PDA

View Full Version : compare

mjr.payne
01-16-2006, 09:31 AM
how does this gun compare to the tippman a-5?

PandaTruenoGTS
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
My opinion it outclasses the A5 easily. Especially if your basng it on price range. The A5 and MR2 are about the same price stock to stock. The base A5 doesnt come with a stock, you eirther have to buy it seperately or buy the bigger package to get it. Where as the MR2 has the stock from the factory. The A5 is also a mechanical single finger trigger with a firing rate of 15bps (if you can squeese off that many which is more difficult due to it being mechanical) compared to the electric double trigger of the MR2 which is also adjustable and very light and of coarse capable of 25bps. Another flaw of the A5 is the plastic cocking mechanisim (MR2 is an all metal closed bolt design) The pastic cocker is very thin and seems very weak and you actually have to cock it twice to use it. You have to cock the bolt and then cock the hopper back as well. It seems a little too complex to be a mechanical semi auto marker. I'v shot both guns and I actually prefered my M98 over the A5 and definately liked the MR2 over the A5. I guess it all depends on how you like to play really. If you like a slower more flashy gun with alot of "features" then the A5 is for you. If you want something durable, fast shooting, electronic, and a little more simple in design then the MR2 is for you. Though I dont like that attitude of most A5 owners myself, they act just like the ION owners of scenario. They think thier gun is better than any others on the market.

ooglieboogliebob
01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Though I dont like that attitude of most A5 owners myself, they act just like the ION owners of scenario. They think thier gun is better than any others on the market.

I agree with that. They flash their gun around and say "look at this, it's got Response Trigger, and cyclone feed, and other unneeded stuff" ... it's not even that great ... and it's not field legal ... yet when we play they brag ... for ions .. my ion friend just plays, and just pwns (doesn't really play that much anymore) ... IONS are way overrated though

QRFleader
01-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I love killin those guys with my mr1 woot

I also put an E grip off of a spyder e99 and it worked great, basicaly converted my MR1 to an MR2

nitrobassboats
01-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Well i find theres only one real comparison bewteen c98s and a5s
to the MR2
the color black,
This was and is genius by Kingman without a doubt,the Tippys clunk along and the MR2 spits venom gusee thats why its a SPYDER
http://www.anywhereenterprises.com/1/1/a?a=dF&p=y7PqqzERZqqzOAApQZOAApQZqqz

jarhead3241
01-19-2006, 04:10 PM
from wut i heard the mr2 seriously beats the a-5

Fets
03-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow... you are crazy. I own a Pilot ACS and an A5.

1st of all...

an A5 with an E-grip is capped at 15 BPS in full auto.
an MR2 is capped at 13 BPS in full auto.

2nd... Plastic cocking mechanism? What are you talking about? I have never heard of anyone breaking the cocking mechanism on an A5.

3rd... You cock the gun and then charge the cyclone. This is no different than cocking your spyder and turning on your Revvy.

If you like a slower more flashy gun with alot of "features" then the A5 is for you. If you want something durable, fast shooting, electronic, and a little more simple in design then the MR2 is for you.

This is just a dumb statement - seriously. You make the case that an A5 is not durable, fast shooting, electronic, or simple in design! When in fact they possess each of those qualities.

Look - I love my spyder & I really hate Kingman vs Tippmann crap. I just don't like to see people manipulate the opinions of others thru lies - just to make themselve's feel better. This wasn't meant to be abbrassive, but I clearly think you made some erronious statments about the comparison of these two fine markers.

Primal
03-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree MR 2 is better :)

QRFleader
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
A5 is a good marker, I just donmt want to spend the money to get it the way I want, Im cheap

maddog
03-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Let me tell you the MR2 is not the gun as the A-5. The MR2 is a paint choppin dood without changing the detents and the barrel.

NextoN
03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
In my opinion the MR2 is better than A5. I have both markers but I specially like my MR2 more than the A5. It's just so much more accuarate!

MR2 & A5: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Ole159/MR22.jpg

You can say what you want, but I love my MR2.

Alien
03-11-2006, 07:14 AM
what did u modified on your mr2 ?? .

Ares
03-11-2006, 07:56 AM
it looks stock to me

ooglieboogliebob
03-11-2006, 09:54 AM
looks like you need an electro hopper for that mr2 :)

NextoN
03-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh I got the Evo II just after i took the picture:) but it works well in semi almost never chops in the marker. The barrel tho is another thing..

ooglieboogliebob
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
hmm .. yeah might want to invest in that :) ... and after that next might be a new tank .. maybe

NextoN
03-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Nope I don't fire 400 rounds in one single game..I refill my air tank after every game.. So the air tank should't be a problem.. But I get alot of ballbreak inn the barrel with cheap paint.. But that's just because it's cold outside..

I'm going to buy me a J&J cermaic barrel next.. :) and ofcourse a new remote that can fire at high rates of fire..
:)

NextoN
03-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi will this barrel fit my spyder mr2 :) ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-Barrel-14-Inch-Ceramic-2-Piece-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7225994365QQcategoryZ47233QQcmdZViewI tem

Hob Hayward
03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Wha, you want a remote with your hpa tank why?

As to the A-5/MR2 thing, comon people, they're both great markers, hell I'm a spyder lover, but when I try out my friends a-5 or my other firnds 98c they're still great guns, spyders and tippmanns are both high quality low cost markers. However, once upgrades spyders own teh crap outa tippmanns :P

JamesZ28
03-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Im just hoping the MR2 will be as durable and unbreakable as the A-5, Ive got a WAS board in a LPK A-5,its avg 17bps right now, really no point in getting anymore bps, fields are starting to limit full auto now to 15 bps.

tlbspyderman
05-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Will other aftermarket barrels made for Spyder's fit the new MR series?

Highbinder
05-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Nexton, I'm not sure if the barrel you posted would fit through the shroud. That seems to be the only hard part about fidning a barrel upgrade. On another note, can anyone reccomend a reliable paint for my MR2? I'm tired of messin with the cheap stuff...

lilc
05-13-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll be a vocal minority here...

The MR2 is a very cool gun, but a Tippmann A-5 with an E-Grip is simply tougher, more versatile, and packs (slightly) more firepower.

The Spyder barrel, by virtue of being significantly longer than the Tippy's 8-1/2-incher, probably gives the MR2 a slight edge in out-of-the-box accuracy, but both markers benefit from ditching the stock barrel at the first opportunity. And the A-5 lets you choose from a wider range of barrels than the MR2, which is saddled with a restrictive body shroud.

The A-5's Cyclone feed system is great, adds less weight to the marker than the high-ROF e-hopper required by an MR2 (which also costs $), and maintains a lower shooting profile.

An A-5 w/ E-grip will run you at least $50 more than an MR2, but once you add in the cost of the MR2's mandatory e-hopper, it winds up costing about the same.

The Spyder MR Series markers are actually incredibly tough -- but NOT Tippmann tough. The A-5, even with its increaded complexity compared to the Model 98, remains one of the toughest guns on the planet. Period.

Versatility by virtue of its design is the biggest comparative selling point for the A-5 over the MR2 with me. Short of making a truly quiet sniper rifle (which you can't do with an MR2 either), there is no role in woods paintball you can't easily configure an A-5 to fill. The MR1 is actually a more versatile gun in this regard than its big brother, the MR2. The shroud, airline cover, and other features of the MR2 body, while cosmetic and, in some cases, practical, impose a variety of configuration limitations that are difficult to overcome.

I still think the MR2 is a nice gun with a ton of cool features -- but I wouldn't give up my A-5.

new_Faction64
05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll be a vocal minority here...

The MR2 is a very cool gun, but a Tippmann A-5 with an E-Grip is simply tougher, more versatile, and packs (slightly) more firepower.

The Spyder barrel, by virtue of being significantly longer than the Tippy's 8-1/2-incher, probably gives the MR2 a slight edge in out-of-the-box accuracy, but both markers benefit from ditching the stock barrel at the first opportunity. And the A-5 lets you choose from a wider range of barrels than the MR2, which is saddled with a restrictive body shroud.

The A-5's Cyclone feed system is great, adds less weight to the marker than the high-ROF e-hopper required by an MR2 (which also costs $), and maintains a lower shooting profile.

An A-5 w/ E-grip will run you at least $50 more than an MR2, but once you add in the cost of the MR2's mandatory e-hopper, it winds up costing about the same.

The Spyder MR Series markers are actually incredibly tough -- but NOT Tippmann tough. The A-5, even with its increaded complexity compared to the Model 98, remains one of the toughest guns on the planet. Period.

Versatility by virtue of its design is the biggest comparative selling point for the A-5 over the MR2 with me. Short of making a truly quiet sniper rifle (which you can't do with an MR2 either), there is no role in woods paintball you can't easily configure an A-5 to fill. The MR1 is actually a more versatile gun in this regard than its big brother, the MR2. The shroud, airline cover, and other features of the MR2 body, while cosmetic and, in some cases, practical, impose a variety of configuration limitations that are difficult to overcome.

I still think the MR2 is a nice gun with a ton of cool features -- but I wouldn't give up my A-5.

I agree lilc, just don't forget, the shroud and foregrip are all removeable (I've seen them both off, doesn't look bad at all)...

Great point about the prices also.

Another point, is that VERY many people have the A-5, it's all I see on woodsball forums, which to me, makes it a less appealing gun to have.

Hob Hayward
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, plus the cyclone feed isn't all that great, on my friends A-5 it just ceased to work and he can't figure out whats wrong with it, so for every shot he has to actuate the manual cyclone feed thing... It really sucks.

Eric182
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey

I'm going to have to agree with 'lilc' on this one. I am an MR-2 owner, and a 98 custom owner, and I have also used a friends A5 for a day, so I'm trying not to be biased here (asking which is better on a spyder forum seems kinda one-sided).

Both guns have their strengths and weaknesses. I'll try to make a list to the best of my ability.

Spyder Mr-2:

Strengths

-Electric trigger makes it able to cycle a high rate of fire (even though the advertised 25bps is quite the exaggeration).
-Delrin ACS bolt prevents ball chopping extremely well.
-small, compact design
-cool stlying (in my opinion)

Weaknesses:

- THAT REDICULOUS BARREL SHROUD! it limits the type of barrel you put on it to a J&J or an APEX. I know your able to remove it, but i think it looks rediculous without it.
-The feedneck that makes your hopper stick out alot, preventing a low profile
-The detent issue
-very loud
-i have had some issues with the internals of mine messing up and i have had to bring it to a spyder tech to get fixed several time, I might have just gotten a lemon though.

Tippman A-5

Strengths:

-Reliable
-Cool stock cyclone feed system keeps a low profile and saves money for a pricey hopper
-quiet
-extremely customizable

Weaknesses

-comparitivly low rate of fire
-low "bang for your buck"

Both guns are similar in design. If you are want a reliable gun thats there and ready to go everytime, I'd go with a tippman a-5. If your looking for a gun with cool styling, high rate of fire, and good performance (when it wants to), the Mr-2 is the way to go.

Well, that's about it for me. I tried to make it as fair and unbiased as a could.
Thanks