PDA

View Full Version : '06 Electra or Ion?

Nashorn
01-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm trying to decide what my next marker is going to be. I am currently looking at the Ion and the '06 Electra. I'm looking at the Electra just off of looks alone. It's the sexiest painball gun I've ever seen. I'm also looking at the Ion because ot so McFreakin' popular and it's an efficient and smooth shootin' gun.

I guess my question is whether or not I can expect accuracy and performance from an '06 Electra that is equal to or better than the Ion. I have also been told that Spyders are user friendly and easy to maintain while the Ions are very maintenance prone (my friends' Ions always seem to leak alot).

I guess one of the biggest hurdles would be that Spyders seem not to be taken seriously and they don't seem to be very upgradeable. There is an almost endless pile of functional and cosmetic upgrade parts for the Ions. I see a lot of threads about Spyders and a lot of guys seem to be happy with their guns. It would be nice to be "different" where I play since so many guys use Tippmans and SP guns. It would be nice to show people that a Spyder can hang.

pb34
01-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure about performance wise, because I've never owned neither a Electra or an ION. But Electras are completely upgradable. There are so many options both for looks and performance. If thats one of the things you are worried about, dont be.

YouveBeenBunk'D
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
i would definatly go with the '06 electra
it is reknown for its managable maintanace
and is totally upgradeable
it is also a well rounded gun right out of the box
the ion on the other hand isnt the greatest out of the box
it really needs a lot of upgrades to be able to shoot fast and be reliable
so i would personally recommend the electra but its your choice :)

spider_pilot06
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
umm electra even tho they are a little bit more but the electra will last longer

invisibledrummer
01-04-2007, 01:02 PM
definitely the electra. i own one and it shoots great out of the box as well as being very maintainence friendly. it takes about 10 seconds to take out the bolt and striker, lube then and put them back in and bam, your guns ready to shoot. being a spyder, you can clean it at the field if you ever have a chop, which you will hardly ever have unless your paint is to big or your hopper is to slow (or if you turn the eyes off :p). Ions are not easy to disassemble and clean quickly like at the field, and they arent the greatest out of the box.

My opinion, go with the electra. plenty of ups, and it rips as hard as the ion.
but its your choice.

Hope i helped

Drummer

Triple xXx
01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I spoke with Kingman today and I do know that they discontinued the Electra w/Eye.

pb34
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
They may have discontinued it, but stores will still probably be selling it for a while.

Halucin8
01-04-2007, 02:00 PM
instead of the electra how about the vs3 then upgrades are out there and more are on the way. it has eyes runs at low pressures. and shoots great out of the box. if you want the trocking trigger. I wouls save the money and buy the vs2 same gun with a reguloar trigger though.

Nashorn
01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

The VS3 is not an option for me simply because it's hideous. I don't know why they couldn't have stuck with the same frame and made improvements to it.

You can still pick one up on eBay.

So, is the '06 Electra a high pressure gun?

Triple xXx
01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

The VS3 is not an option for me simply because it's hideous. I don't know why they couldn't have stuck with the same frame and made improvements to it.

You can still pick one up on eBay.

So, is the '06 Electra a high pressure gun?

Yes, the Electra is high pressure...

My girl bought be an Electra for X-Mas. I was going to trade it in for a VS3 but people have been telling me that the Electra and the VS3 are basically the same (except for the valves)

Hob Hayward
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
The 0-6 electra is sortof a half-breed its not high pressure but its not low, it runs at 500 psi out of the box. With A higher flowing VA and a new reg I've heard you can get it into the 300psi range easily.

Command2A
01-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm trying to decide what my next marker is going to be. I am currently looking at the Ion and the '06 Electra. I'm looking at the Electra just off of looks alone. It's the sexiest painball gun I've ever seen. I'm also looking at the Ion because ot so McFreakin' popular and it's an efficient and smooth shootin' gun.

I guess my question is whether or not I can expect accuracy and performance from an '06 Electra that is equal to or better than the Ion. I have also been told that Spyders are user friendly and easy to maintain while the Ions are very maintenance prone (my friends' Ions always seem to leak alot).

I guess one of the biggest hurdles would be that Spyders seem not to be taken seriously and they don't seem to be very upgradeable. There is an almost endless pile of functional and cosmetic upgrade parts for the Ions. I see a lot of threads about Spyders and a lot of guys seem to be happy with their guns. It would be nice to be "different" where I play since so many guys use Tippmans and SP guns. It would be nice to show people that a Spyder can hang.

Easy Answer is, Spyders are the easiest markers to field clean and/or repair. Not sure how much you play or intend to play, but issue's happen with all markers (even the big boy's DYE, Angel). ION's are not blow back design's like Spyders are. It sounds like you are a weekend warrior who just wants to have a good time playing the sport with a reliable marker. (keep it simple)

Nashorn
01-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Easy Answer is, Spyders are the easiest markers to field clean and/or repair. Not sure how much you play or intend to play, but issue's happen with all markers (even the big boy's DYE, Angel). ION's are not blow back design's like Spyders are. It sounds like you are a weekend warrior who just wants to have a good time playing the sport with a reliable marker. (keep it simple) You nailed me pretty good. I'm a woodsballer who plays twice a month. Right now, I'm using a Tippmann A5. I love its ruggedness, but I can't get the accuracy and/or the consistency out of it that I want. I tried running it on HPA to try to overcome some of the problems inherent to CO2, but that caused more problems. So, since I couldn't get my existing gun to run worth a flip on HPA, I decided that I needed a gun made for HPA. Built like an AK...shoots like one too.

Most of my team uses Ions. This has the benefit of having a group of guys to help troubleshoot with and swap/borrow parts from. I've shot 'em and am very impressed with thier accuracy straight out of the box. It's a smooth shooter being a low pressure gun. However, I have also witnessed a lot of thier problems esp. with leaks. If your regulator blows or you turn the adjustment the wrong way and pump the internal pressure above 200 psi, you will have to rebuild the whole McFreakin' gun because you blew all your seals and lines. My niece got one for Christmas and it's already on its way back to Smart Parts due to some problems. Deadly accuracy...at a price.

I have perused the Electra user manual and it does seem pretty simple. It may be a blowback, but a lot of the guns I see the pros use seem to be blowbacks as well. Other than the battery drain issue and no EYES on full auto (which is a mode I would never use) that I've read about, I've heard no other complaints about the '06 Electra. All the user reviews drool over the rocking trigger (Wow, did Spyder think of that?:D ). When I tell other guys that the other gun I am considering is a Spyder, I get these looks and comments like, "are you out of your mind?" I don't understand why there are so many Spyder haters out there. Spyder makes so many models of guns, I figure they're doin' alright and sell a lot of 'em. They seem to have this stigma amoung non-Spyder crowds. I have to admit, that is one of the concerns stopping me from ordering one off of ebay right now. Sexy gun...will it perform enough to put down the haters?

In the end, if I went with the Electra, I'd have to be my own gun tech/expert as no one else on my team owns one. I would be the black sheep of my team. But, if it will be more accurate and consistent than my CO2 powered A5, it would make all the difference in the world to me.

BtW, thanks for all the comments, guys.:)