PDA

View Full Version : Ion's and their popularity

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I know almost all of u know this, but ions are TOO popular. Everyone has one. There is a Paintball club/group thing at school, and everyone has an ion, except me (but I still own half of them with my stock imagine). But I mean, I understand, they are a good gun, but they aren't the best looking, or the fastest shooting. So why do they have to be sooooo popular?

TacTownKilla
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Cheap gun, good features. 250 dollar gun with eyes, ramping, ep, etc.

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I know, but I mean, I just dont understand it. Maybe its just me, but I like putting those things in myself, gives me a sense of customization, and that takes it all out

Muddytaco
01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
There is alot of customization that can be done to the ion. Take me for instance if i buy a new board and a new breech i will have enough stock parts to have a stock ion again has a backup, I don't think it get much more custom then that. I think that the ion is what the autococker use to be 5-6 years ago in terms of customizing your gun to fit you.

DRAGON
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
........... Everyone has one............

I don't and haven't and won't -

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Some people don't im just sayin that a LOT of people do

phatphil
01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
They really are a revolution, you can have the performance of a matrix for a fraction of the cost of a new DM. You can up your Spyder as much as you want but it will still have more kick then an Ion. Kick is pretty much the most important factor in buying a tournament paintball gun (everything else is on the same playing field with any gun - consistency/reg, barrel, etc.). No, it doesn't have anything to do with "being weak" or "not being able to take the kick of a real gun", like some of the woodsball kiddies (and adults :() like to say. The lack of kick improves your accuracy at high rates of fire. This is why most high end guns seem to shoot a nice accurate rope (shooting fast), a lot more accurately then a blowback.

maximus100389
01-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't see what the problem is for you; you don't have to buy one. They are inexpensive, they have plenty of features, they don't have mechanical problems, and they are customizable.

You said they aren't the best looking, who really cares if you can pwn with one? And even though they aren't the FASTEST on the market, they still shoot 17 bps, and if you ask me that is plenty fast enough.

Honestly, I couldn't care about the plastic looking body, and anyone i play against wouldnt care either since all they are going to see is paint in their face.

ricochet08
01-16-2006, 05:15 PM
anyone i play against wouldnt care either since all they are going to see is paint in their face.

qft :)

colonel_moo
01-16-2006, 05:21 PM
they are the best thing you can get for under 300. its that simple.

Drefish99
01-16-2006, 05:28 PM
ION's are poopy. Shoot a Spyder. They ROCK!!!!

durrell
01-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Everyone has summed up what I would say. You can buy an Ion and slap an aluminum body on it and you have a 400 dollar Shocker, simple as that. I personally dont have a problem with the Ion bodies..

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I know all of this. Im not stupid. Im just sayin that they are just too...i dont know, almost OVERpopulated. I mean its a good gun and all, but they have literally taken over

maximus100389
01-16-2006, 05:45 PM
well i dont mind if i have the same gun as everyone else, if that's what you mean

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Thats exactly what I mean. I mean i know some people dont. But, it would bug me, if everyone on your team, or in your game had the same gun

maximus100389
01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
well if your gun is your phallic symbol (my god, i actually used a vocabulary word from my english class) then you probably wouldnt like having an Ion. i mean, of course you want to stand out as a player, i do it different ways than the type of gun i shoot. but whatever way you choose is up to you. so if you want to stand out by your type of gun, whether its the best on the market or the wildest custom gun there is, then do it.

DRAGON
01-16-2006, 06:22 PM
well if your gun is your phallic symbol (my god, i actually used a vocabulary word from my english class) then you probably wouldnt like having an Ion. i mean, of course you want to stand out as a player, i do it different ways than the type of gun i shoot. but whatever way you choose is up to you. so if you want to stand out by your type of gun, whether its the best on the market or the wildest custom gun there is, then do it.

Ya, my gun's big and heavy, shoots like a cannon and the women love it, i mean me . Did I mention I'm purdee too? - :silly:

ION's are poopy. Shoot a Spyder. They ROCK!!!!

None of these guys will even become mods here will they Dre? - ;)

spyderimagine01
01-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats not how i want to stand out, or do. Im just sayin it would bug me, and i know it had to bug some other people too

vikingshadow
01-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok, my thoughts. I personally don't like the ION. Doesn't feel right to me, although I've never shot one that was up'd to any extreme. The three or four I did play with though didn't suit me. However, I have and had teammates with them that love them. All preference, dude.

OVER abundance of IONS? Nah, that's like saying there's an overabundance of Tippmans or Spyders. It's a popular gun, and it shoots paintballs at or under 300 fps at a fast rate of fire, so it's good. I say, who cares what anyone shoots, just so long as they shoot?

In my opinion, I think the people on the Nation and other forums that have CONSTANTLY attacked IONs have personally caused this hate ION thing...and most haven't even touched one yet! I mean, come on!

First it was Hate IONs because it's a Smart Parts gun, then it was Hate IONS because they were plastic guns, then it was Hate IONs because only noobs shot them (what happened to the spyders and tippmans?) then it was Hate IONs because everyone with one thought they were Gods or something, then it was Hate IONs becuase of the bazillion body kits out there (wasn't that one of the ultimate goals that made people like them in the first place?) then it was Hate IONS because EVERYONE has one.....I say let's Hate IONs because they come in different colors! :dodgy:

Do I want one? No. Will I ever have one? Maybe. Anything's possible.

Just a suggestion, and I don't endorse or care one way or the other, but if you want the popularity of IONs to die down, quit doing the free advertising for Smart Parts. Quit making thread after thread, page after page bashing them. If someone posts an ION video, don't say anything! If someone says they have an ION, say "Great! Let's go play!" The more air time (internet time) it gets - good or bad - the better business is for Smart Parts. Advertising 101 right there. Even bad publicity is good advertising and good for sales....think about it! (By the way, I have a degree and spent a few years in the advertising world, I kinda know what I'm talking about!)

TheRedBarron
01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Thats exactly what I mean. I mean i know some people dont. But, it would bug me, if everyone on your team, or in your game had the same gun

Thats what makes the ion special. Everyone can have the same gun without having hte same gun. there are so many upgrade options its insane (and a little annoying) But I have 3 ions now (2 of them weretourney prizes), not a single one of them looks like the other.

phatphil
01-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Thats what makes the ion special. Everyone can have the same gun without having hte same gun. there are so many upgrade options its insane (and a little annoying) But I have 3 ions now (2 of them weretourney prizes), not a single one of them looks like the other.
So true, with all the aftermarket upgrades Ions are slowly becoming like cockers, hell you can probably build one from scratch without using stock parts now...

Recon by Fire
01-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay, so many like the Ion for the features to cost ratio. That is fine and I can understand, but then they go and say you need to upgrade this, and this, etc...then your lower priced marker is now in the mid-price bracket and you could have just selected something better anyway. Doesn't seem like usch a good idea then.

I just don't like the feel of them, that is the reason I wouldn't get one.

DexGtr
01-16-2006, 06:57 PM
i'm picking up my ION tomorrow....and you people just hurt my feelings...:shrug:

*i want my ball back i'm going home*

i really love what's happening right now...back then people were ragging on customizing spyders and they said it would never amount to anything, well when i made vicki..people were offering me e-mags for it.

now people hate on the ION...hahaha...everybody hates something that's popular..it used to be people hated guys with angels coz they're rich snobs who doesn't know to play...

well what i say is..."DON'T MIND WHAT FOOKING GUN OTHER PEOPLE HAVE, IF YOU HATE ONE TYPE OF GUN SHUT YER MOUTH COZ SOMEBODY ELSE LIKES EM."

i don't like mags and cockers but you don't see me make a post about it do ya?

it's all preference...if we all wanted the same gun there would be only one kind, and that would be pretty boring don't ya think?

DexGtr
01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, so many like the Ion for the features to cost ratio. That is fine and I can understand, but then they go and say you need to upgrade this, and this, etc...then your lower priced marker is now in the mid-price bracket and you could have just selected something better anyway. Doesn't seem like usch a good idea then.

that's what they say about spyders also right? so then why are we upgrading spyders and not all buy shockers and DM6's :confused: :rolleyes:

Ares
01-16-2006, 07:05 PM
nubs called my mag an ion :(

RodeoOwner78
01-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Shoot it if you got it. It really doesn't matter what people shoot as long as they like it and are comfortable with it.

BallerX
01-17-2006, 05:42 AM
We're all putting paint down field, and thats all I care about after the whistle. :D

Ions are a GREAT marker for under $300. You can customize one to your liking, and you can hold your own with one in most situations. You can hold your own with a Spyder too, and customize that the way you want. Ions are so damned popular because they are the new thing. There was no marker doing what the Ion can do out of the box, in that price range, before the Ion came along.

And Phil hit it dead on. The Ion is slowly over coming the cocker in customization. Years ago cockers used to be the hot item. EVERYONE had an autococker when I started playing. It was just as annoying then with cockers, as it is now with the ion. Well, its annoying some people.

claustrophobia9
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
So true, with all the aftermarket upgrades Ions are slowly becoming like cockers, hell you can probably build one from scratch without using stock parts now...
almost.

TheRedBarron
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I cant think of an Ion part that hasnt been replaced by an aftermarket part.

Xecutiv3
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
If you want one, get one, but if you want something different, buy one of these: Wrath, T1, Impulse, Omen, Promaster, each equally as good or better than the Ion and for around the same price.

spyderimagine01
01-17-2006, 02:38 PM
God ****, dude, u guys are making ME sound like the bad guy. All I was doing, was making a conversation. :shrug: I guess it sounds like I was complaining, im just...lol nvm, just drop it. I know about IONs, im not dumb :confused:

TheRedBarron
01-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Didnt say that you were dumb.. Just discussing the topic you started :p

spyderimagine01
01-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I know, but everyone is all, like, i dunno, thinking I know nothing about ions I guess

DexGtr
01-17-2006, 03:29 PM
it's called opening up a can of worms :D

DRAGON
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I know, but everyone is all, like, i dunno, thinking I know nothing about ions I guess

Let me tell you, you do not stand alone on the Ion :butwiggle: thingy -

TheRedBarron
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Let me tell you, you do not stand alone on the Ion :butwiggle: thingy -
Hater :smirk:

DRAGON
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Hater :smirk:

I prefer it to be phrased as 'disliker' lol. :D There are a few in the disliker catagory for me. I suppose everybody has their own little pet peaves, this is one of mine. Just today, the mailman told me that someone around here doesn't like Tippmann's -

Garp
01-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Honestly i hated the ion at first, way too popular, seemed like a gun that was just a popular gun, no performance, then i went and tested it out... Completely changed my mind, i still dont like the plastic shell, does make it feel "cheap" but it has high rates of fire.. It seemed easy to maintain, but i too like customizing my own guns, hence the reason i went with a cocker

maximus100389
01-17-2006, 05:25 PM
does make it feel "cheap"

that's because it is :)

bigred76
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
If you want a gun that you can upgrade exactly to your liking, buy an Ion.

You want a gun that you can use right outa the box without worries, buy a Matrix.

ZippyWilikens286
01-17-2006, 07:21 PM
or a mag....;)

Recon by Fire
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
that's what they say about spyders also right? so then why are we upgrading spyders and not all buy shockers and DM6's :confused: :rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on how much you are upgrading... This probably would not be a popular comment on KUSA but once while talking to a rather well known person in paintball, they commented that it just is not worth it to do that much upgrading to a Spyder and was wasteful. He wasn't being mean or bashing, just his opinion. He also thinks Ion's are complete garbage by the way, LOL (quality and construction issues).

I would consider getting another Spyder over an Ion anyday. I like the construction of the Spyder and they have a more solid feel to them.

DexGtr
01-18-2006, 08:04 AM
If you want a gun that you can upgrade exactly to your liking, buy an Ion.

You want a gun that you can use right outa the box without worries, buy a Matrix.

hehehe that's right.

and cheap? cheap?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/DexGtr/DSC02972-small.jpg

i spent almost $500 already and i'm not even warmed up yet. :p :D

WhatThaSmurf
01-18-2006, 08:29 AM
i spent almost $500 already and i'm not even warmed up yet. :p :D
i hate people with steady cash flows....

paintmaster
01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I still like spyder's better. i mean there are so many aftermarket parts to add to the gun and even the one kit u can turn a spyder into a stock timmy if u had enough money besides the ion looks ugly.

Xecutiv3
01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
That's the thing, theres only so much one can upgrade a Spyder until it becomes a totally different gun.
The Ions can look purty... if you drop $700 into them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ToYSoLD1eR/29515491049.jpg

Drefish99
01-18-2006, 10:54 AM
That's the thing, theres only so much one can upgrade a Spyder until it becomes a totally different gun.
The Ions can look purty... if you drop $700 into them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ToYSoLD1eR/29515491049.jpg

Hey Dex. Ain't that the marker you showed me? Cuz that it Hot!!!. Makes me want to build a custom ION.

rowdyroper2003
01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
the only ion i've ever seen that i really liked was a stormtrooper'd one...if i buy an ion, its gonna feature a white body kit. no other way i'll own one.

DexGtr
01-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey Dex. Ain't that the marker you showed me? Cuz that it Hot!!!. Makes me want to build a custom ION.

yep that's it man. :)

spyderimagine01
01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
See, I mean, its not that they are a bad gun, but its that it isnt cheap. Most people have other lives and cant afford 250(not sure of exact price) for a gun. I mean, I will probably be spending just as much on my syder, but if I paid 250 for upgrades for my spyder, then I would have a pernsonalized gun. Although some people would prefer to have 2 guns, i would rather have one, one that fits my style

DexGtr
01-18-2006, 03:37 PM
See, I mean, its not that they are a bad gun, but its that it isnt cheap. Most people have other lives and cant afford 250(not sure of exact price) for a gun. I mean, I will probably be spending just as much on my syder, but if I paid 250 for upgrades for my spyder, then I would have a pernsonalized gun. Although some people would prefer to have 2 guns, i would rather have one, one that fits my style

this isn't cheap too...this was my spyder before i parted it out....and yes paintball isn't my only life...i have 2 kids and a wife paintball is like near the last on my list...cost me almost $700 if you include parts that were bought then replaced and replaced again, if you include labor on the body then we'll be going toards $1000

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/8016/vicki1-081604.jpg

I could overdo almost anything. :D that thing started out as a Victor.

spyderimagine01
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
That IS my point. See, anyone could come up with something like that, without paying 100 some more dollers, I mean, I dunno, just my opinion and my prefrence I guess.

Nice gun either way :D

DexGtr
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
That IS my point. See, anyone could come up with something like that, without paying 100 some more dollers, I mean, I dunno, just my opinion and my prefrence I guess.

Nice gun either way :D

how could you come out with a gun like that without spending $100 :confused:

didn't you read? i spent $700 on that spyder.

FearSpyders
01-19-2006, 12:17 PM
as someone stated earlier...i think we should just let whom ever shoot what ever they want...its all for the love of the sport...and if you can take your spyder...and hand a bunch of rich kids their own asses while they laugh at you because you're a noob or you're shooting a spyder...then you don't have to make a thread about it...they have the bruises to prove who's better

FearSpyders
01-19-2006, 12:26 PM
this isn't cheap too...this was my spyder before i parted it out....and yes paintball isn't my only life...i have 2 kids and a wife paintball is like near the last on my list...cost me almost $700 if you include parts that were bought then replaced and replaced again, if you include labor on the body then we'll be going toards $1000

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/8016/vicki1-081604.jpg

I could overdo almost anything. :D that thing started out as a Victor.
that gun is sooo shiney...i would almost not want to play with it...id get pissed if i got paint on it

spyderimagine01
01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I never said he didnt spend 100 dollers. I said he saved 100 dollers

spyderimagine01
01-19-2006, 02:09 PM
as someone stated earlier...i think we should just let whom ever shoot what ever they want...its all for the love of the sport...and if you can take your spyder...and hand a bunch of rich kids their own asses while they laugh at you because you're a noob or you're shooting a spyder...then you don't have to make a thread about it...they have the bruises to prove who's better

I think YOU need to shut the **** up. I could own half of the rich *** kids with their timmys and ions. Its 90% player 10% gun.

spyderimagine01
01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Alright, so people love their ions, and its a good gun, im NOT arguing with that, I just wanted a calm comparison over the ion and other guns, not a ****ing war

vikingshadow
01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Ok, it's time to calm down. No one was attacking you, and it appears this has been a calm discussion to this point. So far, you seem to be taking offense to several of the posts, and I personally have not seen an attack against you.

In the post above, he was just saying that you wouldn't have to complain or make threads because you were owning them with your spyder. Now, continue in a calm manner or ANYONE flaming will be sent away for awhile to chill...

spyderimagine01
01-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I did take offense to several posts, yes. But in my opinion, this isn't a calm thread. But, w/e

So, like I said, I kinda wanted a compairison, so how would you compare a stock 05 electra to an ION?