reason this drop is matched pretty well with the reg. I dremeled that part of the groove as well -

Initially the rear portion of the drop hung over the end of the reg about 1/2" - 3/4". I just ground that portion off with a belt sander in a few minutes, filed it then sanded it smooth. If you don't have access to a belt sander, filing it then sanding it would be your best bet -

The holes in the drop for the attaching screws match up perfectly with the holes in the bottom of the trigger frame. I beleive these frames have been milled and not cheaply cast like the old Spyder frames so the screws should have no prob holding everything up. Once I have it anodized I will use blue Loctite on them so they won't eventually rattle out. I'm pretty sure the screw threads in the frame are American standard as well so it shouldn't be too tough finding screws of the right thread and length. Not absolutely sure about the threads though -

If you don't have the resources to have this anodized, you could always just sand the ano off and polish the drop -

I have a couple 68/4500's to use with this and it's OK w/o the drop but this will make the marker nice and tight to my body when shooting. It's a very small drop and small forward so it's perfect for me. I'm not sure you can find any aftermarket drops at all that fit this reg. Was nice to stumble upon this one -

Drefish99
01-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh how I miss it when Drago mods shtuff.... It always comes out so perty.

hamgumball
02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I was wondering how you got the macro line to fit? It seems like you'd need a 45 degree fitting if you installed it.

DRAGON
02-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I have still yet to install it permanently. I haven't even got to use my VS on the field yet. I hope to use it this weekend if it doesn't rain. I have retrofitted it and ya, the macro fittings are pushed closer together. The line will need to be cut and there is a slight jog in the line. The 90* fittings will work just fine. Don't think there are any 45* swivel macroline fittings. I will be getting the body and drop anodized before I attach the drop permanently. I will be using it stock for now -

hamgumball
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I tried to test fit my drop forward but that was a problem i ran into, that and my drop forward didnt have the right bolt patterns. I have seen 45 degree brass fittings that would probably work best and eliminate the jog. You should look into it if you are interested, that is probably the route im going to go.

shunut
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh, mods don't know everything.

Says who?

Looks good Drago.

DRAGON
02-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I tried to test fit my drop forward but that was a problem i ran into, that and my drop forward didnt have the right bolt patterns. I have seen 45 degree brass fittings that would probably work best and eliminate the jog. You should look into it if you are interested, that is probably the route im going to go.

I have a chromed brass 45* fitting right in front of me but all it'll do is make the line fittings closer together. You can find these filttings in hardware store plumbing sections. So the drop you have has a Spyder staggered bolt pattern? Does it have a dove tail that'll fit the VS reg? -

shu....let them think we don't know squat. It's great to be underestimated. Makes our work that much easier - ;)

hamgumball
02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
The dove tail does fit in the sense that you dont have to deepen the grooves like you did, but the inner part is square, not round like on the bottom of the trigger frame. So yes it does fit in that sense, but you'd still have to modify the dove tail and round off the top part a bit.

DRAGON
04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Well Imma bring this thread back up since I finally got the drop anodized. I was going to get the body done as well but got the Virtue board which delayed that. I had the anodizer just....drop this in with another batch he had going in the mean time. Here's what I have thus far..........

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p39e6b784b06476022acd2e642cc45cda/e9b2faf1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p68e30dc94ae91424c329873d0884eba5/e9b2f99b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc29e599c50ec2eadb86eb2e1fc4d3bfb/e9b2f8d0.jpg

I attached it loosely when I started this thread and it felt alright. Now that I have it attached well this thing is perfect for me. The holes in the bottom of the trigger frame line up perfectly with the Shocker drop holes. I needed a special screw for it but I alredy had ones of that type laying around the ton of paintball stuff I have here. The bottle tucks in my shoulder well with the slant and all and brings everything forward so I can tuck my arms rather than being more extended without it. Now all I need is the body done and me tinks I'll be teh only one on the block w/an all black VS2 -

Opteron-O3
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Really nice :thumbup:

yod3r
04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
looking good