PDA

View Full Version : Alright. Little help in paintball history.

silentpaintballfreak
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
My little brother wants to test the consistency of co2 vs. n2 for his science fair. We all know n2 will be better but we need some facts. First question is what was used first and why? n2 or co2? Should we use n2 or HPA or Compressed Air? I was more towards n2 because it is scientific. He hasnt played in a couple of years and finally got him back into the sport. The term consistency will be accuarcy, distance and speed. I want to go in more with this and test true bps. but he is only in sixth grade and mom doesnt want the teacher to think he is cheating. lol. so can someone help. oh yeah. We plan to use a trilogy cocker for this, since it has a reg and is fairly well known. And it is his pride and joy. So thank you for any help!

Hossy
01-07-2007, 06:37 PM
n2, hpa, and compressed air are all the same thing

calebh
01-07-2007, 06:54 PM
well, practically, yes. n2 is the nitrogen gas. hpa and compressed air are the same thing (compressed everyday breathable air), but since the atmosphere is 70ish% nitrogen, there's not a lot of difference when it comes down to it

/geek

i believe co2 was used first because it was already used for marking trees or cattle or whatever.

/history teacher

silentpaintballfreak
01-08-2007, 04:01 AM
yes i knew they were all the same thing. i just wanted to be sure to use n2 because it sounds scientific. now on the co2 being used first. i can see were your coming from. but why did they use air? why not propane? or gun powder?

turbo chicken
01-08-2007, 07:41 AM
for gunpowder i'd say that the heat would have damaged the balls ... possibly the same with propane...

MVS1
01-08-2007, 08:50 AM
I would guess that the reason propane was not considered is the numerous what if's, what if your dry firing and smoking, etc, yeah you may say "why" but believe me there are people out there that would end up doing just that. Now why CO2 first, because CO2 cartidges have been around for as long as I can remember, pellet guns, etc. And only naturally somebody would start experimenting with different types of propellents and larger volume cylinders. And just like everything else evolution took over.

durrell
01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Have you guys not ever heard of the Tippmann that runs off of propane?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tippmann.com%2Fproduct_guide% 2FmarkerDetails.aspx%3Fcategoryid%3D4&ei=UIqiRenML6aYgwSPyvT5Cg&usg=__xakQA9vANlnvKHqpBAXZvAS0jAU=&sig2=eJG7IfDfBpp1Iy1EldH8sQ

Nenkitsune
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
co2 i guess was used first because it was cheap. hpa tanks are really expensive, and when paintball first started, were even more expensive. as for bps testing, you should use some sort of chrono graph that can be atached to a computer, then rip a hopperful on the co2 and show what happens to it's consistancy.

Halucin8
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
the safety measures for propane weren't around yet. the tippman c3 propane marker jsut came out. do some reseach in to nelson he is credited with the foirst paintball and may find out more info about propellants they used when designing the first paintball and why.