PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Wal-Mart paint?

Triple xXx
01-14-2007, 01:47 AM
What is wrong with buying balls from Wal-Mart??????:confused:

I always hear people say not to buy it, but why not?

There is a paintball field right across the street from Wal-Mart where I live.

Paint moves out of there all day and all night.

So I never understood why people say what they say about Wal-Mart paint.

The question should be what is best brand to buy at Wal-Mart.

vikingshadow
01-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Wal-Mart carries paint that I would consider the lowest grade being made. At a field, it'd be known as practice or rec grade, and probably cost about half what Wal-Mart charges.

The problem with it is that it's usually very old by the time the stores put it on the shelf. Old paint equals dents, misshapen balls and either very hard or very brittle shells. This results in severe welts, balls that fly all over the place except straight, and broken paint inside your gun. The fill you get from that paint is usually watery, and easy to wipe off or hide, so that's not good either.

They also aren't known for handling the boxes with care, soit's not unusual to find at least one broken ball per bag in every box they sell. When I bought paint there, I would open boxes until I found two bags of undamaged paint - it would drive the employees NUTS! But, if you're going to spend 20 plus bucks on paint, you have to check it out!

Now, I used to use Dusk and Scorch from Wal-Mart. I actually love shooting Dusk - sort of reminds me of Xball a bit, but with a thicker shell. I absolutely hate any of their "Streak" paint - Blue Streak, Wild Streak, Animal Streak, whatever it's called - the paint is marble hard and the fill is water with a drop of dye MAYBE in it.

The best brand - people are going to have different opinions, and it really depends on whether the paint is in good shape in the first place. Then, it depends on how well the paint fits your barrel - if it's too big, it's going to break a lot in your barrel. If it's too small, you won't get breaks, but it may not fly as well as it should.

Personally, as far as their best, I think Scorch is in the top 3. It's made by Game Face and it was always round for me, had good shell, thick pink fill (which everyone knows is the best color, LOL!) and came in a hard case of 1500 for only about 25.00. Next would be that RPS paint they sell - dang, I can't remember the name of it. The shell has green and blue swirls through it....it's one of their more expensive brands...I'll probably think of it later.

STRIKEFIRST
01-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Besides what viking stated...

It is hard to make money owning a paintball shop...places like Chain sporting goods stores, chain mega stores have zero expertise when it comes to our sport nor as corporations do they care to...I'd rather buy less paint at a better quality and support someone that promotes the sport of paintball...someone you can develop a relationship with and help each other along the way.

Ok im off the soap box.

ShadowX
01-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Superswirls vike?

I agree with vike on the Scorch, it is good paint and is only between 35-40 a case from Wal-Mart..

STRIKEFIRST
01-14-2007, 06:59 AM
I get pmi rampage for 35 at my local shop...I love the stuff.

*EM1-Master*
01-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Next would be that RPS paint they sell - dang, I can't remember the name of it. The shell has green and blue swirls through it....it's one of their more expensive brands...I'll probably think of it later.
Marbs?

clickclicksplat
01-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Marbs?
One, marbs blow, and two, Wal-Mart doesn't sell it :p

I'm pretty sure he means super swirl.

As far as buying from Wal-Mart versus buying from my local shop, well, my local shop doesn't carry any kind of paint at less then $45-$50 a crate. Granted, it's good paint, but I'm not playing tourney ball, and I find for rec play or woodsball Scorch, Visible Impact and Big Ball are perfectly fine to use, and they're cheap to boot. Monster Ball is nice and cheap and can be ok when you're low on cash, but stay the hell away from anything else made by brass eagle.

And like vike said, make sure you have them cut open the boxes until you get unbroken paint. Although to be honest I've never (knock on wood) gotten broken paint at Wal-Mart.

Triple xXx
01-14-2007, 08:13 AM
So where is the best place to buy paint from?

Action Village.com has: Diablo Heat Paintballs - 2000 Rounds-White fill for $34.95

Order Paintball.com has: 32 Degrees 2000 Rounds- 06 Team Colors Playoff Paintballs for $34.95

Any good?

vikingshadow
01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't like either of those choices. Just never had good luck with either of them.

You guys are right - it's Super Swirls. They aren't bad - the fill is weak, but otherwise not bad.

*EM1-Master*
01-14-2007, 09:33 AM
One, marbs have been some of the most consistantly good paintballs I've ever used.
Two, Wally World does sell marbs around here.

I've never used anything from Walmart, but yeah... I generally order online with some friends... Saves money...

Maxx-Damage
01-14-2007, 09:43 AM
The real question is what isnt wrong with with Wally-World Paint. My friends that i play with made the mistake of buy monster balls, and some other pbs from there and they had so many chops that day. It was rediculous
But I buy my pb from richards in a white bucket, 2000 for $34 and its not to bad. So i think that makes me super agg for buying a bucket of paint....

Halucin8
01-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I shoot the visible impact form wally world and love it. thick pink fill and so far no dents when i have bought it. the local field only sells stingers at 45 a case and my pilot eats them for lunch then throws up out the barrel. In my buddies a-5 they are awesome so i guess it just depends on the marker. try em all and find what works for what you got. An if your wally world has a quick turn around on paint you may not be getting some of the older crap that others are getting

calebh
01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
you say that your walmart is always selling paint, so the turnover should be good enough that you'll get fresh paint. i do the same as vike. i sit there for about 20 minutes to find a decent box before i buy anything. but like vike said, you could probly find some rec paint at your local shop for < $40 a case, and you the employees will understand when you open up the boxes to check for breaks lol. strikefirst has a point, too. support an actual paintball shop before you support a place that's not around to help the sport of paintball.

El Duche
01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
they are an anti union organization for starters. But I can't really say it any better. support your local pro shop when you get the opprotunity. They are the ones who care about the sport. They also are one of the few people who know what they're doing when it comes to repairs without having to send your gun to the manufacturer. My shop used to offer a lifetime labor policy where if my gun that I bought there ever broke, all I'd have to do is pay for the part and they'd fix it. If you buy a part for your gun or your loader and you don't know how to put it in or don't feel up to it they used to do it for free. not sure if they still will do free installs but they will give you lifetime labor for 20 bucks. That in itself is well worth the extra money you pay over buying online, from a sporting goods store or from wal mart. Also the people at your pro shop are some of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met when it comes to guns and upgrades. the get it now factor is also nice if you need somethign the day before you have to go play.

off the rant and back to paint. My shop used to carry shrapnel at the amazing price of 30 bucks a case. Very sweet deal and with a field that allowed BYOP I could get a day of play in for 50 bucks. You might want to also think about supporting your local field by paying more than the field fee by buying paint from them. Doing so means that the field you enjoy playing at will be around longer.

as Vike said, blue streak is some hard stuff. woodsballers love it though cause it'll fly through all kinds of brush and possibly a few small saplings.

tater_salad
01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8379
There is a poll I made to see what people think is the best Wal-Mart paint.