Drefish99
01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Looks pretty cool.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/968/dsc0173xd5.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8517/dsc0184yc1.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8439/dsc0187ew2.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7206/dsc0186dj6.jpg

Pretty sexy.

$499 for 4GB. $599 for 8 GB. With 2 year contract it looks like.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7674/dsc0236us4.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-from-macworld-2007-steve-jobs-keynote/

Hoppy11
01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Not cool enough for 600 dollars.

TheRedBarron
01-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Thats nice, if I was into the whole buying the newest cell phone every week and a half I would get it.

marvin-martian
01-09-2007, 01:18 PM
looks really cool and really overpriced. ps3>phone

shunut
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
eh, too expensive for that phone, it will probably have as many problems as their iPods. My PocketPC Phone is way more functional than that phone and is cheaper, so I'll stick with it.

On another Apple note, anybody here that Steve Jobs is on his way out?

xsgmike66x
01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
looks cool, but its cingular, which i dont have. Plus i dont get a new phone till december...

DyNasty9
01-09-2007, 06:08 PM
uhh the fact that its cingular pissed me off soo much.cant believe im going to have to switch networks to get it. my next phone right there, i <3 apple.

anyone also see the new apple TV: http://www.apple.com/appletv/
pretty neato.

Nader
01-10-2007, 03:31 AM
There is also a $500 model......but yeah. I love Apple's products....but $500 or $600 for a phone is exorbitant. Granted, it can do more than any phone.....and better too.

If I had the $$ to blow I'd have it.

I might get one later if the phone I have dies.....and the price goes down.

shunut
01-10-2007, 06:11 AM
It can't do more than any phone. I've looked at what it can do and mine can do everything it can do and then some.

chubb0rz
01-10-2007, 07:02 AM
I started kicking myself when I saw this. I went with sprint instead of cingular and regret it.

DyNasty9
01-10-2007, 07:06 AM
It can't do more than any phone. I've looked at what it can do and mine can do everything it can do and then some.
you can scroll with your finger....and play widescreen movies?:dodgy:

jk, but seriously all the stuff on that phone is pretty revolutionary, visual voicemail,their internet browser, even the whole touch screen.

xtraking
01-10-2007, 07:48 AM
I dont like apple.

shunut
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
you can scroll with your finger....and play widescreen movies?:dodgy:

It can play any movie format. It can play any audio format. I can view any picture format. I can record audio and video. I can take pictures. My phone as a 1.3 mega pixel camera/camcorder. It has a mini sd slot. It has microsoft office (word, power point, excel and access). It has bluetooth, wifi and can act as a wireless modem, meaning I can hook any computer up to it and connect to the internet using it. It has a slide out keyboard. It has a touch screen. Thats just the things I can think of off the top of my head, it can do much, much more.

So, yeah, it can do anything the iPhone can do, and then some.

I dont like apple.

Dido.

Hoppy11
01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't need to watch movies on my phone. I also don't need internet access. All I need my phone to do is make and recieve calls.. and text messages. I can see how email can be useful to some people, but beyond that everything is pointless to me.

chubb0rz
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't need to watch movies on my phone. I also don't need internet access. All I need my phone to do is make and recieve calls.. and text messages. I can see how email can be useful to some people, but beyond that everything is pointless to me.
You are thinking close minded...its more than just a phone.

You have to think of it as a ipod, phone and wireless device in one. It is rather pricey but you have to expect that with new technology.

durrell
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Basically..think of it this way. An 8GB iPod Nano is going to run you what..250 bucks? Then to get a smart phone capable of what this will do you are looking at another 350 probably. It's definitely priced reasonably for what you're getting.

But I'd take my Razr and a Nano over that anyday..just because I wouldn't like having them together.

*EM1-Master*
01-10-2007, 12:08 PM
So I say we revoke Josh's first amendment right to talk about Apple. :)

Always been an Apple fanboy, always will be.

Censorship FTW. :)

shunut
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I say we revoke EM1's posting right :banned:

j/k :D

*EM1-Master*
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Nevarrrr! Haha but seriously. I'm beginning to think that Steve Jobs murdered your dog or something when you were a young boy. You hate on him so much... And it makes me giggle like a little school girl.

shunut
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Its not Steve Jobs, its Apple. I just think they are more about quantity than quality and thats what I dislike. I know too many people that have had problems with Apple products, mainly iPods, in the past. They are just too trendy for me. People think that having an iPod makes you cool.

The comment about Steve Jobs losing his job that I made before was a serious comment. I heard on 3 different news shows now that rumor. I was just wondering if anybody else had heard that too.

Hoppy11
01-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I think ipods are useless too. But thats just me.

xtraking
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I think ipods are useless too. But thats just me.
I like my ipod, however i do not like the way they are built... internally wise. I've fixed alot of ipods before, and imo the way the harddrive is setup is dumb.

Nader
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Its not Steve Jobs, its Apple. I just think they are more about quantity than quality and thats what I dislike. I know too many people that have had problems with Apple products, mainly iPods, in the past. They are just too trendy for me. People think that having an iPod makes you cool.

The comment about Steve Jobs losing his job that I made before was a serious comment. I heard on 3 different news shows now that rumor. I was just wondering if anybody else had heard that too.

Someone's jealous. :D
JP.

durrell
01-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I have to say, most of the problems with iPods are user error. When you have to update the software they're easy to mess up. And you can't complain about Apple's customer service..they had my iPod back to me in 2 days when they fixed it and I'm on the other side of the country.

shunut
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Someone's jealous. :D
JP.

I know I'm really cool but I don't think I'm anything to be jealous of. Its very flattering though. :cool:

As for user error being the problem with iPods. My little sisters both had the same problem with their iPod Nano. Both were listening to music and it just froze. The Apple store was very nice about it and had no problem replacing them.

Hoppy11
01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Apple just wants something they can shove in Microsoft's face.

shunut
01-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Thats the first thing, besides the "I hate Apple", someone has said that I agree with.

chubb0rz
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I have to agree on the user error because everyone in my family has an ipod even my mom, so that is 7 ipods and not one has had problems like people talk about. My sister works for best buy and she gets people bringing them in all the time. I dont know what people do to them but man they mess them up. It is just unreal some of the problems.

Thank goodness they are good on their service, and for that I love apple. Sure its alittle more expensive but I think its higher quailty and service you can count on.

ricochet08
01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
my teacher just informed me that Cisco is supposed to be suing Apple. Cisco had an "iphone" 2 years ago.

i dunno :P

durrell
01-11-2007, 08:41 AM
If you Google iPhone, it comes up under Linksys as one of the first results.

After looking into the phone I really might consider getting one when my upgrade rolls around..it has some sweet features.

shunut
01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
The iPhone isn't the first name they've stolen. Creative Labs, another maker of mp3 players, had the Nano mp3 player way before Apple did.

On the customer service note, thats great Apple has good customer service. I have a Creative Labs mp3 player and have had it for 3 years. However, I'm unaware of Creative's customer service, I've never had to call them :p

And no offense to you iPod fans but the iPod is far from being the best mp3/video player. I'm not just saying this because I don't like Apple I'm saying this because of the research I've done. Since I've been looking for a new mp3 player I've been looking at reviews of iPods, Creative mp3 players, Zunes, ect... In all the reviews I've read, mainly on the ones with video capability (iPod Video, Creative Zen Vision M, Zune) iPods have received horrible reviews. In reviews of both the Zune and Zen I've read tons of people saying that both of those blow the iPod out of the water. However in reading reviews of the iPod, nobody is comparing it to any other player. They are either saying its nice or its garbage. So either iPod owners have a one tract mind and are buying iPods for the name and because its trendy, or they just haven't heard of any other companies that make similar players.

DFSniper
01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
glad you mentioned the Zen. first, i <3 Creative. 2nd, my friend got one for xmas (white, 30gig, etc) and he loves it. sure, its not as slim as an ipod, but IMO it has a better user interface and buttons. the only problem was that he payed like $300-350 for it...

shunut
01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
glad you mentioned the Zen. first, i <3 Creative. 2nd, my friend got one for xmas (white, 30gig, etc) and he loves it. sure, its not as slim as an ipod, but IMO it has a better user interface and buttons. the only problem was that he payed like $300-350 for it...

Wow, thats a lot for the Zen Vision M. I'm going to buy one pretty soon here and they are going for about $200 shipped everywhere I'm looking. I know its not as thin as the iPod Video, I compared them, there isn't a big difference. Plus from what I've read the Creative is way more user friendly and has better software.

*EM1-Master*
01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
iPods are eye candy. They're the prettiest. And I like pretty.

DFSniper
01-11-2007, 12:04 PM
got this on ebay for $60 a while back (except in white):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/DFSniper/vl547.jpg

and its pretty much a rip off of a Nano. but if all you want is pretty then i'd get one, theyre cheap, if youre not worried about space.

xtraking
01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
well how the quality?

shunut
01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
iPods are eye candy. They're the prettiest. And I like pretty.

There it is, thats all they are. If we were all blind or if we based everything of functionality and quality the iPod would be at the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately we tend to base our decision of appearance first.

Hoppy11
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
iPods are also trendy. Everyone has one so people who don't just go with the flow and buy whatever one else has. If everyone has it.. it must be the best right? :dodgy:

badlandsrox
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
ok, i dont mean to be devils advocate (... wait, acutally i do, but anyway...)
But aside from playing music, what else does an MP3 player actually need?
it may have a difficult interface, but it gets easier with time, and if it plays MP3's then what else do you need, does it need anything other than an on, off, play, pause, next, and volume? no, it doesnt even need a screen, everything else is just icing on the cake, that we dont really need, if the sound quality is good (and ipods have amazing sound, ive had a Zen vision M, Iriver H10, and 3 ipods. Notice theres 3 ipods? my zen vision M was returned in 3 days, my H10 broke down, and was discontinued, and my first ipod was stolen, so i got 2 (nano, and video) and i absolutley love them). Also, Itunes, has to be THE BEST interface for putting music on your MP3 player, it works better than WMP (i deleted that cuz i <3 Itunes), which so many run on, and some smaller compaines have their own, but with their sales minimal, compared to the ipod, they dont have the resources to improve it).

Hob Hayward
01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I personally have the Creative Zen Vision M and I love it. If you plan on ever watching movie with it the vision M has the advantages of playing DivX and XviD movies. Also, unlike the Ipod it has a handy drag and drop interface so you can go into the player's as a directory and adjust files how you want. It also has a an Apple like sync capability so if you use their media player, when you add new music to your library and hook up the player, it will automatically load your new music on. I personally use Winamp which works nicely with the Vision M. Also the Vision M has double the battery life of the Ipod and a higher quality screen that looks nicer. Once you get used to the interface its actually much more efficient than the Ipod's interface. One disadvantage you might think is that it is significantly thicker than the current ipods, its about the same dimensions as the gen4 ipod. Though I don't find that it impacts much its acctually easier to hold onto.

I forgot to mention, the M auto downscales movies to fit the screen your watching on (no conversion neccessary) and then when you plug in a an A/V out cable and hook it up to a TV it will upscale the quality of the picture to fit that screen. Movie playback is the true advantage of the vision M. Oh yeah and the stock earbuds are higher quality than the ipod's (my friend and I compared them side by side). Another tribute to Creative's high quality products.

I must comment on itunes's suckiness. It is bloated, it is slow, its a memory hog, who the hell wants to SYNC music? I use winamp to manage my music, and its really quite better than itunes, main reason why: you can upload music from people's ipods, from almost any mp3 player there is as well as giving them your music at the same time.

shunut
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Not really much more needs to be said than that right there.

leed
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I personally have the Creative Zen Vision M and I love it. If you plan on ever watching movie with it the vision M has the advantages of playing DivX and XviD movies. Also, unlike the Ipod it has a handy drag and drop interface so you can go into the player's as a directory and adjust files how you want. It also has a an Apple like sync capability so if you use their media player, when you add new music to your library and hook up the player, it will automatically load your new music on. I personally use Winamp which works nicely with the Vision M. Also the Vision M has double the battery life of the Ipod and a higher quality screen that looks nicer. Once you get used to the interface its actually much more efficient than the Ipod's interface. One disadvantage you might think is that it is significantly thicker than the current ipods, its about the same dimensions as the gen4 ipod. Though I don't find that it impacts much its acctually easier to hold onto.

I forgot to mention, the M auto downscales movies to fit the screen your watching on (no conversion neccessary) and then when you plug in a an A/V out cable and hook it up to a TV it will upscale the quality of the picture to fit that screen. Movie playback is the true advantage of the vision M. Oh yeah and the stock earbuds are higher quality than the ipod's (my friend and I compared them side by side). Another tribute to Creative's high quality products.

I must comment on itunes's suckiness. It is bloated, it is slow, its a memory hog, who the hell wants to SYNC music? I use winamp to manage my music, and its really quite better than itunes, main reason why: you can upload music from people's ipods, from almost any mp3 player there is as well as giving them your music at the same time.

I've been considering getting a new Zen player, as an update to my Box of a Zen Touch (it's my second one, and it's taken a lot of abuse). With that, Creative's customer service is wonderful, but half the time you never need it, because what problems there ever are (usually harddrive problems, and user error AKA: Drop it, heads get jammed, shows error, doesn't turn on, etc.) However, after having a corrupted harddrive and trying everything that I could to fix it (it was probably from the large amount of dropping onto soft surfaces I did) I emailed Creative. They said to ship it in, and I got it back in two weeks. Well no, I didn't. I got another one back in two weeks. Pretty much brand new in box, just no box. So I was pleased. I wasn't ticked off that I couldn't save the music, because I wouldn't have been able to do so anyways, well I could have, but it would have cost some dinero. And I already had it on my computer. Back before Videos came about, I definitely thought the Zen Touch was > iPods. Yes, they're more heavy, but they can certainly take more abuse, as well as last longer, and have a bigger harddrive, for what used to be half the price. And you don't have to use iTunes, which I despise, and the whole .AAC format.

More on-topic...

Josh said before that he thought the iPhone would have as much problems as their iPods. But, as far as I know, most people don't have problems with their iPods, unless they have the Video iPods, or older generations. Reason being, harddrives. Apple doesn't tell their customers that running around (literally) with their iPod's MicroDrives strapped onto their biceps, or belt is actually bad for it. It's considered shock. And if anyone has ever had a chance to look at a Toshiba or Hitachi microdrive, they'll notice the little warning sticker that talks about shock (not static/electric) in terms of dropping the little sucker. Although the thing is built to be small, and to be ever more portable, the MicroDrives (as with all MP3 players that contain MicroDrives, Zen players included) are not designed to put up with the use they're put through. Even if it's just jogging. Each step of the jog is one step closer to the harddrive corrupting from physical error or jamming. Which brings me onto the next point. With a 500 dollar price tag (which is HONESTLY not bad considering how much phone service costs, and how much other phones are costing these days), I would say you certainly get what you pay for. I'm not saying I would break out 500 cash for it, but if you've got 500, and you're thinking about it, I'd go for it. The iPhone runs of flash memory, much like the Shuffle, Nano/New Mini, and new Shuffles run off of, so I wouldn't be worried about harddrive corruptions like that one would find with an iPod Video. I actually think, with the size of MicroSD Cards (if any of you have seen them/heard of them/held them) you could probably make a 100GB MicroDrive (but a Flash drive, just the same size) out of it, and solve a LOT of problems concerning heat with laptops and their harddrives. As well as straight up harddrive corruption due to shock. But I don't understand why it hasn't been done yet, though I'm sure there is a reason.

As for the whole iPod hype, I'm not quite sure about it myself either. I personally will never get an iPhone, simply because I could not force myself to put up 500 dollars for a phone. Or 500 dollars at all is beyond my account itself. But I don't think anyone should be trash-talking Apple or iPod's because of past experiences. Or just because they hate the whole hype thing. I hate the hype thing too, and I know that there are better companies that put out better, cheaper, easier to work out problems (if there are any) products. But Apple is a company. They make more money than I will ever make in 10 lifetimes. So if they have something that everyone is going to buy, more power to them. So long as they don't take over the world, and are allowed a monopoly on all things technological.

vikingshadow
01-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Well, I got my Ipod in a trade for a gun, and it's never given me any problems. I don't know a single thing about it, other than it holds my music and I can download my exercise programs into it. Other than that, I just use it. It's never given me any problems, and I never buy into the hype.

I think people tend to think too much about things. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!

shunut
01-12-2007, 06:28 AM
But I don't think anyone should be trash-talking Apple or iPod's because of past experiences.

Thats the beautiful thing about the good old US of A, we can.

I'm also trying to show people that there is more than just Apple out there when it comes to iPod type devices. I could careless if people buy iPods, thats their decision, another wonderful thing about USA, we make our own decisions. If people want to spend money on something that has a history of problems because its cool, fine, the iPod isn't the first time its happened.

badlandsrox
01-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I got my Ipod in a trade for a gun, and it's never given me any problems. I don't know a single thing about it, other than it holds my music and I can download my exercise programs into it. Other than that, I just use it. It's never given me any problems, and I never buy into the hype.

I think people tend to think too much about things. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!

:yeahthat: