PDA

View Full Version : Empire Reloader 2 magnetic lid HELP!

darth massacre
01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Dragon and other mods, I dunno if this is the best forum for this so please move if you guys deem fit.

I've got an Empire Reloader 2 and its gone thru its fair share of wear and tear. While fixing one part of the broken loader, I noticed for the first time that one of the 2 magnets holding the lid close is missing. Its not a real problem since I don't go all John Woo when playing paintball, but I'd like a more secure fit for my lid as it was before.

I dunno if I can order one small button magnet (or an entire new lid) from Empire.

So I'm gonna have to ask if anyone has a completely totalled Empire Reloader 2 lying around so I can cannibalize parts. I would be willing to pay a fair price for it.

Other options I have would be to purchase a speed loading neck for the hopper. I'm not sure I want that for now.

linkman_11
01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I would buy a small magnet, or cut one up and hot glue it to the hopper,may work.

Graffiti
01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
You can replace the magnet you lost with a rare earth magnet. Go to Radio Shack ans ask for small RARE EARTH MAGNETS. They are just the right size and real strong. (2 to a package) Approximately $2 - $4 dollars.

I had a problem with my empire II, the top coming open when I had to dive in during a game. I took a dremel and carfully cut away the plastic over the magnet inside the top of the loader to match the size of the rare earth magnet. Then inserted the earth magnet which grabbed tight and flush, then I put a drop of super glue just in case. The original magnets on the lid stick to them like no body's business. The lid only comes open when I want it to now. I had an extra rare earth magnet and just put it on top of the magnet that holds the lid open which made it more effective in staying open when you want it to.

Good luck
God Bless Us
Graffiti

darth massacre
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey thanks for the idea - I'll look into it. I play scenario style mostly so I can still live with the loss of one magnet, but it's pretty annoying.

Sandman_Bravo
01-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I was at a dollar store the other day, and there was a cheap version of the kids' magnetix toys there. (you know, there are plastic pieces with magnets and metal balls you assemble like legos) It appeared the magnets used in them were nearly identical to the hopper ones. $1 for a handful of replacement magnets... hmmmm...

darth massacre
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey that's a really cost effective solution. I'd check them out when I get the chance to. But I found some interesting ideas at the most unlikely places.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/

MVS1
01-28-2007, 03:02 PM
I was at a dollar store the other day, and there was a cheap version of the kids' magnetix toys there. (you know, there are plastic pieces with magnets and metal balls you assemble like legos) It appeared the magnets used in them were nearly identical to the hopper ones. $1 for a handful of replacement magnets... hmmmm...
I used the magnets from one of my kids discarded toys for my trigger mod and egg hopper door mod and they worked great. I've got about 30 of them left if anybody wants a couple of sets pm me your address and I'll send them to ya. I'll even cover the cost of a stamp. Rather hhave somebody get some use out of them than throw them away.

wbpaintball
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
INFO: Instead of a spring which the old Reloader B had, small powerful magnets were added to the lid and at key points inside the body. When the lid is closed, two pairs of magnets on either side near the back, keep it secure. When it is opened a magnet in its connecting neck grabs onto a magnet in the top of the loader body, holding it in place.

Well I had almost the same small problem with my Empire Reloader 2 having the lid pop open during a game and losing 200 paintballs so I wanted to fix it so it never happened again. The lid is magnetic and does work pretty well but I wanted it to work better. The magnets are very strong but the problem is the 2 magnets on the body are under plastic and that really reduced the effectiveness of the magnets. I went to Radio Shack and found these super powerful and small Rare earth magnets and mounted them on top of the original magnets but on the ouside of the body with super glue. Now when you close the lid the magnets on the lid touch the magnets on the body and the result is amazing! The lid stays down way better now and there is no way it will pop open again during play.

darth massacre
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
PM coming your way MSV1!!!

Sandman Bravo - I went to walmart just now and checked out the Magnetix - Seems like the magnets are a bit on the small side. They will fit into the slot but not without a huge glob of hot melt glue.

Sandman_Bravo
01-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Great! The dollar store versions I saw looked identical.